Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:26 AM

34 posts, read 125,342 times

Advertisements

Hi I am Ezio (from Italy) and I am in HSV sice July 2008.
Not many time but enough in order to set up the main important stuff (like Social Security number, buy a car, make an insurance, TV, internet and phone).

Really I am staying very well in HSV the only thing that I miss from Italy are:

see Italian football soccer game (and I will be able to see when I buy a new knology bundle - fox soccer channel 106)

eat italian food (not in a restaurant, because I think that when a person live in a foreign country has to eat mainly the local food, also because usually when Itry italian food abroad mostly the food is completely different form italian food and the taste is not the true taste. Often because the restaurant owners are not italian!!!)

So the only thing that I would like is know where can I buy italian food like oil, biscuits, milk , mozzarella and so on, in order to cook them in my home.

Someone said to me that Fresh market orEeuropean market sell it.

I am going to try.

if someone know some news please let me know.

By Ezio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
What about this place:

European Market‎
3025 Memorial Pkwy SW, Huntsville, AL - (256) 882-7710‎

When are we invited over for a genuine Italian meal?

Last edited by Charles; 08-17-2008 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-17-2008, 10:22 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What about this place:

European Market‎
European Market and Fresh Market would be good places to start. European Market has more Eastern European, German and Russian foods though (the owner is Russian I believe).

Old 08-17-2008, 11:01 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,587,700 times
I was at the European Market yesterday and didn't see any Italian products to speak of-very little Dutch as well. Mostly German and Russian products were stocked.

For Italian, I recommend buying as much fresh produce as you can from the local farm stands. There is a great one on 72W -- your fresh tomatoes and basil etc. Also, there is a store called Penzey's that will let you order your spices necessary for quality cooking.

www.penzeys.com

There is a store in Birmingham as well. I'm not sure what meats you need for your cooking or the oils, but you can get Italian products here in the USA at the local grocery stores--Publix carries them. Meats can be found at COSTCO for a very good price or at Southern Family Markets or Star --

Do you make your own pasta? Or do you buy packaged pasta? I'd hunt that down at the stores and if you want to make your own pasta--you can buy pasta makers if you don't have one here at Williams Sonoma in the mall off of S. Memorial Pkwy.

You may be able to find quality pasta there as well.

There is a local place here, TerraNovas that does Italian food (probably americanized to your tastes) but they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Whole Foods in Birmingham might also have products you'd like for making your favorite dishes.

Good Luck. I order most of my Indonesian and Dutch cooking stuff online from HollandsBest. Perhaps you will find a similar website for your needs as well.

Thank God for the Internet!!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,627 times
Default italian market

Hi there - Nashville is only about a 2 hr drive for you - i read good stuff about this on the internet - we are going up there next week and plan on stopping in

Cafe Coco's Italian Market and Kitchen[/URL]
[URL="http://www.cafecoco.net"]www.cafecoco.net[/URL]
411 51st Ave. North
Nashville, TN 37209
(615) 783-0114

5 reviews and more »[/URL]
Open Mon-Wed 10am-8pm; Thu 10am-8:30pm; Fri-Sat 10am-10pm

Feb 4, 2007 ... Indoors you will find to your left a mini-grocery store with items such ... As an Italian myself, this place is truly a gem for Nashville. ...
nashvillefoodies.blogspot.com/2007/02/italian-market.html - 93k

Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 AM

168 posts, read 559,944 times
They sell that Chef Boyardee stuff in most grocery stores in the County. They pretty much make it all, spaghetti-o's and ravioli (meat and without). They also have that Italian bread in the freezer section.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I saw some sort of international market on the north side of Madison Pike just east of Slaughter. May have been more Asian.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:14 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamoore View Post
They sell that Chef Boyardee stuff in most grocery stores in the County. They pretty much make it all, spaghetti-o's and ravioli (meat and without). They also have that Italian bread in the freezer section.
OK, you almost made me spit my coffee out. Shame on you, Clamoore.

Welcome, Ezio! It will be difficult to find much of what you wish for. I've only been in to Star Market twice/three times so far, so I can't know for sure, but they might have a few things the larger grocers don't.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:36 AM

82 posts, read 140,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What about this place:

European Market‎

When are we invited over for a genuine Italian meal?
This address will take you to a new Wal-Mart Super Center.
European Market is now located at: 2745 Bob Wallace Ave SW Suite B.
Don't remember ever seeing Italian products there.

Fresh Market (corner of Airport Rd & Whitesburg) might have some Italian items.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:57 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,925 times
I kinda like the Olive Garden. Good food, but not cheap...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area