Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:56 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,715,712 times

Advertisements

How COOL is that!? Husband went hiking near Bankhead yesterday, and as he is oft to do, left something on the top of his car as he drove away...

Huntsville hiker #1 saw this happen, watched the gizmo eventually fall from the vehicle and today followed the programed 'home' to find his way to my door...where he verified what my husband drives before handing it over.

(Somebody didn't even know he'd lost it until I called him.)

So thank you, kind stranger - that is the second *really nice* never-woulda-happened-in-FL event since I've moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 AM

447 posts, read 559,093 times
The last story I heard about a lost GPS was totally different. Someone actually followed the programmed "Home" and broke in the house.

Of course that was not in Huntsville.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM

Point well taken.

Being armed only helps when you're actually home and able to defend.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:44 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,003,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post

So thank you, kind stranger - that is the second *really nice* never-woulda-happened-in-FL event since I've moved here.
Well... never say "never".

For example, I lost my company-owned cell phone back in California. Everybody know what a PITA it is to report it and get reprimanded

Well, after a few days, this supermarket manager called me and say one of the employees found my cell phone and turned it in. He just flipped to "home" directory and called me. I was suprised & happy, went to picked it up and thanked him profusely.

BTW, that supermarket deserves a plug, it's called "Ralphs", a big chain in So Cal.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 PM

SHOUT-OUT to RALPH's!

After 30 years in south Florida, I am inclined to think GUXU's scenario would have been more likely there...even in my white-picket "desirable" neighborhood, it was a thug's life glamorized.
Pretty cutthroat where I lived...I would hold the door for someone and get pushed as they walked through. (True story) Ah, the examples = I could go on for days...

The mentality is different.

Where-as now, well - not everyone is Mr. Rogers, but I've witnessed so many nice little behaviors that I can't help but share it...people going out of their way for me. That is exceptional.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,252,013 times
So true.. I was at a pet store and after checking out while loading my car I discovered an item that was under a big bag of dog food. I tried to give it to the mgr who was helping me load my car, explaining I would come back another day and get it then. He told me to keep it and pay for it next time I was in the store!!! Granted, the guy knows I come in often to buy dog food but that would have never happened in FL. I would have probably been arrested for shop lifting even though it was not on purpose.

I did go back a couple of weeks later to buy dog food and I did pay for the item, although the lady at the cash register kept trying to give me the item.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 AM

124 posts, read 322,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
The last story I heard about a lost GPS was totally different. Someone actually followed the programmed "Home" and broke in the house.

Of course that was not in Huntsville.

How would they know they followed the GPS? Houses usually are cased several days before a break in. I find the anecdotal story highly suspect.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:20 AM

447 posts, read 559,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
How would they know they followed the GPS? Houses usually are cased several days before a break in. I find the anecdotal story highly suspect.
There were more details of the story. The crook actually took the GPS and the garage opener from a car parked outside a stadium. Then he entered the house from the garage. It's that easy.

Also there is a story about text message. A lady lost her purse with cell phone, ID, ATM card, credit card and etc in it. A crook picked up the purse, found her husband's information from cell phone's address book. Then, he texted the husband saying "she" forgot the pin. The husband simply replied the message and told "his wife" the pin.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
There were more details of the story. The crook actually took the GPS and the garage opener from a car parked outside a stadium. Then he entered the house from the garage. It's that easy.

Also there is a story about text message. A lady lost her purse with cell phone, ID, ATM card, credit card and etc in it. A crook picked up the purse, found her husband's information from cell phone's address book. Then, he texted the husband saying "she" forgot the pin. The husband simply replied the message and told "his wife" the pin.

Do you believe every email story that hits your inbox?

Those nice people from Nigeria really do not have millions of dollars waiting for you.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 AM

Default Update.

Quote:

snopes.com: GPS Burglary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area