Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
So hey teach, you don't mention problems with 20% less education for the students?
I got a feeling that the number of hours per year will be the same or close. So, instead of 5 X 6 or something it will be 4 X 7.5 or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:23 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,289,856 times
First, let me make clear that I do not think shortening the school year/day in any way will be a good thing. The areas that I am aware of using "Furlough Friday's" are shortening the school week and not lengthening the school day. I am aware that there are 2 middle schools in H'ville that are working through the process of designing a longer school day next year. Whether we like it or not, public school is free public daycare and parents depend on schools to provide not only an education, but daycare. And for many parents the added financial burden of paying someone to care for their child on a furlough day would be huge. As teachers we are already under the gun to teach 10 months of material in 6 months to complete the curriculum before testing begins. As a teacher I can't imagine having any less time than is currently allocated to prepare my students to rise to the next level. I fully agree that less educational time is unacceptable, but it is not the voice of the teacher that will make a difference in this issue ... its the voice of the voters and parents are voters.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Whether we like it or not, public school is free public daycare
If taxes aren't counted I guess it is free. With that, then jail is free lodging and meals.

Also, education is compulsory - the government forces you to send your kids to schools (or provide equivalent education).

Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,790,700 times
A lot of people with kids in public school do not pay taxes, Charles, and get free lunches for their kids as well.

Quote:
if schools went to a four-day week, there's a fair number of people who would have to reduce their hours or quit working in order to be home with their children. The economy being like it is right now, that wouldn't be a good thing for a lot of people.
We have summer vacation, spring break, fall break, winter break, and random holidays that most people don't get off work. People are on their own for children under age 5. We have parents that are in various professions that have to work weekends, and they all find a way to make it work in these circumstances, so while I don't think it's wise from an educational perspective, I don't see why having Fridays off should amount to a childcare crisis. It is no more than a perception issue: people perceive that they are entitled to free childcare on the days they are used to because they are used to it. They accept that they are NOT entitled to free childcare on spring break, summer break, fall break, weekends, random holidays, and for children under age 5 because they are used to it.

Quote:
I am aware that there are 2 middle schools in H'ville that are working through the process of designing a longer school day next year.
Yup, as part of experimenting with Obama's proposal that American schools extend the school day and the school year. Also the idea that the education system provide free preschool for everyone is also being tossed around. One of my concerns about that, is soon people will feel entitled to childcare not from the hours of 8-2:30, but from 8-5, and not from September to June, but from August to June (or whatever), and not from ages 5-18, but from ages 3-18.

That trend does worry me. If that is the direction we end up going (and I'm aware, not likely with the present economic condition, but eventually?) will parents even further divorce themselves from the idea that THEY are the primary educators of their children?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
A lot of people with kids in public school do not pay taxes, Charles, and get free lunches for their kids as well.
Just about everybody who has kids in government schools pays taxes, including those who rent and pay the landlord's property taxes as part of their rent. There are some folks perhaps who pay no rent, (public housing? no sure how that works), but that is a pretty small percentage I would think. In fact, there are probably a lot more people (retired, childless, kids in private school, home school) who don't have kids in government schools and pay taxes than there are people who pay no education taxes and have kids in government schools.

Anyway, I am currently a huge net consumer of government services with three kids in government schools at 3 kids X $9252/kid = $27756 per year, which is a lot more than I pay in taxes. A big Thank You to all those with no kids in government schools who are paying taxes to subsidize my kids' educations. XOXOXOXOX

Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 AM

165 posts, read 507,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A big Thank You to all those with no kids in government schools who are paying taxes to subsidize my kids' educations. XOXOXOXOX
You're welcome.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:28 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times
Yes!!! You are wwlcome Charles!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area