Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:28 PM

513 posts, read 868,171 times

Advertisements

I haven't found a favorite chinese place as of yet.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 AM

166 posts, read 344,769 times
Since the topic of Chinese food has been brought up, I have a question to ask. Before I moved here, I ate at the same Chinese restaurant for many years. It was very good. Then the food didn't seem to be so good anymore. It seemed everything was sweet. I asked why the change? I was told that Americans like sugar so much, they decided to start putting sugar in their dishes. I have tried Chinese restaurants everywhere I go, but have found them all to have sweet tasting dishes that were never sweet before.

Are there any Chinese restaurants in Huntsville that don't have to sweeten every dish they serve? It seems the only dishes without sugar in them now are the spicy ones. I just want a regular non-spicy, non-sugared meal. No wonder there are so many overweight people in the US. It seems they have to put sugar in everything. If I want something sweet I'll have dessert, but please leave the sugar out of the main course!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:22 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls2624 View Post
Since the topic of Chinese food has been brought up, I have a question to ask. Before I moved here, I ate at the same Chinese restaurant for many years. It was very good. Then the food didn't seem to be so good anymore. It seemed everything was sweet. I asked why the change? I was told that Americans like sugar so much, they decided to start putting sugar in their dishes. I have tried Chinese restaurants everywhere I go, but have found them all to have sweet tasting dishes that were never sweet before.

Are there any Chinese restaurants in Huntsville that don't have to sweeten every dish they serve? It seems the only dishes without sugar in them now are the spicy ones. I just want a regular non-spicy, non-sugared meal. No wonder there are so many overweight people in the US. It seems they have to put sugar in everything. If I want something sweet I'll have dessert, but please leave the sugar out of the main course!
Have you been to some Chinese restaurants in town? Any particular ones that you like?

Not sure I taste the same sweetness as you do, but everyone's taste is different. I would start with Ding How on Airport road. They seem to be the only "non-buffet" place that I can tolerate.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 AM

143 posts, read 358,744 times
Chinese Kitchen, Chinese Kitchen, Chinese Kitchen....a thousand times Chinese Kitchen. It is a hole in the wall kinda place in a dumpy retail plaza but I love it. It is on the other end of the spectrum from places like P.F Changs as far as atmosphere but it more than makes up for it when it comes to the food. If you've every lived anywhere where there was a chinatown and you liked the hole in the wall restaurants you'd find in places like that then you should love CK.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,096,494 times
where is Chinese Kitchen?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 AM

166 posts, read 344,769 times
Thanks! It looks like it is on 72 near University of Alabama Huntsville. The Chinese Kitchen is now on my "discover list"

Old 10-08-2010, 03:11 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,096,494 times
Great! I'll check it out pretty soon.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:42 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
I think one big reason local Chinese restaurants have gotten so bad is that Asians, or people familiar with Chinese fare, no longer prepare the food. It's done by Hispanics that the Asian family has hired.

Our former best Chinese restaurant has gone downhill since this practice became commonplace. They got rid of their Mongolian grill, and everything seems to be coated with a sweet syrup. Fresh? What a joke - nothing is fresh. I refuse to even look at the seafood, it's so nasty.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM

143 posts, read 358,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I think one big reason local Chinese restaurants have gotten so bad is that Asians, or people familiar with Chinese fare, no longer prepare the food. It's done by Hispanics that the Asian family has hired.

Our former best Chinese restaurant has gone downhill since this practice became commonplace. They got rid of their Mongolian grill, and everything seems to be coated with a sweet syrup. Fresh? What a joke - nothing is fresh. I refuse to even look at the seafood, it's so nasty.
Thats why I love Chinese Kitchen...It's a family of three from Guangzhou China who have ran it since they opened sometime in the mid 90's. Mom works the front the dad works the Wok and the son delivers on weekends when he can

Old 10-10-2010, 07:06 AM

164 posts, read 314,994 times
I tried Chinese Kitchen once for take out and wasn't impressed, based on your promptings I'm going to give them another try. Maybe it was a bad day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area