Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:33 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The hurricane Andrew was frightening, but after the storm I found more friends than I have in any other year. It seems like the destruction brings people together, and helps show the folly of materialism. The next hurricane will be worse, given the insurance situation. but I can always see the positive side of a hurricane's destruction.
This is true, after Wilma I believe we met a few more neighbors down the block that we had never met. And after Anddrew the redneck neighbors that hated us because we were city folk taking over the area supposibly, became much nicer neighbors after Andrew, so there is a bright side to storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 10:07 AM

8 posts, read 19,699 times
I also like hurricanes, they are invigorating which is something I look forward to as a break from the SOS. I live in a mobile home, so have had to evacuate a number of times and that is a break in routine also.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:06 PM

151 posts, read 599,453 times
I certainly enjoy the time off of work but they really are boring leading up to the actual blow. The 2004 hurricanes we didn't get any damage but it was very scary at one point. Losing power is the worst! It's stifiling hot and humid and just downright miserable!

Old 09-02-2007, 09:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
While this year will not bring the "big one" any tropical storm or mild hurricane can be scary. As you know, the trend has been that storms strenghten a lot faster than forecasters can predict. One of these days Miami will be in the sights of a Category 5 hurricane, just like the two we have seen pass south of us. I remember how it was Saturday and Sunday August 1992.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 PM

326 posts, read 470,843 times
although I have never been in a hurricane before, i always pipe dream about chasing them, especially since after all, i like riding out severe thunderstorms/big winds under my backyard dining canopy.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:05 AM

15 posts, read 53,385 times
I love being in the eye of the hurricane! The feeling of total calm that surrounds you can't be felt anywhere else that I know of. Of course I've never been scuba diving, maybe that would feel the same.

Is that void feeling from the lack of air pressure within the eye of the hurricane?
After all the hustle and bustle of preparing for the hurricane's arrival and hearing the winds for hours, you finally get the eye of the storm.
Everyone goes outside to see what has happened thus far. You hang around with the neighbors assessing what the damages from Round 1 are. Share some beverages and clean up what is blocking the drainage pipes. Then it is back inside for Round 2.... the other side of the storm.

Yep... being in a hurricane has some really cool elements to it. Thank goodness FEMA helps subsidize some of the financial aspects of living thru these storms.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:40 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Default No more eyes

Quote:
edugator said: I love being in the eye of the hurricane!
I had 3 pass over my house in 13 months... 2 were within 2 weeks of each other (Jean & Francis). Wilma was supposed to be the mildest... and I recorded 117 at my house.

I'm considered a "first responder" so Hurricanes hold a different meaning for me. It used to be an adrenaline rush... now it's a headache.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:22 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Today is technically the peak of hurricane season (yawn).

I expect a refund of insurance premiums after 2 calm seasons. ;-)

Old 09-10-2007, 04:37 PM
kcm

68 posts, read 249,135 times
Do all of you guys like to go to the Dentist too ?
I was in the 2004 group and I didn't think it was so much fun, but I made the most of it... I can think of a lot of other things I would rather be doing. And it was a lot of work just cleaning up afterwards...and we didn't even have a lot of damage.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Going to the dentist doesn't bother me at all. I don't think anyone likes the clean up part (after a storm, not the dentist), but you have to admit, it is pretty fascinating to watch the storms on TV, and all the goofy things the storm chasers do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes