Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 08:40 PM

16 posts, read 14,469 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am interested in moving to the Huntsville area. I spoke to a realtor today, and she told me that homes that are priced for $175,000 sell for $200,000. Is that true?
Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 10:07 PM

15 posts, read 16,479 times
That has been my recent experience. There’s no bidding war with the new homes, but there’s a ~1 year waitlist and you can’t sign contract (lock in price) until the homes are 50% complete.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:21 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
I just bought 3 homes back in December and the prices were already heated up. Even back then I was out bid by others on some homes that went above listed prices. Today you will have a hard time finding homes that's listed below $250K and less than $130/ sq ft in a nice neighborhood. If you do find a house you like, starting with a full price offer & perhaps may want to add an "escalation clause", which means if someone offers the same price your offer will automatically increase by $1K upto a limit specified by you. For example, $20K over listed price.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:46 AM

652 posts, read 1,304,565 times
Yes ... I listed a house in South Huntsville last month at $220K and we closed last week at $265K (FYI .. it actually appraised at $262K which shocked me).

Also, not in that same price point but Woodland, Jeff Benton, and Legacy have all now stopped doing presale homes (where the buyer comes in, picks a lot and all their design elements, and the house is built for them). For the foreseeable future, they will only be building spec homes so they can put the floor plan they want on the lot they want. I'm not sure about the others but Jeff Benton will put its available specs on the market on Fridays (30-45 days before completion) and accept offers until the following Monday. It stinks for people like my clients who have been on a waiting list for a year to get the opportunity to choose a lot.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:23 AM

16 posts, read 14,469 times
Wow, thanks for the info.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:42 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
Yes ... I listed a house in South Huntsville last month at $220K and we closed last week at $265K (FYI .. it actually appraised at $262K which shocked me).

Also, not in that same price point but Woodland, Jeff Benton, and Legacy have all now stopped doing presale homes (where the buyer comes in, picks a lot and all their design elements, and the house is built for them). For the foreseeable future, they will only be building spec homes so they can put the floor plan they want on the lot they want. I'm not sure about the others but Jeff Benton will put its available specs on the market on Fridays (30-45 days before completion) and accept offers until the following Monday. It stinks for people like my clients who have been on a waiting list for a year to get the opportunity to choose a lot.
Lindy, is the situation you described just a local thing, or is it statewide as well in the slower growing cities?

Old 04-28-2021, 03:03 PM

375 posts, read 513,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Lindy, is the situation you described just a local thing, or is it statewide as well in the slower growing cities?
This is going on some other places as well. My stepson lives in the Gadsden area and people there are making offers over asking price. The overage amount isn't as much as what's been reported here, though.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:01 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times
Ya, housing market is super tight right now for nearly all of the state, but Huntsville is arguably THE tightest in the state. It's not uncommon for bids to go way higher than what the houses are actually worth

Old 04-28-2021, 05:08 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Ya, housing market is super tight right now for nearly all of the state, but Huntsville is arguably THE tightest in the state. It's not uncommon for bids to go way higher than what the houses are actually worth
I suppose my question is - in the case Lindy's $220K asking and actual selling of $265K (and similar situations) - why not just ask $265K in the first place? It looks like most houses, maybe all, are selling for more than asking, so just go ahead and set the price higher to begin with? Or is it all part of the game?

Keep in mind that I'm no economist or realtor, just an engineer, so may not have a clue whether this would be the right approach. I think I took a credit course in engineering economics at some point many years ago though ....

Old 04-28-2021, 05:23 PM

15 posts, read 16,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I suppose my question is - in the case Lindy's $220K asking and actual selling of $265K (and similar situations) - why not just ask $265K in the first place? It looks like most houses, maybe all, are selling for more than asking, so just go ahead and set the price higher to begin with? Or is it all part of the game?

Keep in mind that I'm no economist or realtor, just an engineer, so may not have a clue whether this would be the right approach. I think I took a credit course in engineering economics at some point many years ago though ....
I asked my agent the same thing. I said if sellers would just tell me how much they’re willing to let the house go for, it would be much easier to make the decision instead of playing this guessing game of how much to offer and what to put on the escalation clause. I think it’s because they don’t know how much people are willing to pay for the house, so they list it at “market” price, which of course, in this market, people are willing to pay $$$$ above listing, and generally sellers want to get as much for the house as they possibly could. Either that, or it’s to attract buyers to come look at the house, because if you list a house for well above market already, potential buyers can get discouraged from touring. I’m no realtor myself - would like to hear what those in the industry think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area