Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:28 PM

27 posts, read 25,016 times

Advertisements

Whoa there killer...Rick, I own my little 2/3 acre and born and raised here in Madison. I do know a lot of the landowners, builders, and developers from living here all my life. Most are dead and the children have taken over the business or land ownership.i love Madison, Huntsville and most of North Alabama. I love seeing the area grow with families moving in from all over for the job market. What I do not want to happen is what is happening now. You sound like a very angry bitter person. These issues that I bring up in this post are important issues if your a tax payer and care about the direction of the area. I wished I owned some of those beautiful acres, developed or not, owning land in those areas are definitely a plus. Control your emotions and look at what’s happening around the city. Go to a council and school board meeting, talk to business owners, talk with builders, talk with people that have lived here for awhile. I can not do your homework for you. Good luck and go trash pandas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 05:50 AM

609 posts, read 530,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squat700 View Post
If it's zoned "Ag" that means it's agricultural use. The land can only be used to grow crops Until it is rezoned. The Huntsville Toyota is walking distance from the Madison annexed land was also Ag. If you do not think the school board runs the city counsel then your head is in the sand. If you do not understand the questions then there is no way you can understand the answers. Do not take my word on any of this, read for yourself, look at what's happening. When your stuck sitting in the endless traffic every morning and afternoon, do a little research, ask why. I wonder if my "misunderstanding " is flawing my opinion. If only I were an "educator ".. anyway go Trash Pandas
As I said in my question my neighborhood is zoned AG in that map. There are streets and houses there so "the land can only be used to grow cops until it is rezoned" is obviously not true.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 AM

That depends on the phasing. If you live in a neighborhood that is in AG, the developers are keeping the unphased portion in Ag so they can pay current use tax. The minute they rezone it, they have to pay for the rezoning. They are not going to do that until they have plans to sale that portion of the land, a house or whatever sits on the unphased. If portion. The map that someone posted is out of date so you can’t go by that. I would assume you probably pay about 1k or a little more for a house in a subdivision, if your not, I wouldn’t say anything about it. If it is still in Ag or current use then the tax would be about 30 bucks for the same parcel. They reassess every 2 yrs so they will update it and catch it. Grass is considered “pasture land” and that is considered Ag. It is defined by “crops” or Agricultural such as trees, grass, chicken houses, etc.. doesn’t have to be cotton, corn, etc...next question

Old 04-21-2019, 10:55 AM

12,990 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squat700 View Post
That depends on the phasing. If you live in a neighborhood that is in AG, the developers are keeping the unphased portion in Ag so they can pay current use tax. The minute they rezone it, they have to pay for the rezoning. They are not going to do that until they have plans to sale that portion of the land, a house or whatever sits on the unphased. If portion. The map that someone posted is out of date so you can’t go by that. I would assume you probably pay about 1k or a little more for a house in a subdivision, if your not, I wouldn’t say anything about it. If it is still in Ag or current use then the tax would be about 30 bucks for the same parcel. They reassess every 2 yrs so they will update it and catch it. Grass is considered “pasture land” and that is considered Ag. It is defined by “crops” or Agricultural such as trees, grass, chicken houses, etc.. doesn’t have to be cotton, corn, etc...next question
Wouldn't he have had to apply for homestead exemption for tax purposes? They'd catch the zoning error then. It's probably just that the posted map is out of date.

I don't know if they do all the reassessments at the same time for Madison or not, but I just got my reassessment letter last week.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 AM

6 posts, read 8,138 times
The map is from https://www.madisonal.gov/116/Map-Gallery but I'm not sure how up to date it is.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 8,138 times
Although it does say in the text box in the bottom, "Last revised April 2019."

Old 04-21-2019, 04:07 PM

609 posts, read 530,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth27 View Post
Although it does say in the text box in the bottom, "Last revised April 2019."
The map posted is relatively recent because that Hickory Gap Trail of off the eastern end of Eastview is a brand new road with houses still under construction. My neighborhood is over 30 years old yet is listed AG. It is not simply a matter of an outdated map. And yes I pay full residential (with homestead exemption) property tax on my house.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:38 PM

Many of the older neighborhoods are grandfathered in the city to be exempt from certain restrictions and regulations. The good ole days when Madison was just a small agricultural based town. What we are discussing are the new developments, current board and current counsel. We seem to have gone down a rabbit hole. The main purpose of my original post was to bring attention, discussion and thought about the current financial, economic and city planning in the last couple of years. The spin on the property tax is the schools will be overcrowded if we do not get this property tax. Madison has a history of planning and leadership that is horrible and it seems to continue. It seems everything over the last few years is coming to reality. When James Clemens was built, a fool knew that limestone tax would be owed. They knew this when they annexed the land into the city. Some of the land was “donated” by the Nickleson family. They drug it out in court for 2 yrs because they knew but they wanted to portray to the pubic that evil limestone was the culprit Madison built in limestones back yard. As I said before, the same thing is going to happen with these landowners that have been held hostage. Lawsuits are definitely coming. The school issue will be the least of Madison’s problems and all of us that have houses and pay our tax will foot the bill. A repeat of how limestone sued Madison. Madison lost millions in tax revenue and limestone was smart enough to let Madison hang itself. My questions were not meant to be attack and really hate some took it as that. My fear is if this tax passes, it will be the tip of the iceberg. Will it really cure the problem or just kick the cam down the road? I’m sure the campaign will start kicking in as the ads will show children with no education and homeless in the streets. Most will sympathize not knowing the actual problem is not solved just delayed for another 3 yrs or so.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:15 PM

36 posts, read 41,115 times
We’re building in a subdivision with a Madison post office address but it’s actually in Monrovia and tax rate is Huntsville. Just read this thread... will our property taxes be affected?

Old 10-11-2019, 06:19 PM

218 posts, read 278,145 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area