Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:45 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,805,811 times

Advertisements

I have heard several parents now mention that the district is considering moving to a 4 day school week in order to reduce costs in light of budget shortfalls.

I can't find any validation for these rumors though it appears other districts in the country have adopted a 4-day week for next year.

Anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 12:31 PM

268 posts, read 636,147 times
I don't think it's true, but if you want to find out email Doug Martinson and ask him:

Huntsville City Schools

(Email link under photo.)

Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,316,687 times
I'm an HCS teacher and this has not been mentioned to us. Of course, we are usually the last to be informed of everything. We were told this week that the problem was "very serious" and there would be "drastic cuts in positions", but as of now who would be cut has not been decided.

Cuts in teaching units means larger class populations and less supplies for your child. This year I have had to purchase all of my science lab supplies, plus paper and printer ink out of my own money. To say that my students have gotten to do less hands on science is an understatement. I have already come to the understanding that next year will be worse.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,991,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I'm an HCS teacher.
What is the process for letting teachers go? Seniority? Performance evaluations? Something else?

Do they try to cut evenly from all schools? What about schools that are way under capacity (Butler) versus over capacity (Grissom)? Do the under capacity schools already have less teachers since there are less kids in those schools?

Huntsville school board may face 151 teacher cuts | al.com

Old 03-12-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What is the process for letting teachers go? Seniority? Performance evaluations? Something else?

Do they try to cut evenly from all schools? What about schools that are way under capacity (Butler) versus over capacity (Grissom)? Do the under capacity schools already have less teachers since there are less kids in those schools?

Huntsville school board may face 151 teacher cuts | al.com
The usual process is non-tenured go first. Then those tenured teachers who are in positions that are eliminated or terminated get transfered into the positions made vacant by pinkslipping non-tenured folks. What will happen in HCS we do not know yet. Rumor has it that some tenured teachers will be terminated. This is a difficult process and usually can only be carried out if the teachers job is totally eliminated. Of course, its been many years since schools have seen budget cuts this strengent. So any of us could be at risk.

Most undercapacity school are already running on shoestring staffs. Many have only one teacher per subject per grade and already have crowded classrooms. This situation may force more school consolidations and definitely loss of many extra programs that help our children. Rumor has it that all reading coaches will be eliminated and return to the classroom.

The biggest losers in this situation are our children.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:24 PM

165 posts, read 508,888 times
I think someone got their info confused. Wallace State, I believe, was considering going to a 4-day week. It would make sense for them since, like many colleges, they don't teach very many classes on Friday anyway.

A 4-day week for elementary schools would, among other things, mean a major disruption for working parents, who would have to try to find all-day daycare for their children one day a week. It would be chaos.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
A 4-day week for elementary schools would, among other things, mean a major disruption for working parents, who would have to try to find all-day daycare for their children one day a week
This was the first point several people made when I heard this being discussed among parents. Not that children might not get sufficient education, but that they'd have to pay for child care once a week.

It drives me absolutely, bat-guano CRAZY that people consider the government's first responsibility to provide them with free childcare.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Many states have already enacted what is called "Furlough Friday" which is basically a four day school week for many students. It is causing childcare problems for parents, petty theft and disturbance problems for local police departments, and financial problems for those teachers who have their monthly pay cut by 4-5 days. It could happen here in Alabama, but I don't think it will. At least not this school year.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:27 PM

So hey teach, you don't mention problems with 20% less education for the students? This is what I was talking about.

Are the kids that are engaging in "petty theft and disturbance problems" the kids that are really benefiting from the education that we are all paying for?

Are schools now viewed as first and foremost as a public babysitting service? I'm still thinking, maybe part of the problem is parents do not truly believe that the care and supervision of their kids is their own responsibility.

I do not think a 4-day school week is a good idea, but I think the gut-reaction many people have to the idea reveals a major flaw in public attitude.

I heard a similar reaction when HCS closed school for a couple days due to the H1N1 scare. Now I thought those closings were absolutely unnecessary and just demonstrated an inability to realistically assess risk on the part of the district, but the complaint from the parents I kept hearing what "This is ridiculous! Now I have to pay for childcare!" In spite of my own feelings about the closings being unnecessary, to me the fact remains that the district's only responsibility is to provide an education in a safe environment. If they cannot do that (for whatever reason), then the child is the parent's responsibility, financial or otherwise.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM

165 posts, read 508,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
It drives me absolutely, bat-guano CRAZY that people consider the government's first responsibility to provide them with free childcare.
I know what you mean... but the reality is that there are quite a few people who plan their work schedules around their children's school schedules. Considering that daycare is more or less a rationed commodity, if schools went to a four-day week, there's a fair number of people who would have to reduce their hours or quit working in order to be home with their children. The economy being like it is right now, that wouldn't be a good thing for a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area