Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 AM

216 posts, read 580,800 times

Advertisements

We give a lot of referrals and recommendations on this forum...let's focus on our local small businesses.

Our small businesses are hurting. I have seen many that have been here for years go out of business. The small businesses often get looked over, especially with all the "big business" coming into our area. We have so many new people in our area, let's help them find these great places!

So, what is your favorite small business in our area? From retail to restaurants, labor, service....tell everyone about your favorite places that may be "off the beaten path". Those are the treasures of our area!

Restaurant:
D&L Bistro on South Parkway. They have a fantastic lunch, and their dinner is amazing! Lunch is very affordable, and they have hot and cold choices. Soups, salads, sandwiches, and hot meals. Dinner is a great place for a date night with your special someone, and the chef has a great wine selection.

Main Street Cafe in Madison (downtown). Great lunch place, again has hot and cold options. Where else can you eat in a jail cell! Their strawberry pretzel salad is amazing!!!! Only open for lunch, prices are very reasonable.

Retail:
J Whitner (ladies boutique) off South Memorial (across from Ethan Allen). Great selection of purses and jewelry, and they have some very unique clothing options. She has great sales! She carries casual wear, as well as a great selection of cocktail dresses and evening wear.

Animal Trax in Madison (downtown). Great pet store, carries many small pets (hamsters, rabbits, ferrets, snakes, ect). Also has a good selection of pet supplies, prices comparable to Pet Smart. Owner and staff is extremely personable and helpful.

Kemps Flooring on HWY 72. After pricing flooring of all types for many clients, Kemps beats them all! They have a great staff, and offer competitive prices (they will price match) as well as exceptional service. They also have a great selection of area rugs and floor care products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Hill Lawnmower: Clean, modern shop. Well staffed. The only thing is they aren't open on Sunday (when a homeowner might need them). Picked up a Honda Lawnmower there. It's been my experience that purchasing light equipment from an authorized dealer is much more convenient when something breaks. I've purchased everything from chainsaws to blowers to weed eaters to power washers to lawnmowers to edgers to snow blowers - all gas.

Lee's Magic Tunnel Car Wash: This place is great. Wash and hand wax on my full sized F-150 Supercab or my wife's Sequoia is like $34. That's cheap. Also not open on Sunday; again when we need them to be.

Buddy's Small Engine: Clean, modern shop. Picked up a Huskqvarna blower there.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 AM

692 posts, read 1,503,566 times
I was only in Huntsville for a long weekend, but we LOVED Thomas Pit BBQ, it isn't much to look at and we decided to do carryout since it is quite small inside, but the food was AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks for starting this thread, I love scoping out/supporting the small businesses whenever possible!!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 AM

216 posts, read 580,800 times
Thomas BBQ is one of those places I have always wanted to try.....may have to get dinner takeout there this week!

Have to concur with Charles about Hill Lawnmower...

Old 02-22-2009, 11:19 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,796,609 times
Delta Muffler & Brake on South Parkway. I've been going to them since the late Sixties. Honest, reasonable, and do a very good job.

Huntsville Hardware on Triana Boulevard between Bob Wallace and Governors Drive. One of the few remaining indepent full line hardware stores in the city. Lewters Hardware on Washington Street between Holmes Avenue and Monroe Street is another great hardware store, with a good product line and great customer service, featuring more outdoor furniture, gardening accessories, and outdoor power equipment than Huntsville Hardware.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:54 PM

346 posts, read 851,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmamma View Post
We give a lot of referrals and recommendations on this forum...let's focus on our local small businesses.

Our small businesses are hurting. I have seen many that have been here for years go out of business. The small businesses often get looked over, especially with all the "big business" coming into our area. We have so many new people in our area, let's help them find these great places!

So, what is your favorite small business in our area? From retail to restaurants, labor, service....tell everyone about your favorite places that may be "off the beaten path". Those are the treasures of our area!

Restaurant:
D&L Bistro on South Parkway. They have a fantastic lunch, and their dinner is amazing! Lunch is very affordable, and they have hot and cold choices. Soups, salads, sandwiches, and hot meals. Dinner is a great place for a date night with your special someone, and the chef has a great wine selection.

Main Street Cafe in Madison (downtown). Great lunch place, again has hot and cold options. Where else can you eat in a jail cell! Their strawberry pretzel salad is amazing!!!! Only open for lunch, prices are very reasonable.

Retail:
J Whitner (ladies boutique) off South Memorial (across from Ethan Allen). Great selection of purses and jewelry, and they have some very unique clothing options. She has great sales! She carries casual wear, as well as a great selection of cocktail dresses and evening wear.

Animal Trax in Madison (downtown). Great pet store, carries many small pets (hamsters, rabbits, ferrets, snakes, ect). Also has a good selection of pet supplies, prices comparable to Pet Smart. Owner and staff is extremely personable and helpful.

Kemps Flooring on HWY 72. After pricing flooring of all types for many clients, Kemps beats them all! They have a great staff, and offer competitive prices (they will price match) as well as exceptional service. They also have a great selection of area rugs and floor care products.

That strawberry pretzel salad sounds awesome!!! What all was in that?? May have to go visit there just to try it

Old 02-22-2009, 06:22 PM

692 posts, read 1,503,566 times
""Main Street Cafe in Madison (downtown). Great lunch place, again has hot and cold options. Where else can you eat in a jail cell! Their strawberry pretzel salad is amazing!!!! Only open for lunch, prices are very reasonable. ""

See, we all focus on different things, goes to show how diverse we are ; ) I kept thinking WOW, a jail cell. The kids are gonna love it, but then it might be harder to use that "put on your buckle or the police will put you in jail" logic ; )

Old 02-22-2009, 07:22 PM

871 posts, read 2,885,916 times
Engineered Maintenance Services
7234 Governors West (near Bridge Street)
(256) 837-2950
Small engine repairs, service, tool repairs.

Did a great job servicing my Troy-Bilt/Honda Pressure Washer. They are the only ones I know that could do the pump oil replacement. Top notch!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:24 PM

Jay's Appliance Repair
(256) 230-2013

Jay makes house calls. He is top notch! Know he can do Whirlpool and GE. In fact, he fixed our Whirlpool Dryer as sent to us by Whirlpool when Bob Wallace Appliance could not fix it after 3 tries. We have since had him back to fix our ice maker and it was done right the first time.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:26 PM

Southern Tile and Restoration
Southern Tile and Stone Restoration - Home

Matt Burger did an awesome job removing 4 years of black from our tan grout! The work was quick and top notch. He came out for a free estimate and finished the job for less than his estimate. Prices are surprisingly reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area