Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 12:08 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,485,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
Not long ago we had six German Restaurants in town, but now we are down to only two.

IMHO, Hildegard's on Whitesburg is the better of the two.

Neon Lilly is a Russian restaurant that also offers some German dishes.

With the arrival of Fall, it is a nice time to make a pilgrimage over to Helen, GA and eat at the Bodensee Restaurant.
Beautiful little town. Reminds me a lot of Solvang, but of course Solvang is Danish and Helen is German. But for us hicks in Alabama, the two countries are the same ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 12:20 PM

703 posts, read 935,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Beautiful little town. Reminds me a lot of Solvang, but of course Solvang is Danish and Helen is German. But for us hicks in Alabama, the two countries are the same ....
I found that Leavenworth, WA had both Solvang, CA and Helen, GA beat, but I like Helen the best because I grew up going there...

Old 09-23-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
I found that Leavenworth, WA had both Solvang, CA and Helen, GA beat, but I like Helen the best because I grew up going there...
Horse and buggy? Covered wagon?

Old 09-23-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Horse and buggy? Covered wagon?
Not quite, but I do remember playing Space Invaders, Galaxian, and Asteroids in an Arcade beneath the Castle Inn.

I was a bit disappointed when I moved to Germany and discovered Funnel Cake and Fudge were not German, LOL.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:15 PM

130 posts, read 105,820 times
Quote:

I doubt that there is place in Georgia like Solvang but I will check it out. I stopped by Solvang in July driving from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara and it is an absolutely beautiful town-it is becoming more upscale in some ways but I place it up there as one of the most beautiful small towns in California along with Napa, Healdsburg, Yountsville and Santa Barbara.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
I doubt that there is place in Georgia like Solvang but I will check it out. I stopped by Solvang in July driving from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara and it is an absolutely beautiful town-it is becoming more upscale in some ways but I place it up there as one of the most beautiful small towns in California along with Napa, Healdsburg, Yountsville and Santa Barbara.
Solvang is absolutely a beautiful town. Helen is somewhat similar but much smaller. Well worth the trip. And drop by Dahlonega while you're there. Take the route that goes through Mentone, still in Alabama. It's small but sort of a cool, eclectic place. Five Points in Huntsville has some of those qualities as well.

Old 09-24-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
I agree that Solvang is nice, but it can't compare to Helen in the Autumn when the leaves change colors or in Winter when there is a snow storm.

In California, I found small towns such as Crescent City and Mt Shasta in NORCAL more beautiful than those in SOCAL. Julian was the most scenic that I experienced South of Lake Tahoe.

I appreciated my time living there, but I was truly happy when I put California in my rear view mirror as we moved back East.

Quote:
Solvang is absolutely a beautiful town. Helen is somewhat similar but much smaller. Well worth the trip. And drop by Dahlonega while you're there. Take the route that goes through Mentone, still in Alabama. It's small but sort of a cool, eclectic place. Five Points in Huntsville has some of those qualities as well.
I concur about taking the scenic route through Mentone and Dahlonega, although I tend to alternate by going through Blue Ridge and Ellijay on the return trip. I also include overnight pitstops in Helen when vacationing in Cherokee and Asheville, NC.

I've lived and traveled around the World, and I have found the Beauty of the Great Smoky and Blue Ridge Mountains to be unparalleled.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:30 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Been living in HSV for 3 years. I've never tried any of this German restaurants here. Not yet. I might try Old Heidelberg some time, at least for its dessert.
I don't think you have missed out on much. I live in Germany and almost never eat what is considered German food. However, a good German bakery is worth the effort to visit. The fresh baked rye bread or a slice of kuchen (a variety of cobbler or pie) always makes a German bakery trip a treat.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:19 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times
I love Ol' Heidelberg. It may not be totally authentic German (although German natives own the place), but I don't know the difference.
Now that there's a nip in the air, it's time to go get my schnitzel!!

Old 10-11-2022, 12:07 PM

Don't know if it's been picked up again after Covid, but on Thursday nights (I think once a month, but might have been weekly) there was a large activity at the Space and Rocket Center in the Davidson Center (under the Saturn V), and German food was served, I think catered by Hidelgaard's. It was very good and very reasonably priced. Last time I went they had Black Forest Cake for dessert, and one other. Occasionally they'd even have an oompah band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area