Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 PM

77 posts, read 134,995 times

Advertisements

So it sounds like you can do the license only at the one location, but the tags you can get anywhere? Do you have to have your license to get your tags?

Also, has anyone used the License office they list on Restone? Looks like it is only open on Wednesdays, but maybe it is faster? Sounds pretty ridiculous to only have one place for all of Huntsville to get their drivers licenses renewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 12:29 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead80 View Post
So it sounds like you can do the license only at the one location, but the tags you can get anywhere? Do you have to have your license to get your tags?

Also, has anyone used the License office they list on Restone? Looks like it is only open on Wednesdays, but maybe it is faster? Sounds pretty ridiculous to only have one place for all of Huntsville to get their drivers licenses renewed.
Just the opposite. Tags must be done in your county of residence. License can be at any location.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,456 times
Based on my understanding, there are only 2 drivers license testing locations but there are satellite offices that can issue drivers licenses. The link I provide tells the madison county satellite offices and what they can do.

License Department - Locations

I am sure some one will chime in if I am wrong about the satellite offices being able to issue drivers licenses.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead80 View Post

You have that reversed...you can only get your tags in your county of residence...driver's licenses can be obtained at any state office that does them regardless of whether it is in your county of residence.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:31 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,685 times
I haven't used the site on the Arsenal, so I can't say if it is busy or not. But you need to have access to get on the Arsenal; it isn't open to the general public. And many services on the Arsenal give preference to uniformed military, so wait times can be a little unpredictable.

Last edited by NicoleC; 05-21-2010 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: bmrisko and stewdog1 beat me to the state/county thing

Old 05-21-2010, 12:41 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
The satellite offices will only renew your driver's license, they won't issue a new one even if you do not require the driver test. In Madison County, the only place to do that is the office on Church.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
The satellite offices will only renew your driver's license, they won't issue a new one even if you do not require the driver test. In Madison County, the only place to do that is the office on Church.

That was correct 6 yrs ago too, and reading the post back and forth, I wanted to say that about Church St. (LCT is right). I didn't take the driving test either, I just did an eye test on the spot (machine), paid $23 IIRC, pic taken and went on my way with a temporary card. I got the plastic in the mail later. I "transferred" my license from another state. Same for non-driving ID (photo id). It's done at the same location on Church ($5 IIRC).

For renewal/change of name, I use the Courthouse office. Never a line wrapping around the block. Maybe 10 people tops.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 AM

49 posts, read 115,095 times
Going to the satellite office on the Arsenal is much quicker then waiting in line at say...Parkway place. I was able to renew my tag last year there. There was only one person in line in front of me. It's open Tues - Thurs 8:30 - 4:30 more info...

Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 PM

268 posts, read 634,350 times
The tag/license place on Redstone is rarely busy. You can register an out-of-state vehicle there, but you cannot transfer an out-of-state license.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 AM

168 posts, read 311,135 times
Came in to chime about the DMV. Yeah good luck! HA!

When we moved here, I had to transfer my license over along with the titles for 2 vehicles. IN ALL SERIOUSNESS...... it took more work and more time to do this than it did for me to BUY MY HOUSE here. I really wish I was joking.

However, coming from Missouri... the Alabama DMV is actually an improvement if you can believe that! I can't wait until these people control America's healthcare.... nothing like waiting for 3 days for an ER visit.

Someone mentioned appointments in Cali for the DMV..... WHY DON'T THEY DO THAT EVERYWHERE? Seriously... do DMV's across the country get a big kick out of wasting everyone's time and pissing people off? I don't get it. Grrr.

Regarding having to physically show up everywhere.... welcome to Alabama..... the 20th century is right around the corner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area