Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 06:59 AM

11 posts, read 10,060 times

Advertisements

Are Madison public schools really as great as the ratings show? I'm interested in the high school level (Bob Jones and Clemens). Is there a major difference between these and Sparkman or Limestone county high schools?

I'm looking to buy a home in or near Madison but I'm undecided on the school district since home prices might be way higher depending on which school zone the house belongs to. I'm also open to private schools. Which ones are the best? What would be the best option for a student who is a very high achiever in academics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 08:39 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Can't tell you from experience, but Madison Schools are all supposed to be very good, as you have found out.

By far the best private school is Randolph in Huntsville (and yes, our son went there for 13 years). It was never a "segregation academy" - just college prep.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
Default Woohoo

Got my loans down to verbatim $126,000! ???? This 0% value is quite nice, in point of fact seeing the amount frequent down, power if I had the money I'd unprejudiced give someone a kickback it off all at once ??

I'm agitated when the tempo comes and advantage is underwrite on FedLoan it disposition be super recondite to even a score off my loans, I heard one girl owed 80k and then after she paid it off she unmoving owed 120k, like god I fancy I don't objective up in a alike resemble ball game ??

Anyways it's just slight seeing the realistic amount of loot go down, like I'm making encouragement under way for now ???? thought I'd ration, not as depressed as in front of lmao

(This does not figure on an additionally student Sallie Mae lend of 30k my mom is paying on me hallow her basics)

Old 05-18-2021, 07:24 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Our children graduated from James Clemens. I have friends who children have graduated from Bob Jones and Sparkman. I cannot say one way or the other which is the best. I can say that we were very happy with James Clemens. Madison City schools are structured to mimic college preparation and also have curriculums focused on various disciplines a student can pursue such as computer science, general engineering, medical studies, construction, and others.

I believe both Madison City and Madison County high schools have opportunities for students to dual enroll and take classes at Calhoun Community College and earn general studies college credit that could transfer to other universities or continuance at Calhoun.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:43 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Chinese mom here, quality of education for my children is top priority. I am a bit judgy when it comes to school - fair warning lol

My eldest has gone to Randolph through 6th grade, because it was the best around. I am transferring her next year to Madison City Schools, Liberty Middle feeding into James Clemens High. Even Randolph, with their $20K plus tuition rates, doctors, and lawyers, cannot keep up with the educational quality of Madison City right now. I have a step child who went to Liberty for 6th grade. My child who went to Randolph, and my step child who went to Madison City, both did a significant amount of virtual schooling this year sitting beside each other in our computer room, where I could see all they were learning. My Randolph kid can write better, for sure. But in math, the class is BEHIND. Like really behind. Of course, I am a Chinese mom, so I teach my kids math at home after school, but still. My third grader can do the Randolph middle school math assignments. It is embarrassing how much money I am paying Randolph for them to be so behind in math.

I finally had enough of it this year. I am pulling her out, and am having her do the math assignments that her step-sister gets at Liberty (in addition to the assignments I give her, of course).

As an aside, I also went to both band concerts. Madison City was so far ahead in the quality of their band program. I about cried.

Anyhow, I don't know what happened to Randolph. They used to be the best around. I don't know if they lost quality, or if Madison City has just increased their quality so fast that they have surpassed them. I suspect the latter.

To the OP - Madison County schools like Sparkman and Limestone County are just fine if your kids are going to live in Alabama their whole lives, and they will only ever need to compete with local Alabamians. The quality of the "standard high school education" is just fine. However, if your kids may be able to be competitive (long term career wise) in a larger market, say nationally, and they need some of the higher offerings (STEM, pre-med, etc) Madison City Schools will make a big difference. Keep in mind, however, that if you would prefer your kids to compete globally, you will still need to heavily supplement any schooling received in the Huntsville / Madison area, public or private.

There are, of course, exceptions, and you will find excellent students at all the schools. But if you're interested in your particular excellent student having the most resources available to increase their access to greater opportunities - right now Madison City Schools are currently on top. That could change - they are building a boarding school in town, and there's some magnet schools in Huntsville to keep watch on. So we'll see.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I believe both Madison City and Madison County high schools have opportunities for students to dual enroll and take classes at Calhoun Community College and earn general studies college credit that could transfer to other universities or continuance at Calhoun.
At Madison City you can also dual enroll with UAH. And it starts in middle school. This year at Liberty, they are offering Finite Math elective dual enrollment with UAH to 8th graders.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Chinese mom here, quality of education for my children is top priority. I am a bit judgy when it comes to school - fair warning lol

My eldest has gone to Randolph through 6th grade, because it was the best around. I am transferring her next year to Madison City Schools, Liberty Middle feeding into James Clemens High. Even Randolph, with their $20K plus tuition rates, doctors, and lawyers, cannot keep up with the educational quality of Madison City right now. I have a step child who went to Liberty for 6th grade. My child who went to Randolph, and my step child who went to Madison City, both did a significant amount of virtual schooling this year sitting beside each other in our computer room, where I could see all they were learning. My Randolph kid can write better, for sure. But in math, the class is BEHIND. Like really behind. Of course, I am a Chinese mom, so I teach my kids math at home after school, but still. My third grader can do the Randolph middle school math assignments. It is embarrassing how much money I am paying Randolph for them to be so behind in math.

I finally had enough of it this year. I am pulling her out, and am having her do the math assignments that her step-sister gets at Liberty (in addition to the assignments I give her, of course).

As an aside, I also went to both band concerts. Madison City was so far ahead in the quality of their band program. I about cried.

Anyhow, I don't know what happened to Randolph. They used to be the best around. I don't know if they lost quality, or if Madison City has just increased their quality so fast that they have surpassed them. I suspect the latter.

To the OP - Madison County schools like Sparkman and Limestone County are just fine if your kids are going to live in Alabama their whole lives, and they will only ever need to compete with local Alabamians. The quality of the "standard high school education" is just fine. However, if your kids may be able to be competitive (long term career wise) in a larger market, say nationally, and they need some of the higher offerings (STEM, pre-med, etc) Madison City Schools will make a big difference. Keep in mind, however, that if you would prefer your kids to compete globally, you will still need to heavily supplement any schooling received in the Huntsville / Madison area, public or private.

There are, of course, exceptions, and you will find excellent students at all the schools. But if you're interested in your particular excellent student having the most resources available to increase their access to greater opportunities - right now Madison City Schools are currently on top. That could change - they are building a boarding school in town, and there's some magnet schools in Huntsville to keep watch on. So we'll see.
Our son went to Randolph and graduated in the mid-1990s. It couldn't have been better, and if it's gone downhill, that's not good to hear. All of his graduating class went to a 4-year college, and about half his graduating class has either PhD or medical degrees. He got a full ride to undergratuate school, a full ride to Tulane, a full ride to FSU for another masters, and a full ride to Georgia for his PhD. A good deal of that was due to Randolph, and the rest due to his intelligence and work ethic.

Is the new boarding school the STEM school being built in the older part of Research Park? If so, I didn't know it was boarding.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
At Madison City you can also dual enroll with UAH. And it starts in middle school. This year at Liberty, they are offering Finite Math elective dual enrollment with UAH to 8th graders.
Isn't that pretty common with high schools these days? My granddaughter will be doing the same in the 8th grade in suburban Atlanta this fall.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Our son went to Randolph and graduated in the mid-1990s. It couldn't have been better, and if it's gone downhill, that's not good to hear. All of his graduating class went to a 4-year college, and about half his graduating class has either PhD or medical degrees. He got a full ride to undergratuate school, a full ride to Tulane, a full ride to FSU for another masters, and a full ride to Georgia for his PhD. A good deal of that was due to Randolph, and the rest due to his intelligence and work ethic.

Is the new boarding school the STEM school being built in the older part of Research Park? If so, I didn't know it was boarding.
I also know folks who went to Randolph in that time period, and your description is spot on. It's why I originally sent mine there.

Unfortunately, they have seemed to lost their "hunger for excellence". I will say that their character building is as strong as ever, and the kids there are all truly good kids. But they definitely seem to be taking the academic pressure off of the kids. There was a suicide at the upper school in 2014 and maybe that's why. But in addition to taking off the pressure, they also seem to be perfectly willing to hold the kids back who want to go farther, for the sake of removing that pressure on their peers. And you know, that's fine for most.

But if you watch the list of where the Randolph Seniors are getting accepted over the past few years, the story is telling.

And yes. Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering. I heard they are affiliated with Alabama School of Math and Science in Mobile. According to their website, they are 50% boarders and 50% commuters. But I also heard they are currently virtual with some presence at Oakwood while their campus is under construction.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Isn't that pretty common with high schools these days? My granddaughter will be doing the same in the 8th grade in suburban Atlanta this fall.
Maybe? It was the first I'd seen of dual enrollment in middle school. Aren't suburban schools in Atlanta also considered to be rather good schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area