Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2021, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 9,803 times

Advertisements

My family are wanting to make a move to Alabama. We found a home we liked in Decatur and were hoping to get some opinions on Decatur as a whole and particularly the part we were looking at.

We have three boys under 11 years old and my wife home schools. I work from home so a commute is not an issue. We are mostly home bodies so the only things we need are a grocery store, post office, etc.

The house is located at the Burning Tree golf course. We understand that this is an older golf course with older homes that normally sell for 250-350 thousand. However the home we are looking at was built in 2020 and the asking price is over $750,000.

We were concerned about the condition of the golf course and the surrounding homes and how they would affect the value of the house.

I have included a link to the house below for reference. Any advice or input you could give would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...il/M8003835908
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 04:52 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Sounds good to me. Looks like a great house and it's a nice area. I've played the golf course many times, and the last time I played it was in fine shape. It's been a few years though.

Looks like a great house. It's also a short trip into Madison and Huntsville if you find the need, but Decatur has a lot of things on its own. Decatur has its own metro, but in reality, most think of this area as Huntsville/Decatur, and that includes the airlines.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 9,803 times
Thanks RocketDawg, I appreciate the input. The golf course gets great ratings online so I assume it is well taken care of.

Just wondered how the other homes in the neighborhood looked like

Old 12-05-2021, 06:51 AM

292 posts, read 234,721 times
Google Maps street view might help you if that street is in their database. Also poking around with Zillow might give you some prices, though they are sometimes outdated if they haven't been on the market in awhile.

Old 12-05-2021, 12:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
OP,

Nice house. I've found Redfin provide a better neighborhood values when I try to find comparables.

In this case, Redfin focuses on the Burningtree neighborhood and identified 11 homes that have sold previously. Best of all, it calculates the average for the homes below.

Average for Burningtree:
Price $639K
bedrooms: 5
bath: 4
square ft: 5003
$/sq ft: $160
DOM: 54

Go luck on your house hunting.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:19 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
OP,

Nice house. I've found Redfin provide a better neighborhood values when I try to find comparables.

In this case, Redfin focuses on the Burningtree neighborhood and identified 11 homes that have sold previously. Best of all, it calculates the average for the homes below.

Average for Burningtree:
Price $639K
bedrooms: 5
bath: 4
square ft: 5003
$/sq ft: $160
DOM: 54

Go luck on your house hunting.
Zoegreg - in case you're not familiar with this area in general, those figures translate into a very upscale neighborhood.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,772 times
Where will you be working? If you want to live in Decatur and work in Huntsville, get ready to spend hours sitting in traffic - both ways!

Old 12-09-2021, 03:29 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
I have lived in Decatur from 1961 until 1974, and again from 1977 to today.
Burningtree Country Club is one of two country clubs in Decatur (Decatur Country Club being the other). It is the only one with an operating golf course and, from I understand, extends golfing privileges to the DCC members (DCC closed its course several years ago because of the costs).
The Burningtree area first was developed in the early 1970s, but has a broad range of current housing and land available for building.
You do have a great grocery store right there, as well as a locally owned one in Priceville. Priceville is a growing area, lots of commuter workers.
It is a few miles from the busiest part of Decatur because of the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge.
If you have school-aged children, you would be traveling across the refuge every day for school - there are no city schools in that area. There is talk of an elementary school being built out there, but it would be far, far in the future.
Priceville has well-ranked schools, not nearly as diverse as Decatur's schools.
What else would you like to know?

Old 12-09-2021, 11:04 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
If you value your children's education then Priceville HS is better than Decatur HS.

Commuting to Huntsville is also easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area