Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,588,944 times

Advertisements

We just got an email about the H1NI Vaccination coming to our school district. I am very much on the fence about this vaccination. My DD already had a mild case of it. Does she need a shot now? This vaccination was put together very quickly. What are the side-effects and ramifications?

The students can opt out via parents' discretion, but I wonder what other parents think about the schools doing this? Any issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 09:11 PM

692 posts, read 1,503,995 times
We aren't doing it. My son is likely to have more severe side effects. Now knowing that the majority of cases are mild, I won't risk potential unknown side effects in my children. I also don't believe that ANY vaccine should be administered at school. I don't like the opt out type consent forms, you blink and suddenly you have consented to something-it reminds me of when my children ask for things they know they can't have, when I am on the phone. sneaky sneaky.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,792,066 times
I am not comfortable with this vaccine. And I'm usually the first person to dismiss a lot of the recent vaccine concerns (well not dismiss outright, but a believer in the benefits outweighing the risks).

However with this one I am not convinced. I am not convinced that H1N1 is serious enough to warrant widespread vaccination, and I am not convinced that this vaccine has been adequately tested. JMO. If the illness were more worrisome or if the vaccine were not so new, I'd probably go for it, but the combination of those two things make me reticent to have my kids get it. I would also probably have them get it if they were especially high risk for developing complications from respiratory illnesses.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:49 PM

692 posts, read 1,503,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I would also probably have them get it if they were especially high risk for developing complications from respiratory illnesses.
The catch 22 here is that those are the exact people who are showing the worst of the side effects.

My son is one of those children. He can't even get a seasonal flu shot without getting pneumonia.

The decisions don't get any easier even if it seems that they would.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 PM

227 posts, read 535,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
We just got an email about the H1NI Vaccination coming to our school district. I am very much on the fence about this vaccination. My DD already had a mild case of it. Does she need a shot now? This vaccination was put together very quickly. What are the side-effects and ramifications?

The students can opt out via parents' discretion, but I wonder what other parents think about the schools doing this? Any issues?
Maybe this link can help. Dr. Andrew Moulden (Interview): What You Were Never Told About Vaccines | VacTRUTH

Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 AM

I know I am not convinced about this vaccination either. I have heard many negative things about it. Even my doctor is not doing it--so what to do? I know for a fact that is highly treatable with TAMIFLU. I might opt her out.

I am not against the vaccinations in schools in general. I remember getting them when I was in Canada all the time--we'd all get our POLIO/DPT in the schools for free. It was a right of passage. There was never any concerns there about whether or not the kids were vaccinated.

The gov't took care of it.

That's National Health Care/Mother Gov't -- parents didn't get the option to opt out.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
I don't necessarily buy into this dude's claims--but thanks for posting. I'm mostly concerned about Guillaume-Barr (a problem the last time they hastily developed and administered the flu vaccine). I've never been a natural medicine person per say, or overly political about this kind of stuff, but when my GP says she's concerned and won't admin to her own children, then I worry.

The safety data and facts aren't there...

Still not sure what to do--might call my doctor's office and talk to someone there about my concerns.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:53 AM

205 posts, read 590,354 times
Athens State issued its normal flu shot this week, and the nurses there didn't recommend it. Really makes me wonder. Up until then, I figured that if it was offered, I would take it.

However, I don't believe I have ever had any type of flu other than maybe a 24 hour bug. I can't remember the last true sick day I took -- unless you count when I gave blood and passed out...

So I may opt out as well, if it were offered.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 AM

It's a tough call--that's why I am calling my doctor first. I trust her opinion more than a faceless gov't official --

Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,427,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
It's a tough call--that's why I am calling my doctor first. I trust her opinion more than a faceless gov't official --
Where do you think the doctors get their "opinion" from? Govt. regulations, guidelines, their own common sense, fears, past history (their kids, family, themselves). Unless the Govt. makes it mandatory, I think you are in the same position as your dr. to know what to do/choose. Also think about the dr.'s liability: at best they can only present you with the pros and cons, and most do (I cannot think of how many times a nurse would direct me to the dr. for simple questions, or a dr. presenting me with choices - To give you an example: just recently I saw a video on msnbc about a lady that was advised her breast cancer is treatable only by removing a section of the breast, she went ahead over the dr.'s "opinion" and had double mastectomy just to be sure the cancer is removed forever - guess what: another dr. came in the studio and said that even if she removed her breasts there is still a risk for the disease to comeback (i believe she was also carrier of the gene), take another guess: how is the breast cancer diagnosed? By examining the breasts - that she hastily removed- the cancer could still be in the surrounding area (armpit).

And also think this way: The dr. says "yeah sure, go ahead, get the vaccine" - ASK him why you should do it. He says "no" - ask him why.
He will not tell you anything more than what you already know! Unless he's the one who developed the vaccine and knows the facts first-hand, otherwise it's just govt. indoctrination (or his medical assn)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area