Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I understand what you are writing.

It seems a lot of people have not pest control at all, and they DIY all year including summer.

Also, how much risk is there of an insect problem in winter? I understand the mice/rodents problem probably increases in winter (we had none this past winter but my neighbors did two winters ago).
If you possess common sense, can follow directions, and have the time, there are many pest problems which can be controlled by DIY. However, without a knowledge of insect and rodent biology, habitat, and behavior, there are many other situations which are beyond the ability of most people, and there is a potential for harming non-target species and even family pets.

Your location is paramount in determing what type of pest problems you might encounter in winter. In SoCal, most of my insect calls were for roaches, followed by foodpests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,868,107 times
I'm prepared to nuke my backyard to eliminate the ant hills that keep popping up.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:46 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,928 times
We have a termite bond and nothing else. Hubby is a big DIY (read: cheap engineer) type of guy. We don't have pest problems inside the house. Knock on wood.

We have seen black widows in the garage and crawlspace so we spray for those and take some extra precautions in those areas. We have been fighting mosquitoes this year (finally sprayed the yard with chemicals) and he just does a little bit of research about the product and how to keep the pets safe. Oh, yeah--he's been known to fight a fire ant or two over the years.

Some of our neighbors have Cooks (and others) coming around regularly and I'm honestly not sure if that's necessary. I guess it's an ounce of prevention.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post

Some of our neighbors have Cooks (and others) coming around regularly and I'm honestly not sure if that's necessary. I guess it's an ounce of prevention.

I'm tempted to suspend until spring Cooks too, but I know the day after I suspend, I'll hear the mice or rats doing Disco Duck in the walls and I'd have to do the icky job of getting rid of the rats myself.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I'm tempted to suspend until spring Cooks too, but I know the day after I suspend, I'll hear the mice or rats doing Disco Duck in the walls and I'd have to do the icky job of getting rid of the rats myself.
Use the live trap where the door closes on one end. Then drown them in a bucket of water. Wait 'til the air bubbles stop coming up. Then dump them in the trash can (and scream or go "ew, ew, eeewwwwwww" as needed)

That's what my Dad used to do.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:28 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
Then drown them in a bucket of water. Wait 'til the air bubbles stop coming up.
I don't have the stomach for that.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I don't have the stomach for that.
Well, can't say that I've done it myself.
Might be easier to open the wallet then.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times
Hey Charles, even if you have mice, Cooks will come out and put a few traps down like they did for us. They DO NOT come back and get the dead things. That was my husband's job!!!! You can get those traps that you throw away without touching the mouse. Also, the service didn't do anything about closing up the house. That is really up to you. they might make some suggestions but it in the end is up to you. You will end up doing the dirty work anyway. I do bug granules myself all year around on the periphery of the house and we have no problems. My husband is in charge of mice patrol -- making sure they can't get in. And precaution is taen by putting those things outside along the house that the mice go in and eat poison but nothing else can get in. That is what a professional uses , which we used when we first moved in. He also threw a few poison blocks in the attic. All of which you can do yourself. Just use wisdom. We have a cat and we would never endanger him or the birds that I feed or the wildlife around us.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
We're in the country with no homes in sight, house in the woods with hay field behind us and horse/cow pasture on one side...DIY for bugs, no issues. Went with Cook's termite control.
The first fall/winter we were in the house we had mice issues. Since then, we've been more proactive. A couple of outdoor cats (which have mushroomed into many barn cats), and about this time of year I chuck a few of those poison bait blocks under the crawl space, make sure entry points are still sealed, and set a few traps at points where we've had issues. We haven't had any in the house since that first fall, haven't heard any in the walls since then, and last year didn't even catch any in the traps, and fewer bait blocks were eaten.

I think that's due largely to the burgeoning cat population--they're stopping them before they even get to the house!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
...burgeoning cat population--they're stopping them before they even get to the house!
Cat is also a good option, unless they start bringing you "presents". Ewww.

I think one, maybe two (spayed/neutered) would be satisfactory if you lived in a neighborhood. Of course,you might spend more on cat food/litter and veterinary costs than you would on a Cooks contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area