Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 02:08 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times

Advertisements

The "protest" technique of gaining attention by purposely blocking public roads has been used in the U.K. for a while now, and only recently has it been recognized there as the danger to public health and safety that it is. They are finally putting teeth into their laws and enforcement to stem roads being blocked because of numerous "protests."

I don't know who it was locally thought it would be a good idea to block a major road to get media attention, but I do know that their understanding of how the legal system works and their level of caring for other people is negligible.

Rather than seeing them and their "protest" in a positive light, my response is a strong polar one; I see them as selfish and ego-centric, in thinking that they and their complaints have more worth than all of the innocents that they hold up.

If you felt a hospital was poorly run, and your child died there because of a negligent doctor, would you then block the entire access to the emergency room there? That is a parallel to what these outside agitators are claiming as "peaceful protest." It is NOT a peaceful protest by any stretch. It is a childish passive-aggressive tantrum designed to disrupt the lives of innocents.

The right to peaceful protest of the government is a fundamental right that was put in place by men who were enlightened enough to understand the importance of it. Anyone of any age has seen picket lines where those who cross are allowed to do so, even if they have to suffer the verbal wrath of the protestors. Some of us have seen or been in giant marches, advertised ahead of time along with the route date and time. Those too are peaceful protests.

Intentionally blocking traffic without warning is illegal. It is an intentional act of disruption without regard to consequences. Many of us have been in back-ups on 565 because some driver made a poor decision and suffered immediate consequences. Their actions, and the necessary actions of police, ambulances, and fire departments in remediation are something that was initially unintended, and a certain amount of empathy is given. That does not hold true with intentional tantrums.

Ambulances stuck because of a personal blockade can lead to death. Fire engines unable to pass to a fire will inevitably lead to more property damage and possible loss of life.

I strongly urge ALL police and those in the judicial system to arrest "protestors" engaged in such illegal means of gaining attention, and hold them in detention for as long as needed to keep them from being a danger to the public.

There are major metropolitan areas of the country that live under siege by those who flaunt the law, those who have no more desire in life than to be obstructive and break common courtesy and any peace in their area.

I strongly urge the media, when presented with events such as this blockade, to immediately cut back on coverage of those "protestors," and refuse to interview anyone at the illegal event other than those who have suffered damage because of the actions of the instigators.

I strongly urge anyone who has suffered a loss because of such an illegal event to file a complaint with the police, and to try to get civil recompense from those responsible.

Again, true peaceful protest is a right to be cherished, not abused. Show outside agitators that ONLY that type of protest is wanted or accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 06:00 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Unfortunately the climate protestors aka gluers have caused fatalities in Germany due to blocking access for emergency services. Consequences? For the patient.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:35 AM

110 posts, read 95,262 times
Some dude on twitter posted he hopes they do it again (block traffic on the bridge). I don't see how this helps the investigation move forward. I don't see how holding folks that had nothing to do with this 'hostage' helps.

Reminder that it took ALEA 9 months to finish the Ray King Hazel Green shooting and there are other police shootings also in the queue for investigation. It's gonna be a long ride. Decatur may end up cancelling their 3rd Friday until the ALEA investigation is done.

ETA:
I call BS on the NAACP guy that says his car broke down. Sure, with 50+ people with Steve Perkins signs running back towards the 31 split. Funny how his car was instantly worked when the 10 cop cars showed up.

Corey Thomas

@cbthomas71

·
Oct 20

I call bull of the cop not arrested yet. Focus on the real issue. I hope his car break down again

Last edited by tn_native; 10-22-2023 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: adding twitter notes

Old 10-22-2023, 04:20 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
Some dude on twitter posted he hopes they do it again (block traffic on the bridge). I don't see how this helps the investigation move forward. I don't see how holding folks that had nothing to do with this 'hostage' helps.

Reminder that it took ALEA 9 months to finish the Ray King Hazel Green shooting and there are other police shootings also in the queue for investigation. It's gonna be a long ride. Decatur may end up cancelling their 3rd Friday until the ALEA investigation is done.

ETA:
I call BS on the NAACP guy that says his car broke down. Sure, with 50+ people with Steve Perkins signs running back towards the 31 split. Funny how his car was instantly worked when the 10 cop cars showed up.

Corey Thomas

@cbthomas71

·
Oct 20

I call bull of the cop not arrested yet. Focus on the real issue. I hope his car break down again
Didn’t hear it was a “broken down” vehicle for the bridge for this location, over the next week, would make sense to hire a tow truck on standby to simply park at the marina for a quick response. Similar to ambulances pre staged at concerts or athletic events.

What some don’t realize is these are tests to measure the reaction and “effectiveness “. When Huntsville met the lone “George Floyd” protest with appropriate reaction, it was over. All the out of town mayhem realized it was pointless bringing mayhem to Huntsville. It was hilarious the “protestors” had injury photos but they were dated two weeks prior to the protest. Ooops. Didn’t proof the social media.

Old 10-22-2023, 06:31 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The "protest" technique of gaining attention by purposely blocking public roads has been used in the U.K. for a while now, and only recently has it been recognized there as the danger to public health and safety that it is. They are finally putting teeth into their laws and enforcement to stem roads being blocked because of numerous "protests."

I don't know who it was locally thought it would be a good idea to block a major road to get media attention, but I do know that their understanding of how the legal system works and their level of caring for other people is negligible.

Rather than seeing them and their "protest" in a positive light, my response is a strong polar one; I see them as selfish and ego-centric, in thinking that they and their complaints have more worth than all of the innocents that they hold up.

If you felt a hospital was poorly run, and your child died there because of a negligent doctor, would you then block the entire access to the emergency room there? That is a parallel to what these outside agitators are claiming as "peaceful protest." It is NOT a peaceful protest by any stretch. It is a childish passive-aggressive tantrum designed to disrupt the lives of innocents.

The right to peaceful protest of the government is a fundamental right that was put in place by men who were enlightened enough to understand the importance of it. Anyone of any age has seen picket lines where those who cross are allowed to do so, even if they have to suffer the verbal wrath of the protestors. Some of us have seen or been in giant marches, advertised ahead of time along with the route date and time. Those too are peaceful protests.

Intentionally blocking traffic without warning is illegal. It is an intentional act of disruption without regard to consequences. Many of us have been in back-ups on 565 because some driver made a poor decision and suffered immediate consequences. Their actions, and the necessary actions of police, ambulances, and fire departments in remediation are something that was initially unintended, and a certain amount of empathy is given. That does not hold true with intentional tantrums.

Ambulances stuck because of a personal blockade can lead to death. Fire engines unable to pass to a fire will inevitably lead to more property damage and possible loss of life.

I strongly urge ALL police and those in the judicial system to arrest "protestors" engaged in such illegal means of gaining attention, and hold them in detention for as long as needed to keep them from being a danger to the public.

There are major metropolitan areas of the country that live under siege by those who flaunt the law, those who have no more desire in life than to be obstructive and break common courtesy and any peace in their area.

I strongly urge the media, when presented with events such as this blockade, to immediately cut back on coverage of those "protestors," and refuse to interview anyone at the illegal event other than those who have suffered damage because of the actions of the instigators.

I strongly urge anyone who has suffered a loss because of such an illegal event to file a complaint with the police, and to try to get civil recompense from those responsible.

Again, true peaceful protest is a right to be cherished, not abused. Show outside agitators that ONLY that type of protest is wanted or accepted.
I couldn't possibly agree more with your post. I also wonder - and I'll use the example of destructive "climate protesters" - how many of those protesters are actually educated enough and smart enough to have any idea of what causes climate change, or climate warming. Probably very few if any.

Old 10-23-2023, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I couldn't possibly agree more with your post. I also wonder - and I'll use the example of destructive "climate protesters" - how many of those protesters are actually educated enough and smart enough to have any idea of what causes climate change, or climate warming. Probably very few if any.
Those are paid actors. Please understand the disrupters and mayhem are not from the genuine supporters, even when it’s a far stretch of reality.

Old 10-23-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Didn’t hear it was a “broken down” vehicle for the bridge for this location, over the next week, would make sense to hire a tow truck on standby to simply park at the marina for a quick response. Similar to ambulances pre staged at concerts or athletic events.

What some don’t realize is these are tests to measure the reaction and “effectiveness “. When Huntsville met the lone “George Floyd” protest with appropriate reaction, it was over. All the out of town mayhem realized it was pointless bringing mayhem to Huntsville. It was hilarious the “protestors” had injury photos but they were dated two weeks prior to the protest. Ooops. Didn’t proof the social media.

The broken down vehicle was reported by another county's (not Morgan) NAACP leader on a local TV station.

Old 10-23-2023, 03:34 PM

Just got more interesting. Decatur Police to charge some with disorderly conduct. https://www.waaytv.com/news/decatur-...16fd74822.html

Old 10-23-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
Just got more interesting. Decatur Police to charge some with disorderly conduct. https://www.waaytv.com/news/decatur-...16fd74822.html
Not sure about the “more interesting“ part but nice to see some effort to raise accountability for blocking traffic on a state highway.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:05 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Going to go put on a limb here. Channel 31 led with a story of a "protestor" picking up a megaphone getting in trouble in this. Dunno who their target audience is, but I am now not one of them. IMO, disgusting and a violation of the FCC license to serve the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area