Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,697 times

Advertisements

It's been over a year since the "bad areas in HSV*" thread was last updated, and I was wondering: how are the revitalization efforts coming along? Has the area gotten better or worse? There are several affordable homes and duplexes in the area, and as a single male I'm more worried about property values and property crime than a strictly family-friendly environment. What is on the horizon for this area?

//www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...areas-hsv.html

Last edited by JacketsFanHSV; 10-26-2009 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: URL tags don't seem to be working for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanHSV View Post
It's been over a year since the "bad areas in HSV*" thread was last updated, and I was wondering: how are the revitalization efforts coming along? Has the area gotten better or worse? There are several affordable homes and duplexes in the area, and as a single male I'm more worried about property values and property crime than a strictly family-friendly environment. What is on the horizon for this area?

//www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...areas-hsv.html
Indeed alot has happened in the last year. Let me bring you up to speed:

The owner of the Paradise Apts. in Madison (the City got the complex from HUD for $1) is looking for a "suitor". Sale price a meager $1 - caveat: needs a 1 cool mil revitalization.
paradise apts News, Images, Videos, Classifieds & More - al.com

The Hsv Housing Authority has taken upon itself to spread the "wealth" throughout the City, with a propensity toward Hsv south
housing authority huntsville News, Images, Videos, Classifieds & More - al.com

As a result, the local residents are up in arms with the Authority, while South Hsv is rapidly going downhill crime-wise. Search for poster's Macwell updates on the Concerned Citizens Assn. regarding the matter.

As for the rest, watch the Police Blotter on al.com.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 PM

889 posts, read 2,399,217 times
I think the original poster was asking about the Merrimack Mill area (formerly known as Huntsville Park). I live near there and it is doing quite well these days. The area received the coveted "historic" designation a few months back and homes are being restored and renovated all over. It's really been great to see a blighted older area turn the corner. There's still some pockets of bad spots in there, but for the most part a nice area. Just a few weeks ago my wife mentioned she'd like to buy a home in that area.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 PM

168 posts, read 559,944 times
Dee, we would love to have you as neighbors. The neighborhood is proceeding nicely. We have a good bit of interest in the neighborhood, from the press and the City Government. Merrimack Hall recently staged a play based upon life in the Village in the past. Several homes are being renovated and several homes have been purchased by young couples and families. We had our first Neighborhood Block Party and we had a good turnout. We have an active Neighborhood Association, meetings held at the Huntsville Park Baptist Church the second Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. We hold regular neighborhood cleanup events that have great participation. We still have our challenges with absentee landlords and associated problems. We are making great strides every year. My family has been here for about a year and a half. We are actively restoring a converted duplex and hope to build a garage soon. We moved here from the Five Points Historic District and plan to stay for a long time. I encourage you to PM me if you are interested in some more details. Thanks for the interest. This would be a great opportunity for you, if you are interested in older homes and hard work.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,697 times
Thanks for the information, deesonic and clamoore. That was the more optimistic than I was expecting. Good to hear about the cleanups and block parties, sounds like there's active participation in the neighborhood rather than just a neighborhood watch.

And I guess I'll stay away from the tire swing at Dublin Park in the future.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 PM

168 posts, read 559,944 times
JacketsFan and Dee, a house just went up for sale in the Neighborhood. It is for sale by owner. The sign directs people to go to sharpsales.com. Go to the Buy a Home page and enter ALA2J as the code. This is a good example of a renovated home. Many others are waiting to reach this condition with a lot of hard work. Also, these houses will come quite a bit cheaper than the one listed. The listed house is just one block away from Merrimack Hall, which has a lot of great events happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area