Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:03 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times

Advertisements

Actually, my DH is insisting I learn to shoot a gun. And my daughter. I never thought I'd give in to that insistance, but I think I might.

I like the idea of a Neighborhood Watch, but I am concerned bc the board member (one of only two representing our neighborhood before it is owned by us completely) who claims he contacted the MPD, well, he just wants us "little homeowners" (read-- for us SAHMs-- "there there little girl") to leave the interfacing between the BOARD and the MPD. Well that would be fine if he actually had called first and had followed up! I contacted the MPD and then I'm pretty sure he did after I emailed and asked about doing it.

It's just uber annoying -- if I'd had this kind of help in my old subdivision when I was HOA president, if someone had taken initiaitive, I'd have pounced all over it and give the person the responsibility to make it happen. Leadership is about building teams and alliances, not running dictatorships.

I'm giving him two weeks, and then I am following up. We don't need board approval to have a neighborhood watch.

But that's a story for another day...

Signed Annie Oakley Wannabe

Last edited by ionlife; 09-14-2008 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 06:08 AM

Our alarm system is wireless--very nice to have in this day and age. Love the idea of the cameras pointing to the street to capture the vehicle/getaway vehicles.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:00 PM

286 posts, read 1,086,146 times
Wireless sounds like a good idea as well as the cameras pointing to the street. I know someone in the 35805 zip who should get these types cameras because his home has been burglarized 3 times.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:44 AM

I'm still waiting to hear from my board lord about the neighborhood watch program I initially called about last week. I'm giving my board lord one more week before recontacting the police officer about it.

or perhaps I should call him Lord of the Board (LOTB) LOL

Last edited by Keeper; 09-16-2008 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 02:52 PM

286 posts, read 1,086,146 times
Awww, I'm sure the LOTB is trying his best. How many residents/homes do you have under the HOA there?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 AM

LOTB is one of two members of a builder controlled board. The subdivision is not fully built out. I haven't counted all the homes, but I am sure it has less than the Townhouse subdivision I was President of in NoVa.

LOTB rarely responds to emails. And one week after stating that I should "just let the board handle these community issues" re: a neighborhood watch, I am still waiting for information about that watch to be sent to the community.

But yeah, LOTB is probably trying to do his best. However, pushing people away from helping during a major transition which will eat up most of the two board members' time seems a bit, well, like micromanaging where micromanaging isn't necessary.

Me, I'll give my hard working LOTB another week to post when the meeting for the neighborhood watch will happen (I hope before fall break!) and then I'm stepping in.

This is about personal safety. As a homeowner, I don't have to have the LOTBs permission to put a NW here. But I wanted to work WITH the board, not AGAINST it.

Therein lies the difference. And now I am up at 4:3AM because my DH is out of town, there is a burglarly ring, and I, despite having a wireless alarm system, am a little "on guard."

Perhaps the LOTBs best is not good enough.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:59 AM

168 posts, read 559,861 times
dramamama, I can appreciate your concern. No one likes to feel powerless, especially when it comes to protecting home and family. I would like to assure you that as long as you are home, you probably stand little chance of having your home invaded. These criminals are looking for houses that are unattended. I have been burgled (?) in the past month. I live in one of the "bad" neighborhoods in Huntsville and we have a neighborhood watch. Someone cut through a steel cable and stole my canoe! How low-down can you get that you stoop to steal a man's canoe? Anyway, they waited until my wife was home alone and took it one night about 10:45 p.m. It made me angry but I realized that sometimes you can't do enough to prevent someone from taking something that they want bad enough.

I used to live in a Historic District and we were subject to many restrictions. I imagine that you are living under some strict restrictions. That is just part of living in some good neighborhoods. It is very frustrating to be told you can't help, but that is just part of it. Did you know about governances when you bought the property? I sympathize with you. I would council you to be reserved in passing judgement on the LOTB. "Heavy is the head that wears the crown". I have been the President of several residential/civic organizations and I can tell you that it is really a point of stress sometimes when you are doing the job for free. Point taken that you are only wanting to help, however.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 AM

The thing is we ARE allowed to help. This is a board that is supposed to represent the needs of the community. And they were offered help in an area that they did not have time to help in. They are busy with the transition and are unable to follow up. As a former HOA Board President, I can tell you, I would NOT turn down a genuine offer to help my community. This was about a power trip, nothing more. This board's job is to make sure the the covenants and restrictions applying to our homes are maintained and not violated. It is also responsible for taking care of the grounds, pool, and clubhouse. This board is NOT responsible for implementing a Neighborhood Watch or other things. They CAN be a part of it and that would be NICE, but they don't have to be a part of it. I, as a concerned citizen, made a call, forwarded the info to them as A COURTESY, and was told afterward that THIS LOTB had made the call as well. Upon following up that info with my contact person, saying, hey, our board is already on that, I was told that the LOTB had called AFTER I contacted the board. And I was asked for that LOTBs info. Frnakly, it's been a WEEK and this LOTB has not followed up.

So, if this BOARD member is so stressed and unable to add to his plate due to more pressing BOARD concerns, WHY NOT LET SOMEONE HELP WHO HAS OFFERED TO HELP?

Oh I know why: power tripping and manly chest beating.

BTW, sorry about your canoe--just be glad that's all they took and that they didn't rape someone or worse. We have a security system, I'm getting a taser, and if the LOTB doesn't have TIME to get the NW in place by next week Thursday, I will follow up.

I'm not living in a military compound. Sheesh.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:49 PM

280 posts, read 686,590 times
I don't have our alarm system activated, guess I better work on that tomorrow. I actually hesitated to shower the other day because it was around 11 AM and I was home alone. I thought if I get in the shower, with my vehicle in the closed garage, it will appear as if no one is home. Imagine climbing out of the shower to burglars in your house - YIKES!!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Brinks quoted us $34/month for security monitoring or around $37/month for security + fire monitoring. Some friends of our thought that was high and we should target $20/month.

Curious as to what other people are paying. Does $20/month sound too good to be true?

Also, besides Brinks and ADT, what other home security companies are there? Our friends mentioned "Huntsville Security" but I couldn't find them; they must have some other name or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area