Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 01:06 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
Well, seems to me if a private individual could get a clearance on their own get Top Secret or all three and then you're good to go.
It just doesn't work that way. When a contractor hires you for job that involves classified information the contractor submits your name to the government for a clearance. The government investigates you and if OK gives you a clearance. This clearance is only active when you maintain that job. If you leave that job the clearance becomes inactive. After two years it will expire.

This all says that a clearance is only associated with a specific job. If there is no job then no clearance can be granted or maintained. Wanting it to be otherwise makes no difference.

When I worked as a NASA contractor I received a Confidential Clearance. When I worked for contractors that had contracts with the Department of Defense I had Secret Clearances. This all happened over maybe twenty five years. Outside of when I had these jobs I was not allowed to keep any government clearance active. The only exception was when I left one job the Secret Clearance went inactive. I got another job two months later that also required a Secret Clearance. Since the previous clearance was inactive it was reactivated in a matter of a couple weeks. If the clearance was allowed to expire the request for a clearance would have to start all over. That could easily take four to six months or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 03:26 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,574,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
It just doesn't work that way. When a contractor hires you for job that involves classified information the contractor submits your name to the government for a clearance. The government investigates you and if OK gives you a clearance. This clearance is only active when you maintain that job. If you leave that job the clearance becomes inactive. After two years it will expire.

This all says that a clearance is only associated with a specific job. If there is no job then no clearance can be granted or maintained. Wanting it to be otherwise makes no difference.

When I worked as a NASA contractor I received a Confidential Clearance. When I worked for contractors that had contracts with the Department of Defense I had Secret Clearances. This all happened over maybe twenty five years. Outside of when I had these jobs I was not allowed to keep any government clearance active. The only exception was when I left one job the Secret Clearance went inactive. I got another job two months later that also required a Secret Clearance. Since the previous clearance was inactive it was reactivated in a matter of a couple weeks. If the clearance was allowed to expire the request for a clearance would have to start all over. That could easily take four to six months or more.
Plus there is substantial cost to these clearances paid by the employer correct?
They don’t do it for free.
A quick search, may or may not be current or accurate
A Secret investigation in 2018 cost $433.

A Top Secret investigation in 2018 cost $5,596.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:49 AM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Plus there is substantial cost to these clearances paid by the employer correct?
They don’t do it for free.
A quick search, may or may not be current or accurate
A Secret investigation in 2018 cost $433.

A Top Secret investigation in 2018 cost $5,596.
Yes, it does cost the employer and the employer has to have just cause; e.g. a contract with the government and specifications in the contract calling for the need of specific labor categories or key personnel to have various levels of clearance. The type and level of the clearance will dictate the level of investigation/colonoscopy and hence drive the cost. This also includes the re-investigations.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:02 PM

138 posts, read 155,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Yep, 100% accurate. Even with a college education, it wouldn't hurt to also get certified for a specific operator system.

Many companies have froze hiring during the COVID teleworking unless the government customer is needing something very specific.

If you're a Linux system admin or a SQL dbase admin then shoot a DM to me. Assuming there isn't anything in your past that would prevent you from being able to granted a clearance, I could use you.
Hi Rick in Madison. One of my long time friends is looking to change jobs and is an Oracle and SQL Server Database Administrator. I'd shoot you a DM but I don't know how to do that on here

Old 07-29-2020, 12:30 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel104 View Post
Hi Rick in Madison. One of my long time friends is looking to change jobs and is an Oracle and SQL Server Database Administrator. I'd shoot you a DM but I don't know how to do that on here
Go to one of Rick in Madison's posts, and click on his name in the top left. You'll see an option to "send direct message". Click on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area