Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:58 AM

71 posts, read 289,587 times

Advertisements

I live in Chicago & have customers in Huntsville and Muscle Shoals.

Just wanted to say that it is so refreshing to meet nice, down to earth people that aren't in a rush to get everywhere.

Here in Chicago it's constant nonstop. I felt my blood pressure rise as soon as I landed at Ohare and saw the snow. Things just got worse driving home and people cutting in and out, etc.

People in the restaurants, gas stations, etc in Alabama were just so friendly. I am trying to get my wife to move to Nashville. I think Huntsville might be too much of a culture shock for her but I just wanted to share my positive perspecive from a total outsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,999 times
Thanks SPTL, I moved from the South Suburbs down here to Hsv and we have not regretted it at all. Although I do miss the sports and food, but the quality of life and cost of living can't be beat.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:05 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Bring her down for a visit..We have ppl from all over the world living here. It is nice to know that you found AL to be what some of us believe it to be.

I believe I have found our little slice of heaven..right here in 'Sweet Home Alabama'

Old 02-29-2008, 07:06 AM

The food might be the hard part although you have Waffle Houses whereas in Chicago we have the "Greek" restaurants (if you're from Chicago you know what I mean).

Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Don't know about the Greek restaurants in Chicago but can get Grits in every restaurant

I do love Greek food though, use to go to Tarpon Springs in fL for the 'real thing'.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,995 times
Default Don't give up on the Greek food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTLSS1 View Post
The food might be the hard part although you have Waffle Houses whereas in Chicago we have the "Greek" restaurants (if you're from Chicago you know what I mean).
IIRC, there actually IS a Greek restaurant in the Boardwalk shopping center (near Jade Palace, on University Drive). I think it was called Papa Gyro's. If it hasn't closed, that is. Try it; it's not upscale Greek, but should be good if you really need a fix.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTLSS1 View Post
Ha Ha yes, even after a while you start to miss the greasy food from Nicky's and all those places.

But yes there is one place that sell gyros and honestly it is pretty good and it is still open.

Give me a good italian beef (most people don't know what that is) and a good pizza and I would be very happy.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM

I can always send you some Portillo's or Mister Beef or Flukey's or Siper Dawg...you get the idea.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:16 AM

You are just killing me now. There are a few stops I have to make whenever I get up there. Freddy's in Bridgeport - so good. Gotta hit Portillo's. El farrol on south archer. And I love Gino's.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:35 AM

I'll have to try Freddy's since I have family in Bridgeport.

Gino's is good but...Lou Malnati's is king. Don't forget about Giordano's, Nancy's, Uno's (the real one not the chain),...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area