Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:26 AM

172 posts, read 609,584 times

Advertisements

The Olde Heidelberg is still there. Not sure when it opened, but I've been eating there since 1989 or so. I travel up from Shelby County just to eat there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 AM

41 posts, read 141,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelPhotog View Post
The Olde Heidelberg is still there. Not sure when it opened, but I've been eating there since 1989 or so. I travel up from Shelby County just to eat there.

That's the one! Great food!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:21 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelPhotog View Post
The Olde Heidelberg is still there. Not sure when it opened, but I've been eating there since 1989 or so.
It was originally called Bavaria and was located in the old Heart of Huntsville mall. It opened some time in the mid-60's.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,216 times
I Know I was A kitchen manager for Darryls from 1990-92 It was a fun place to work I hope to get back to Huntsville again soon I've bet alot of things have changed.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,129 times
Crockmiers on Friday afternoon Happy Hours? Where the reluctant were as rare as an ugly member of The Swedish Beach Volley Ball Team ..... Aaaaah, happy hunting grounds!
The Cork and Cleaver, next to The Foggygutter?
The Kaffeeklatsch, where the washed, sane or solvent feared to venture, but the aroma was occassionally not just coffee but er, em "relaxing"!
There was a dodgy little diner (opposite a pharmacy) in some tired little shopping centr eat the end of either Oakwood or Pratt .... cheap and cheerful, with gleefully/seriously suspect hygiene but peddling a most effective hangover vanquishing menu! Is it still there?!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:54 AM

138 posts, read 155,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved1986 View Post
I remember darryls (overpriced beer). Also the fogcutter (cool place). Roys mexican on university as well as one of my favs: Willie Muffets. Also, I miss the litchen sinks at stanleos, if I ever end back up in huntsville, I will hit it. There was also a great german place with tons of susages.

Another place (Bar) I cannot remember was on University towards the memorial parkway: It was a dance bar in a hotel. Also, is the Plush Horse still there? Huntsville kicked butt in the 80s

Yes the Plush Horse is still there, at least the building is. I think (not 100% sure) that Dewey Brazelton owns it, last I heard he was trying to reopen it as a club but the fire marshal (again, not 100% sure) said there were not enough parking spaces to accommodate the club. So, I believe it is still sitting there vacant :-/

Old 02-10-2016, 05:22 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
Huntsville used to have a bunch of non-chain affordable good restaurants back in the 80s. Darrell's, Fogcutter, Mr. Steak...all gone. I used to love the bread with honey that Mr. Steak used to serve. My family used to eat at El Mexicano quite a bit as well. Roy Gonzalez, the proprietor, lived a block over from us. He had another short-lived Mexican place on University I believe. Although it's a chain, I also miss the little A&W that used to be on Drake Ave. It was like a little dark cave in there complete with all the little league photos, some teams I played on.

Sadly, Huntsville has been taken over by the chain mafia of Ruby Tuesday, Applebee's, O'Charley's, Logan's, etc, none of which are particularly bad. But we have very few places with local flair anymore.
really? There are lots of local non chain (and small chain) restaurants, more than there ever was.
And that's not including the huge number of food trucks that roam the city.
Pick a food and there is a great chance that a local restaurant serves it.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:53 PM

582 posts, read 827,043 times
I miss Jackon's Resturant.

Yes, I know, most of the staff and even maybe the cooks are still there at Libby's.

But I still miss Jackson's.

Now I have Libby's in Ardmore and Al's Blanche Grocery and Grill in Blanche (both TN); this assumes of course that my wife doesn't cook me breakfast!!!

Sorta miss Qunicy's in Madison, their rolls were the bomb.

Oh! and let's not forget Subzone!!! Subway, Firehouse and yes Publix: KMA!!! None of you came close to Subzone!!! Massive loss to the community when that happened!

Old 02-10-2016, 10:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
...Oh! and let's not forget Subzone!!!...
Hated it - they always put gobs of mayo on my hot ham and cheese, even when I explicitly stated "No mayo!!!" Nothing more disgusting than hot mayo oozing out of a sandwich.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:19 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
Oh! and let's not forget Subzone!!! Subway, Firehouse and yes Publix: KMA!!! None of you came close to Subzone!!! Massive loss to the community when that happened!
Yes, I had forgotten about that small chain.
It was owned by the owners of Domino's in Decatur, FWIU. Fantastic bread. I guess the owners lost interest. I know the Huntsville one closed before the Decatur stores.

But I hear ya, Dirt Grinder. I don't mind a little bit of mayo (unlike the spouse), but gobs is disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area