Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,101,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Yeah, no kidding! What the hell has happened to us?
My cousin was a manager for Wendy's in New Orleans for 20 years+, said "when the old man died, it went downhill fast". So there you go, expert commentary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,712,603 times
Husband argues that the level of service given by employees at fast food restaurants (and Walmart) is proof that the economy isn't quite as bad as some would like to suggest...because these folks still have jobs.

Alabama is not in any hurry...we learned that right away. But as Harry said, SoFl...if you could even get the order in without a WHO's ON FIRST ordeal, it still took a crazy amount of time. Again, referring to husband, called them grease zombies or some such...

If I'm going to wait, I might as well get a real sandwich or salad, not some batter-dipped grizzle.

Now I'm missing Boston Market.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 AM

426 posts, read 1,274,161 times
I can't imagine any fast food restaurant that is slower than the Wendy's near Hughes Road in Madison. Well, WalMart is worse but we are talking fast food here. Tons of slow people waiting in lines behind slow cashiers. It's painful

I have found Arby's (at least the ones I go to) to be quite quick and efficient. Ugh--I sound like a fast food junkie

Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 34,323 times
Well we are in Alabama. There is nothing moving fast around here. Ok OK im from La,just moved here about 1 year ago from being up in the NEast for about 12 years stationed in the Navy. Huntsville may have the Arsenal here ,but has no idea about service. Nothing moves around this town until 9:30-10:00am. And then they close everything early. They want your money but they dont want to work. Fast food joints around here are a dime a dozen. With very few "GOOD" places to eat.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,444,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Now I'm missing Boston Market.
There was one, in front of Wal-Mart on University Blvd., across from the old Rosie's location.

It died.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,702,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
My cousin was a manager for Wendy's in New Orleans for 20 years+, said "when the old man died, it went downhill fast". So there you go, expert commentary.

Yup, I don't doubt that for a minute. Dave Thomas founded the company. Dave Thomas cared. Dave Thomas gave a damn...

Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,702,219 times
Another factor is that English speaking management is trying to manage Spanish speaking immigrant employees. That doesn't work at all. So they hire native-Spanish speaking immigrants from places like Peru as managers. That helps with running the restaurant, but now you've got someone totally un-American, from a very different foreign culture, running an American restaurant in America for Americans. That works like crap. I think this is a big part of the problem. It's absolutely appalling that the corporate HQ let this go on.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,712,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Another factor is that English speaking management is trying to manage Spanish speaking immigrant employees. That doesn't work at all. So they hire native-Spanish speaking immigrants from places like Peru as managers. That helps with running the restaurant, but now you've got someone totally un-American, from a very different foreign culture, running an American restaurant in America for Americans. That works like crap. I think this is a big part of the problem. It's absolutely appalling that the corporate HQ let this go on.
Peru?

You mean un-North-American, in North America, for North Americans...

But yes, the ability to fully communicate and provide appropriate service is vital to the over-all success of any business. Training is crucial. Drive home that Mission Statement! When requirement is lacking...

Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,870,608 times
I don't know, it varies by location.

I've had great experiences at the Hardees in hampton cove regularly... and pitiful experiences at the Taco Bell in hampton cove (so often that I refuse to go there anymore; if its not done entirely wrong, its done entirely slow or sloppy).

Chik-fil-a in Jones Valley is pretty fast and accurate despite huge traffic volume. McDonald's (everywhere I've tried) can't seem to correctly handle a custom order to save their life (God forbid you want a quarter pounder combo with no cheese - you WILL get cheese every time - even if explicitly saying 'no cheese').

Overall I will say the avg quality/service is somewhat lower than I experienced in VA, but there are well run establishments.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:34 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,870,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Peru?

You mean un-North-American, in North America, for North Americans...

But yes, the ability to fully communicate and provide appropriate service is vital to the over-all success of any business. Training is crucial. Drive home that Mission Statement! When requirement is lacking...

That gave me a chuckle thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area