Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 08:23 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,191,607 times

Advertisements

A simple remedy : carry a can of "Skunk concentrate." If blocked, by toxic idealogues, go "skunk" on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 10:12 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
Some may disagree, but in my opinion, these types of protests actually have the opposite effect of what the protesters are seeking. Causing public disturbances and potentially endangering lives does not bring empathy to your cause. I can see where it would actually reinforce the racism that exists and provides fuel for the fire. I swear I hear more racial talk now than I did 10 or 15 years ago.

Old 10-24-2023, 06:00 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Some TV executives might disagree, but loud activists are the crack cocaine of tv reporters. Think about it.

I just watched one activist stomp on MLK's techniques, by equating stopping traffic on a bridge with requesting a glass of water at a restaurant. SHAME on you!!!

... and shame on the station for giving a voice to such nonsense spew as "news." It is not news, the station execs KNOW it is not news, but it has emotion, it fills a slot, and it gives an "equal access" legal out, no matter how bizarre or illegal the claims of the activist.

Perhaps I should stop traffic in front of a TV station to claim that the world is cat shapedand we are at the base of the tail? If I could get a dozen loud actors to back me up, I could be on TV!!! My goodness! Who knew the path to world domination was so easy?

Old 10-25-2023, 04:13 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Unfortunately the climate protestors aka gluers have caused fatalities in Germany due to blocking access for emergency services. Consequences? For the patient.
I was living in Chemnitz, Germany for several years up until the end of September. The "Last Generation" protestors had a short-lived pavement glue attempt on a main street in early September. The BePo "Bereitschaftspolizei" (readiness or riot police) arrived within minutes with vats of olive or sunflower oil and saturated the hands of the protestors (spilling generous amounts on their clothes too) and had them removed and in the paddy wagon in no time.

Here is an interesting article on what happened with the same group in Dresden.
https://www.noemamag.com/the-last-ge...ate-rebellion/

I agree that the glue-down protests gain no sympathy or favorable coverage to the goals of the protestors. All they do is mess up the day for typical workers or local residents trying to get from A to B, including those who are riding in public transportation.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:40 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Some TV executives might disagree, but loud activists are the crack cocaine of tv reporters. Think about it.

I just watched one activist stomp on MLK's techniques, by equating stopping traffic on a bridge with requesting a glass of water at a restaurant. SHAME on you!!!

... and shame on the station for giving a voice to such nonsense spew as "news." It is not news, the station execs KNOW it is not news, but it has emotion, it fills a slot, and it gives an "equal access" legal out, no matter how bizarre or illegal the claims of the activist.

Perhaps I should stop traffic in front of a TV station to claim that the world is cat shapedand we are at the base of the tail? If I could get a dozen loud actors to back me up, I could be on TV!!! My goodness! Who knew the path to world domination was so easy?
UPS would pay the leader of the local version of MLK $20k per year to NOT protest and assurances that mayhem would be directed elsewhere. Surely UPS thought that was worthy expense. It’s the draw of TV cameras.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:55 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Interesting video clip. Internet has everything. This is about legal discussion about running over carjackers, not protesters. Similar topic but different.

https://youtu.be/TuJuhTEEbiI?si=r1jXpa9PSA5o-Wbi

Old 10-25-2023, 03:09 PM

108 posts, read 94,820 times
WAAY just ran a story at 4pm that said the protesters are planning another bridge protest tomorrow. Who knows if true, but if you live in Decatur and cross the Hudson Memorial Bridge to go home each night, you might want to plan to get on 65 and get off at the Priceville exit tomorrow instead.

Old 10-26-2023, 01:28 PM

204 posts, read 134,663 times
The only story I've read about a major road being blocked by protesters happened in Alabama.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...own-i-459.html

Old 10-29-2023, 04:34 PM

15 posts, read 7,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Some may disagree, but in my opinion, these types of protests actually have the opposite effect of what the protesters are seeking. Causing public disturbances and potentially endangering lives does not bring empathy to your cause. I can see where it would actually reinforce the racism that exists and provides fuel for the fire. I swear I hear more racial talk now than I did 10 or 15 years ago.
Agree. These types of protests where streets are blocked, buildings are damaged, property defaced, etc do nothing but turn people against the cause. I have no problem with people standing on a sidewalk, holding signs, and I'll read a few of them as I pass.

I saw they are asking businesses to spend $100 on posters related to the protests and saying they will only spend their money at businesses displaying the posters. My guess is the economic impact is around $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
The only story I've read about a major road being blocked by protesters happened in Alabama.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...own-i-459.html
Protestors in Memphis blocked the I-40 bridge a few years ago. I-40 runs East and West across the country. People were jumping on cars and sitting on top of semi trucks. It ended when the police director held hands with protestors and walked down the bridge with them. Personally, I prefer law enforcement action in these cases, instead of hand holding.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:37 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I notice that protests are taking an opposite tack now, and going for positive tactics. Now that such is the case, I'll bring up an issue that was made known to me.

Police departments generally don't get involved in civil matters such as a car repossession. Instead, a person complaining is instructed to make the complaint so that a court can issue a warrant to be acted upon. In the case of evictions, something similar occurs before a sheriff's deputy will show up to enforce an eviction. There appears to be a serious breach of protocol before the event that in itself deserves thorough investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area