Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 PM

340 posts, read 723,379 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am new to Huntsville and we are looking over the in Hampton Cove/Owens Cross Road Area. We have narrowed it down to possibly the new Jeff Benton River Ridge S/D.

Our concern is the Flint River being so close to the S/D.
Does anyone know if this area is known to have flooding issues from the Flint River?

We really do not know the flooding history for this particular river and area, any feedback or experiences would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 PM

216 posts, read 580,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwell View Post
Hi All,

I am new to Huntsville and we are looking over the in Hampton Cove/Owens Cross Road Area. We have narrowed it down to possibly the new Jeff Benton River Ridge S/D.

Our concern is the Flint River being so close to the S/D.
Does anyone know if this area is known to have flooding issues from the Flint River?

We really do not know the flooding history for this particular river and area, any feedback or experiences would be great.

Thanks!
That is awfully close to the floodplan....you more than likely will have to carry flood insurance by your lender.
I know that there are some houses in River Ridge that do have to carry flood...some skirt right outside, but only the flood certification done during closing is the final word. I had a client looking there, and it appeared the majority of that neighborhood, according to our flood map overlay, would require flood insurance.
I really don't remember that area "flooding", that is not to say it never has. But there are lots of areas that require flood insurance that never flood.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,569 times
I printed out a map of the River Ridge Area from Huntsville's online GIS, and the subdivision sits right next to the line drawn for the 100-yr flood plain. That said, so does a good portion of Hampton Cove along the eastern bypass, cobblestone cove, and some of deford mill.

We've also been looking at that subdivision but honestly, the lots seem a little small.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:20 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
if you live in or near a 100 year flood zone, it's going to flood when you're there

Old 02-23-2009, 02:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
I'm out of the Flint 100 but in the Flint 500.

Flood insurance was not required.

I bought it anyway.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We have been going back through the
GIS maps that show the 100yr and 500yr flood plain lines. Seems like a lot of
the S/Ds are in/next to the 100yr or 500yr flood plain areas.

Someone said back in December there was some flooding
but could not remember exact location off old big cove road??

Also, I keep seeing ZONE X-F, does any know what this means. I have
not been able to find it yet.

Thanks again!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwell View Post

Also, I keep seeing ZONE X-F, does any know what this means.
Did you google it?

I did.

Look here:

- Google Search

ftp://gismaps.hsvcity.com/Engineering/capshawsewerextplans.pdf (broken link)

ftp://gismaps.hsvcity.com/Engineering/knoxcreekss3dplans.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the information charles. I tried to search for it at the Hsv city web site but without any luck. Looks like it has to do with land prep for flood areas, I plan to call the city to get a confirmation of it. Just wondered since it was near most of the 100/500 year line areas.

Thanks again!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM

117 posts, read 446,592 times
We live in HC and when we bought our house we asked our insurance company about flood insurance. They went into detail about where our house was on the flood plain. We can see the Flint River from our house during heavy rains. We do have flood insurance and are on the edge of the 100 year flood plain. I say be safe than sorry and take out Flood insurance. It is only a couple of hundred dollars a year and well worth the feeling of security when you can see the river rising, the golf course under water, and the area around the ball park a big lake!

Call any insurance company and they can tell you about your property or look at the maps Charles has suggested.

River Ridge is a pretty area and will be a nice community once it is more established. Jeff Benton is an honest builder.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,569 times
Well, knowing my luck, I'd buy a house in River Ridge and we'd end up with a once in 500 years flood... or a tornado.

I graduated from college with a computer science degree - right when the dot com bubble burst.

I moved to the Mississippi Gulfcoast just in time to get wiped out by Katrina.

Then I moved to Virginia just in time for the housing bubble to burst - the house I was renting was foreclosed on. lol

I hear Huntsville has tornados and flooding and figure one of those will be next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area