Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 02:40 PM

609 posts, read 530,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squat700 View Post
The leadership seems to think more money will fix the "school" problem. Only 15% of homes in Madison have children that go to the school system, so that means 85% do not have children in the school system. The school board has a pe coach and a chess coach running the school board and they influence the city counsel. That's kinda like getting financial advice from your plumber? The poor mayor seems to be very confused along with an array of individuals that make up a city council that may be the worst in the history of the city. I have lived in Madison 40 years and between the roads, planning, traffic, etc, it's the worst I've seen. They blame it on rapid growth but Madison has had a moritoruim for new development over 2 yrs., the poverty rates are increasing because Triana is building at record pace( the city has no authority over growth there) while they make it impossible for new high end developments to come in. The saving grace is minor league baseball? All this while people moving in are going to Athens, East Limestone, Priveville, etc. Madison is getting expensive compared to areas that have better planning, traffic and all the chips are on the school system. If Madison is so great, why is industry choosing Huntsville, why is the Clift Farm development in Madison county? Why are developers and builders choosing others areas and the only thing left is existing phases in subdivisions that all look exactly the same other than the front door and shutter color? Why does it take 10 min to go thru a 4 way stop? How many tire stores, gas stations and churches can one city have? Madison has to borrow a jail, buy water and utilities from other municipalities, why is most of hwy 72 frontage owned by the city of Huntsville? And a 12 mil tax increase will cure all these problems? And they wanted 20 mil..
The school problem is over crowding. The answer is to build more schools and that does cost money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 03:30 PM

29 posts, read 47,232 times
I don’t know that the OP is in this category, but it’s not uncommon for the retired to lament these tax increases for the schools since they no longer have kids in the school system but had no issues with their children being educated in it. Then they will get pissed off when the kids at McDonald’s are incompetent or the local teenagers breaking into cars and generally wreaking havoc. The cornerstone of an entire community, including your precious property values, is tied to the local schools. The best ROI for any community is the school system. Now if you have evidence of misappropriation of funds or bad stewardship that’s one thing but it comes off as “get off my lawn.”

Old 04-14-2019, 05:51 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,058,681 times
About the only thing the OP has right is that chess is pushed way too hard. Especially in the elementary schools. When the arts (music and art) keep getting shafted in elementary.

The rest of the post? Well, bless his/her heart...

Old 04-14-2019, 07:59 PM

27 posts, read 25,016 times
Thank you for the biography of the chess coach. You've changed my mind. Go Trash Pandas.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:17 PM

21 posts, read 15,837 times
High taxes and Progressive control-freak government kept me from buying in Madison city limits.

Of recent example is the California-esque limits on how high businesses may display their signs. So now (for instance) Rick's BBQ on 72 can't be seen until you are right at it. Yet the ugly power lines soar above. Low signs doesn't help anything, only hurts. Is a case of government asserting its power for the sake of "do something, anything, even if it makes things worse."

Old 04-17-2019, 07:18 AM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCat View Post
High taxes and Progressive control-freak government kept me from buying in Madison city limits.

Of recent example is the California-esque limits on how high businesses may display their signs. So now (for instance) Rick's BBQ on 72 can't be seen until you are right at it. Yet the ugly power lines soar above. Low signs doesn't help anything, only hurts. Is a case of government asserting its power for the sake of "do something, anything, even if it makes things worse."
Well Grumpy, I live in Madison and I like the sign ordinance. Higher signs make the place look junky. They're a bit harder to see but they don't detract nearly as much as the gigantic ones.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Signs and decorum are almost always in contradiction to each other. If Madison wanted to be progressive with signs and get citizens on its side, it would enact an ordinance limiting both the aiming of security lights and the light output at night of the LED display signs.

There is one stretch of 72 that I dread driving at night in the rain. One business has security lights that blind traffic, and at one church the display is so blinding that I swear that Jesus is out to kill those who aren't home after dark. In both cases a good ambulance chaser would earn his client a hefty settlement from the site AND the city/county for allowing a dangerous road hazard to continue.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:27 AM

141 posts, read 178,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Well Grumpy, I live in Madison and I like the sign ordinance. Higher signs make the place look junky. They're a bit harder to see but they don't detract nearly as much as the gigantic ones.

Cary, NC is a beautiful community and part of the reason for that is strictly enforced sign ordinances and design standards for commercial buildings. Davidson, NC is the same and...again...a beautiful community. Dothan is horrendous (in part) because of our "circle" and the ten-zillion signs all rising into the sky competing with each other for space and dominance. We have none of the aforementioned and it shows pretty badly.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:40 AM

170 posts, read 140,429 times
Quote:
These new "higher end" places have phase agreements and impact fees coming so they will be built at about 10-1. 10 average homes about 200k verses verses 1 higher end home. This will slowly erode the schools.

Can you elaborate on this? I don't know what "phase agreements" and "impact fees" are.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:00 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_knows_42 View Post
I don’t know that the OP is in this category, but it’s not uncommon for the retired to lament these tax increases for the schools since they no longer have kids in the school system but had no issues with their children being educated in it. Then they will get pissed off when the kids at McDonald’s are incompetent or the local teenagers breaking into cars and generally wreaking havoc. The cornerstone of an entire community, including your precious property values, is tied to the local schools. The best ROI for any community is the school system. Now if you have evidence of misappropriation of funds or bad stewardship that’s one thing but it comes off as “get off my lawn.”
That's true, but not always true. I'm retired and have been for 10 years, had one child and we sent him to private school. So we've never used the public school system, but I realize the importance of having an excellent school system and I know it takes money to obtain and maintain. So I'm all for the property tax increaser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area