Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 06:11 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

I hope you can answer a few questions I have about the right of a resident to build on property that TVA has built power lines on.

I am looking at some property along the Elk River. The property has TVA power lines crossing it diagonally near the back of the property. I had originally been looking at the property with the intention of building a home overlooking the river, but it appears that this easement may cause some difficulty. Ultimately I would like to build a floating dock (at the very least) and a deck overlooking the river.

Can you give me some insight on what I can and can't do on my own property if TVA owns an easement on it? Also, how does this affect the property's value from the perspective of a buyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I hope you can answer a few questions I have about the right of a resident to build on property that TVA has built power lines on.

I am looking at some property along the Elk River. The property has TVA power lines crossing it diagonally near the back of the property. I had originally been looking at the property with the intention of building a home overlooking the river, but it appears that this easement may cause some difficulty. Ultimately I would like to build a floating dock (at the very least) and a deck overlooking the river.

Can you give me some insight on what I can and can't do on my own property if TVA owns an easement on it? Also, how does this affect the property's value from the perspective of a buyer?
Docks fall under the jurisdiction of the Corps of Engineers.

Don't know how a power line easement would affect that. I don't recall anything being built under power lines. I do know that if it's not allowed, TVA (or any utility) will tear down your structure, often with no warning. You could check with the county to see if there are guidelines. I don't believe there are any zoning or even building standards in the county proper (there certainly are in Athens, though).

Some like to back up to power lines because they'll never have any neighbors. Some don't want to live under or near power lines.

You could probably call TVA with questions.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:39 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Elk river is navigable and part of the TVA impoundment, so you might run into more regulations than you would dream of. The easement should spell out any restrictions on building. Regular power lines can have minimal issues, but high tension lines are a whole different ball of wax. Consider, among other possibilities, that a tornado or strong winds could drop those lines on a house, that the EMF of a line can create a buzzing noise that is very disconcerting, and that under certain conditions nearby metal can pick up induced currents.

Also, unless you have sewer, you will need enough room for septic, and you can expect regulations in coming years to force removal of septic systems in situations like this.

I would walk away from this property unless I planned on using it for seasonal camping.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:40 PM

567 posts, read 1,743,745 times
I have TVA power lines across my property. I hear that it could cause cancer. Somwhere they put a park underneath them and all the kids in the area came down with cancer. I know I get shocked when I am walking under them and pet my dog or touch the fence. I would not want to build to close to them. I have dug a pond in the easment 3 years ago and no one has said anything. My house is about 100 yards away. As far as a dock, there are areas that TVA will not let you build one or cut the grass within so many feet of the river. Talk to the poeple who own property around it. They will tell you who to call.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:55 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Thank you to all of you who responded! I've decided to walk away from this property, but not because of the power lines. I managed to find out quite a bit from TVA, and in regards to easement, one of the TVA employees offered to meet me out there and show me where the easement ends on each side of the transmission line (75 ft either side). These are not the big tall "buzzing" lines, so I can live with the ugliness of them, since the area is densely wooded on either side. Another TVA person is having the watershed contact me about the waterfront, but I've had it with the selling realtor.
Has anyone ever heard of the burden of proof being on the BUYER? Maybe this is a subject for a new thread.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM

567 posts, read 1,743,745 times
Realators, Insurance salesman, Lawyers, and Polititians. That would make a good thread.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 13,090 times
I don't have a reply to the inquiry but I do have a question.
Can I be reimbursed by TVA for their power lines crossing my property? I have tried to sell my 5 acres and small cabin but no one seems to want it with the power lines crossing. I really need to improve my home or purchase another one. Only 3 1/2 acres are usable because of the lines and that part is mostly woods. I have owned the property for many years and didn't realize that it would be so hard to sell!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
If the lines were there when you bought the property, no.

When the lines were built, they would have paid the property owner...probably that section was condemned by eminent domain, and the landowner reimbursed at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area