Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2021, 02:54 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,737,946 times

Advertisements

We are in the very early stages of considering a move to northern Alabama. We currently live in Williamson County, just south of Nashville. We have two children at Univ. of Alabama and one that will be in high school next year.
My husband’s job is flexible, so we could choose almost anywhere. Would like to stay within 2 hours of Nashville. We think we would like to live on water, but that isn’t a deal breaker. Want a lot size of at least .5 and would prefer larger. We need a good high school, could be private or public. Need an area that is accepting to transplants where we could all make friends. Nashville is transplant central, so it’s super easy to make friends here.

We are considering Huntsville, Madison, Guntersville and Florence. Would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 08:51 PM

13,034 posts, read 9,578,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
We are in the very early stages of considering a move to northern Alabama. We currently live in Williamson County, just south of Nashville. We have two children at Univ. of Alabama and one that will be in high school next year.
My husband’s job is flexible, so we could choose almost anywhere. Would like to stay within 2 hours of Nashville. We think we would like to live on water, but that isn’t a deal breaker. Want a lot size of at least .5 and would prefer larger. We need a good high school, could be private or public. Need an area that is accepting to transplants where we could all make friends. Nashville is transplant central, so it’s super easy to make friends here.

We are considering Huntsville, Madison, Guntersville and Florence. Would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks!
The makeup of the Huntsville area isn't really any different than Nashville - lots of transplants, and they're well accepted. Both areas have a highly educated populace. Madison has two of the best public high schools in Alabama, it's close to I-65, and is less than 2 hours to Nashville, even less to Wiliamson. It couldn't meet your criteria any closer. There's also an outstanding private school in Huntsville (pricey), another pretty close, and several other really good ones.

It's a very short trip for you to just come down and look around.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:51 PM

656 posts, read 594,287 times
RocketDawg hit it spot on.
I live in Madison and have had two kids go through the Madison City school system. I believe it to be good school system and like others have it flaws but will ready your kids for college.

If your desire is to be ”close to” Nashville then maybe Columbia, Ardmore, or Fayetteville (to name a few) would be better choices; however, I do not think they can rival the level of education your children will receive. Please do not take this as disrespecting Guntersville or Florence's school systems in favor of Madison or Huntsville's school systems. I simply cannot comment on them well enough to be helpful.

I whish you good luck.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,737,946 times
Thank you both. We have been to Huntsville and really like it.
My concern about making friends was really more about Florence or Guntersville.

We really like the Florence area too and would love to live on the water and in a small town.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 9,096 times
One thought if you can make it work - buy in Madison while you have one in high school. With the money you’ll save on public school vs private school, save up and start looking for a place on the water on Smith Lake or Guntersville. Smith Lake may make more sense with kids at U of A.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Thank you both. We have been to Huntsville and really like it.
My concern about making friends was really more about Florence or Guntersville.

We really like the Florence area too and would love to live on the water and in a small town.
I'm not really familiar with either town, other than having been there a few times. Both towns are sort of off the beaten path (thanks to I-22 being built rather than through Huntsville, in the case of Florence), and I suspect both more closely fit the stereotype of Alabama. The Huntsville area is far from typical for the state, and that's a good thing. Guntersville is a nice looking little town, but since their population has been pretty stagnant for many years, I wouldn't be surprised if newcomers might be a little circumspect. There's a golf course community on the north side call Gunter's Landing with a really nice golf course and some fantastic houses - that might be a good place for transplants, and many of the residents work in Huntsville/Madison County.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F382 View Post
One thought if you can make it work - buy in Madison while you have one in high school. With the money you’ll save on public school vs private school, save up and start looking for a place on the water on Smith Lake or Guntersville. Smith Lake may make more sense with kids at U of A.
Not to mention the savings on out of state tuition at Alabama (which is considerable), unless they're on scholarship or in some way otherwise exempt from out of state charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area