Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 08:14 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

It is about time the media started questioning this.

https://www.waff.com/2022/02/05/athe...-time-by-mail/

I have a couple of accounts and even when I've taken my check to the post office and physically handed it to the postmistress a WEEK before the due date, the next bills would come back with the previous billing on them as overdue. Remember that the mail sorting facility is IN B'ham, where the processing company is, so there is no mail delay to speak of.

After each event, I have called customer service to verify that my check had been received and I was not in arrears. Usual wait times for a call like this are around 20 minutes. One time, the representative stated that the "box" needed to be opened more regularly - I can only guess that the postal box in B'ham is not being serviced by the processing company used by Athens Utilities. Before the shift to offsite processing, there was never a problem. Time to dump that company and bring those jobs back home.

I've gone to paying in person until it gets sorted. IIRC, there are laws concerning allowing customers a certain number of days from receipt of an invoice to pay it. I know for certain that credit cards are required to have that window. I doubt the public service commission will accept continued problems. Remember that a part of credit scores are based upon prompt payments of bills such as utility bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 06:21 AM

294 posts, read 234,721 times
How many other different ways are there to pay your bill to keep from punishing yourself? I understand a lot of people want to use checks and USPS and have good reasons to do so... but you can pay through a bank bill pay service, pay online, autodraft on a credit card (yeah, of course a small fee for that) but lots of ways to insure your payment gets there on time without hassle. Yes, I know a check through the mail SHOULD be a perfectly valid way to pay, but with the delivery record of USPS lately (I know they are overworked and understaffed) that is probably the most likely to garner a late fee.

Personally, I have chosen to let them autobill on my credit card and pay the fee, just for my convenience. That way they are responsible for paying themselves on time, and the cashback from the credit card pretty much offsets the fee.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:09 AM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Did you ask to speak with anybody about the bill processing center's delays when you went in person to pay your bill? Were you able to voice your issue/experience? Do you think the person/people you talked to were receptive to your issues and comments?

I've moved the majority of my payments to electronic bank payments. My initial motivation was due to the cost savings of the check & stamp but grew quickly to the convenience of the service. I'll still send charitable donations by check or payment for infrequently used companies/services who bill me.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:09 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
How many other different ways are there to pay your bill to keep from punishing yourself? I understand a lot of people want to use checks and USPS and have good reasons to do so... but you can pay through a bank bill pay service, pay online, autodraft on a credit card (yeah, of course a small fee for that) but lots of ways to insure your payment gets there on time without hassle. Yes, I know a check through the mail SHOULD be a perfectly valid way to pay, but with the delivery record of USPS lately (I know they are overworked and understaffed) that is probably the most likely to garner a late fee.

Personally, I have chosen to let them autobill on my credit card and pay the fee, just for my convenience. That way they are responsible for paying themselves on time, and the cashback from the credit card pretty much offsets the fee.
Thanks for posting. Had no idea that when you provided a credit card, for the utility to acces, that you had to pay a fee. If at the utility planning meetings, no way would I have thought customers would pay extra to have their credit card accessed.

Back to the USPS, a delayed Christmas card sent in early January, from Champaign, IL (southern Illinois) took 12 days to arrive to Huntsville. It’s about a six hour drive.

Another was a young man asking on a Saturday, how much to ship to Huntsville overnight from Harvest, and was told with limited pickups on the weekend, it wouldn’t arrive until Tuesday but would cost over $50. I think an Uber would have been cheaper.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:11 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It is about time the media started questioning this.

https://www.waff.com/2022/02/05/athe...-time-by-mail/

I have a couple of accounts and even when I've taken my check to the post office and physically handed it to the postmistress a WEEK before the due date, the next bills would come back with the previous billing on them as overdue. Remember that the mail sorting facility is IN B'ham, where the processing company is, so there is no mail delay to speak of.

After each event, I have called customer service to verify that my check had been received and I was not in arrears. Usual wait times for a call like this are around 20 minutes. One time, the representative stated that the "box" needed to be opened more regularly - I can only guess that the postal box in B'ham is not being serviced by the processing company used by Athens Utilities. Before the shift to offsite processing, there was never a problem. Time to dump that company and bring those jobs back home.

I've gone to paying in person until it gets sorted. IIRC, there are laws concerning allowing customers a certain number of days from receipt of an invoice to pay it. I know for certain that credit cards are required to have that window. I doubt the public service commission will accept continued problems. Remember that a part of credit scores are based upon prompt payments of bills such as utility bills.
If I were you, just for the enjoyment of it and to hopefully see when they actually go pick up the mail, I would send the next few certified mail. It will cost a few bucks to do it but it would give you an idea of how long your payments are sitting at the post office and you could present that information to the utilities along with the media and see how that plays out.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:28 AM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
If I were you, just for the enjoyment of it and to hopefully see when they actually go pick up the mail, I would send the next few certified mail. It will cost a few bucks to do it but it would give you an idea of how long your payments are sitting at the post office and you could present that information to the utilities along with the media and see how that plays out.
Effectively you're hoping that Athens Utilities and the people that run it have the moral integrity to care that they are not servicing the customers correctly. Without moral integrity, shaming as a form of punishment or a means to correct a wrong will often be an exercise in futility in my opinion. Another subject for another thread and time... Hopefully corrections can and will be made.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:55 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
The employees at the utility company office are well aware of what is happening, but I suspect that in the interest of keeping their jobs, they put up and shut up. As I pointed out, this is NOT a post office problem. I know that it is a whipping boy these days, and there are issues, but as I pointed out, the processing centers are close enough together to eliminate this.

I refuse to have pull payments from a cash account (bank draft). I've been around long enough to know the dangers of that. If there wasn't a charge for credit card use, I would immediately sign up. Paying in person is not a particular hardship, much less "punishing myself." It does send a message when many people do it.

I know how this type of debacle starts, been on the other side. Larger companies are approached all the time by payroll companies, banks, and bulk processors with automation. They present compelling arguments of cost savings, and sometimes side benefits to gut jobs. When those companies start to have problems of their own, or are acquired by others, it hits the fan. Try explaining to an employee that the problem with their paycheck can't be resolved until next pay period.

The issue here ultimately comes back to top level decisions at Athens Utilities, period. Perhaps it already is sending someone to Bham to get the payments, just only doing that once or twice a week. Perhaps the processor has both staff members out sick. Not my problem. Utility companies are regulated, and I suspect this one is about to have that fact reinforced, either that or some ambulance chaser is going to mount a class action suit.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:12 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Did you ask to speak with anybody about the bill processing center's delays when you went in person to pay your bill? Were you able to voice your issue/experience? Do you think the person/people you talked to were receptive to your issues and comments?

I've moved the majority of my payments to electronic bank payments. My initial motivation was due to the cost savings of the check & stamp but grew quickly to the convenience of the service. I'll still send charitable donations by check or payment for infrequently used companies/services who bill me.
That works, but the more people/organizations that have access to your bank account, the higher the probability of fraud.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:49 PM

294 posts, read 234,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
That works, but the more people/organizations that have access to your bank account, the higher the probability of fraud.
Well, you don't have to give them access to your bank account. For example, with RFCU Billpay, the bank sends them a check, which is no different than you sending them one.

from johnssonkk Had no idea that when you provided a credit card, for the utility to acces, that you had to pay a fee. If at the utility planning meetings, no way would I have thought customers would pay extra to have their credit card accessed.

Many places do this, such as Madison County for car tags by mail using a credit card. The reason is that they use a 3rd party service to do the CCs, and they pay them for the service, and they pass that directly on to the customer. It's a choice, but I prefer to let them charge my CC and not let them draft from my bank account, as I agree with RocketDawg.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:18 PM

609 posts, read 528,901 times
A different utility, but my most recent water bill from Madison Utilities has me confused. It was delivered in my mail on 1/31/22 and it reads-

Billing Date 1/11/22

Total Due $23.11

Date Due 2/06/22

So far so good right?

But then it says-

Amount Due if Paid After 1/29/22 $25.42

So apparently I owe a late fee if I don’t pay it 8 days before the due date and 2 days before I even received it?

I paid the $23.11 the day I received the bill but I am interested to see if they charge me a late fee next month. Even though it is only $2.31 I’ll give them a call if they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area