Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 02:15 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,592,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Now, the Greyhound bus is an express which runs without stopping between Birmingham and Nashville. I guess that during Covid, Greyhound found that there weren't enough passengers boarding in Huntsville to justify the delay caused by getting off of I-65 and it was more practical to run an express route - However, that route takes 3 hours and fifty minutes, which makes me think the bus is not traveling that fast - I have seen a sign on I-65, just north of Brentwood, TN, saying that Birmingham is 164 miles away. Some cars driving at a speed of 75 could drive that in little over 2 hours.
Greyhound: Bus Station, 709 Rep. John Lewis Way S, Nashville, TN 37203
Greyhound: Bus Station, 1801 Morris Ave, Birmingham, AL 35203
Distance: 191 miles via I-65

For comparison only:
By car: 2h 55m (average speed 65mph)
By bus: 3h 45m (average speed 51mph)

Note, for tomorrow these are the options:
#1: $87 - Nashville > Birmingham (nonstop) | 10:05pm to 1:50am (3h 45m)
#2: $70 - Nashville > Manchester > Chattanooga > Atlanta > Birmingham | 10:25pm to 7:10am (8h 45m)
#3: $78 - Nashville > Chattanooga > Marietta > Atlanta > Birmingham | 9:35am to 8:30pm (10h 55m)

BTW, if Huntsville had been bigger back in 1950 then I-65 might have been built a lot closer to it.

Population in 1950
Athens: 11,137
Decatur: 19,974
Huntsville: 16,437

Last edited by MisterEd51; 09-26-2022 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 02:44 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,215,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
It is interesting that Greyhound has discontinued their bus service to Huntsville. Pre-Covid, they had a bus going from Birmingham to Nashville which stopped at the Huntsville - Madison COiunty Visitors Center on Church Street (just north of the historic Depot) and passengers could then connect to the Orbit bus system to reach local destinations.

Now, the Greyhound bus is an express which runs without stopping between Birmingham and Nashville. I guess that during Covid, Greyhound found that there weren't enough passengers boarding in Huntsville to justify the delay caused by getting off of I-65 and it was more practical to run an express route - However, that route takes 3 hours and fifty minutes, which makes me think the bus is not traveling that fast - I have seen a sign on I-65, just north of Brentwood, TN, saying that Birmingham is 164 miles away. Some cars driving at a speed of 75 could drive that in little over 2 hours.
Someone from WHNT must read the forum. Greyhound says the cancellation is only temporary.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/gre...to-huntsville/

Old 09-28-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Someone from WHNT must read the forum. Greyhound says the cancellation is only temporary.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/gre...to-huntsville/
They must have because I searched and found no mention anywhere that Greyhound had even left Huntsville. Still there is no definitive date to return. I won't believe it until actually happens.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:33 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
They must have because I searched and found no mention anywhere that Greyhound had even left Huntsville. Still there is no definitive date to return. I won't believe it until actually happens.
Probably after the new transit station is complete

Old 10-04-2022, 06:48 AM

889 posts, read 2,398,445 times
I just happen to be in New Orleans right now and my family of 5 took the Amtrak Crescent from Birmingham to get here. It was our first time ever taking Amtrak. It was a very pleasant experience, much roomier and comfortable than typical coach seating on a plane. It was only $200 for all 5 of us round trip! We did get a veterans rate. That being said, the train appeared to be about 2/3 empty. With such light demand I'd be shocked if Amtrak were to extend service to Huntsville anytime soon.

Old 10-04-2022, 07:52 AM

704 posts, read 936,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I just happen to be in New Orleans right now and my family of 5 took the Amtrak Crescent from Birmingham to get here. It was our first time ever taking Amtrak. It was a very pleasant experience, much roomier and comfortable than typical coach seating on a plane. It was only $200 for all 5 of us round trip! We did get a veterans rate. That being said, the train appeared to be about 2/3 empty. With such light demand I'd be shocked if Amtrak were to extend service to Huntsville anytime soon.
That is not a bad price at all! I wonder how much more it would have been if you used the Amtrak bus from Huntsville to connect in Birmingham.

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/hnv

Old 10-04-2022, 07:57 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I just happen to be in New Orleans right now and my family of 5 took the Amtrak Crescent from Birmingham to get here. It was our first time ever taking Amtrak. It was a very pleasant experience, much roomier and comfortable than typical coach seating on a plane. It was only $200 for all 5 of us round trip! We did get a veterans rate. That being said, the train appeared to be about 2/3 empty.
i've thought about taking this train before, but have been hesitant because of the duration. how long did the trip end up taking? were there periods of time where the train was stopped to make way for other trains on the line?

Old 10-07-2022, 09:12 AM

889 posts, read 2,398,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i've thought about taking this train before, but have been hesitant because of the duration. how long did the trip end up taking? were there periods of time where the train was stopped to make way for other trains on the line?
Just got home last night. It was about 6.5 hours from NOLA to BHAM. You could probably drive it in 5. But it sure is nice to kick your feet up and just enjoy the ride. There are some stops along the way (Tuscaloosa, Meridian, Hattiesburg, Laurel, Slidell) but they were all rather brief. Getting on and off is no hassle either. No TSA or baggage checks to deal with and you can bring your own snacks and refreshments if you like. I should mention you can park for free at the Birmingham station too. We really enjoyed the experience and would certainly do it again. I just wish there were more direct routes to other places.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:22 AM

Amtrak only makes sense if you have a direct route between your locations. The problem is those are very limited. For example, a friend wanted to take a train from Jackson, Mississippi to Birmingham, Alabama. Here are the options for a trip starting on October 12.

Route #1 (67h 1m)
Coach from $736
Rooms from $738
Departs 5:44pm Friday October 12
Arrives 12:45pm Monday October 17

Route #2 (67h 1m)
Coach from $443
Rooms from $652
Departs 5:44pm Friday October 12
Arrives 12:45pm Monday October 17

Old 10-08-2022, 12:01 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Those are some pretty limited options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area