Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:24 AM

60 posts, read 142,032 times

Advertisements

Soon to be first time mom -- and trying to figure out my daycare/babysitting options after maternity leave. I work full time in Research Park, but live in Hampton Cove... so am looking something that is kind of "on the way" going in to work, or either near work or home. Any moms or dads out there have any suggestions of places to visit? This is a little overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Hampton Cove Academy is right next door to Hampton Cove Elementary/Middle School. It's religous though if that matters. My five year old is there but I see a bunch of babies there there too.

There are several in Research Park that look secular. There is one on Technology between Sparkman and Wynn and also on Bradford between Wynn and Research.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:32 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,783 times
Miss Marcia's in the Medical District is nice, she has been there a long time. They have very flexible plans as well. I'm not sure about the youngest age that they will take though.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:52 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,427,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretelB View Post
Soon to be first time mom -- and trying to figure out my daycare/babysitting options after maternity leave. I work full time in Research Park, but live in Hampton Cove... so am looking something that is kind of "on the way" going in to work, or either near work or home. Any moms or dads out there have any suggestions of places to visit? This is a little overwhelming.
I suggest you visit the following in CRP -have a checklist of most important things you look for in childcare:
Some of these facilities are geared more towards older kids, and have only one small infant class, 6-10 babies, some have 15-20) :

Covenant Classical School and Daycare (6wks to K)
220 Exchange Place
256-837-KIDS (5437)

Providence Academy (Montessori) (6wks-k) -is nicely tucked in the back-lots of trees and green spaces
1930 Slaughter Rd
(256) 830-9555

Child Care Network (Sherwood Park) - that gas station right next the school building was a turnoff for me.
6210 Robinhood Ln.
(256) 837-5859

Primrose of Research Park (the most $$$, $205 2 yrs ago)
5014 Bradford Dr
(256) 830-0110

Note. La Petite Academy (Technology Dr,) didn't vibe well with me when I visited (a few months later I hear in the news about a teacher knocking 1-yr old's teeth out -claimed it was an accident, fell (or chew?) on the crib side rail-the kid needed extensive surgery)

As a reminder, it is really hard to evaluate an infant program, with an older child you can see the "results" in child's development.

I learned to let go or loosen up my standards and go with the best I could find out there (of course I wanted my child to live in a germ-free bubble when she started daycare, I soon was horrified that they were crawling on the same floors the teachers walked in street shoes, or parents would step on in the morning to drop their kids off). Just Montessori made everybody leave their shoes at the door when entering the infant room (i guess in their mind the socks or bare feet were more sanitary than the soles?!).

It's been 2 years since then, and we survived.

Good luck in your search.

PS. We chose to have the kid close to work so in case of an emergency pickup phone call to get there timely, or inclement weather, or a traffic jam on the way home. In your case is quite a drive from CRP to HC. You'd have the child with you in the back seat if traffic was bottlenecked/backed up on your way home. And remember that most of these facilities work 7A-6P.
Some centers allow moms to come in and nurse, play during the day (I spent my lunchtime at Primrose, other moms from Toyota were there too-I guess they were first time moms too?, ...and dads), some don't (have a CCTV where you can watch the child). I'm talking about visiting the infant/young 1yr old toddler, not participating in the 4 yr old classroom

Last edited by friday13; 04-14-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 AM

60 posts, read 142,032 times
Thank you everyone for all of these suggestions! I am bad enough about where I will board my DOG due to cleanliness issues... so I know there are certain things about a day care center that I'm going to have to get over. I have no idea how much day care typically runs down here -- so that is something I'm going to need to think about as well.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 AM

122 posts, read 354,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
I learned to let go or loosen up my standards and go with the best I could find out there (of course I wanted my child to live in a germ-free bubble when she started daycare, I soon was horrified that they were crawling on the same floors the teachers walked in street shoes, or parents would step on in the morning to drop their kids off). Just Montessori made everybody leave their shoes at the door when entering the infant room (i guess in their mind the socks or bare feet were more sanitary than the soles?!).
We use Premier PreSchool in CRP. It is on Bradford Drive. They also make you remove shoes before entering the infant room.

We have had 2 kids go through there and our 3rd will be starting soon. Infant costs are a little over $200 a week. We have never had a single safety or cleanliness issue to speak of in the almost 7 years we have had kids there.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretelB View Post
. I have no idea how much day care typically runs down here --
The daycare centers (businesses not home-run 3-4 children) may run for $150-$210 a week (infant) - food, milk is brought from home (and warmed up in microwave in some places-another pet peeve of mine, especially when you provide breast milk, alternatives include bottle warmer, crockpot/double boil), diapers, wet wipes. Some places require unopened jars of food (try to do that when you puree a big batch a veggies and freeze at home), or X number of prepared bottles for the day.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:44 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,869,183 times
I generally prefer daycares closer to home, as I'm more likely to change jobs than I am to move.

That said, I'm out in the Big Cove/Hampton Cove area and Hampton Cove Academy isn't licensed with the state so we went with Primrose in Research Park. (Alabama Department of Human Resources (http://www.dhr.state.al.us/Index.asp - broken link) - select "Services" from top menu then "Child Care Services" and search Madison County.

My was halfway tempted to look at starting a daycare (or franchise) in the Hampton Cove area. We miss the web cams that our daycare in VA had... among other things. Its just nice to be able to take a peek at what your kid is doing from time to time.

The turnover rate among the teachers is horrendous, which is why we generally prefer the expensive daycares which tend to have less turnover - or at least was the case in VA, but hasn't been the case for us at Primrose.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,869,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
We use Premier PreSchool in CRP. It is on Bradford Drive. They also make you remove shoes before entering the infant room.

We have had 2 kids go through there and our 3rd will be starting soon. Infant costs are a little over $200 a week. We have never had a single safety or cleanliness issue to speak of in the almost 7 years we have had kids there.
Premier has an infant room? I thought they don't take kids till 4 years old?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
The turnover rate among the teachers is horrendous, which is why we generally prefer the expensive daycares which tend to have less turnover - or at least was the case in VA, but hasn't been the case for us at Primrose.
True that about Primrose, been there, and gone when a slot at a less expensive center became available. That's not to say that where we are now we had better luck with teachers staying longer. nope. But the personnel turnaround hasn't been on top of my priorities. I mean, children 6wk-2yr move up every 6 months and their classmates, too, at different times, but it would've been nice to have some stability in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Premier has an infant room? I thought they don't take kids till 4 years old?
Same-o here, had no idea, at least 2 years ago they weren't advertising the infant services, I would've paid them a visit, they're just across from Primrose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area