Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
although I have never been in a hurricane before, i always pipe dream about chasing them, especially since after all, i like riding out severe thunderstorms/big winds under my backyard dining canopy.
I went through hurricane Hugo back in 1989 in Charleston, SC. Let me tell you, the whistling of the wind and cracking of tree's is something I will never forget. I wish it would have hit in the daylight so that I could have seen it. The fear of the unknown is something I don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 11:01 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
I live on relatively high ground away from the coast, so I do appreciate "hurricane days" off of work every once in a while.

Stock up on beer, fire up the grill....

Old 09-13-2007, 04:00 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,462 times
Show me someone who likes hurricanes, and I'll show you someone who cuts a monthly rent check, or lives in Nebraska.

I too used to enjoy them- there definitely is an excitement and buzz whenever they come near, but once I grew up and started to own assets that might be affected by them, they became a whole 'nother story.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:38 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Post This is true...

I'm far away from any hurricane, but since the summer of 2005 I have developed a fascination for watching the 'cane. Of course, this is from the safety of several thousand miles away, but there is a terrible, brilliant and awesome beauty of a mature and strengthening hurricane. I am referring to seeing the visual satelite image. I stayed up all night to watch Katrina's strengthening and landfall. Could not tear myself away from the weather page on my computer...

To me it is amazing that what occurs is a natural force of nature which God has allowed. And who can understand this, rationally? I can't. Still, I'm fascinated.

If I were living in those areas, it would be a whole different thing, filled with fear and loathing, I am certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Show me someone who likes hurricanes, and I'll show you someone who cuts a monthly rent check, or lives in Nebraska....

Old 09-17-2007, 02:01 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,175 times
I'd just like to know, how much of florida evacuates when a big hurricane is forcasted? Do the freeways get badly conjested? is it a big panic to get up and go? Where do the evacuators go?

Although i share some of the thrill seekers mentality, does'nt it frighten you that your roof could be scooped up and you along with it, or is that too harsher word to describe?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
I'd just like to know, how much of florida evacuates when a big hurricane is forcasted? Do the freeways get badly conjested? is it a big panic to get up and go? Where do the evacuators go?

Although i share some of the thrill seekers mentality, does'nt it frighten you that your roof could be scooped up and you along with it, or is that too harsher word to describe?

Right on....I-95 becomes a parking lot if the Miami/Lauderdale area is a target & I-75 is the West Coast's answer to parking. When you have to make major decisions about what you're taking versus what you're leaving behind, it is heartbreaking. Hotels/motels become overbooked/packed/croweded & noisy if you're even lucky enough to have a room, you can end up stuck in the car. And, many have evacuated only to find the hurricane follwed them and went off path.

After what happend in New Orleans, watching people getting airlifted off the tops of their houses, I do not consider it to be anything less than terrifying.

Yes, I've lived on the West Coast for years, they've been saying we're due for a hit..yada yada....

I guess the only thing we've decided to evacuate with are a few family/baby pictures & water, tuna & peanut butter. Everything else can be replaced.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
Ladywithafan: "I guess the only thing we've decided to evacuate with are a few family/baby pictures & water, tuna & peanut butter. Everything else can be replaced."

As someone from the NOLA area, I implore you to rethink your evacuation stratagy! We left with 3 changes of clothes, a swimsuit, one pair of flip-flops, one pair of tennis shoes, and the family pictures. We were not allowed to return for a month, and there was nothing to salvage when we did. You can't imagine how long it took for us to get another wardrobe going. It took me a year before I could actually tell someone that the outfit I was wearing didn't have a donated item in it. And believe me psychologically speaking, it does feel good to be able to wear your own clothes and shoes.

Insurance papers, birth certificates, social security cards, credit card papers, all sealed in zip-loc baggies (a joke) were distroyed and/or looted. I will take you months to replace these things and weeks to months on the phone trying to contact people and settle your affairs. My mother's identity was stolen via looters and I've had to lock up her credit as a result.

Family mementos were mostly distroyed, my GreatGrandmother's 150 year old jardaniers(sp) broken, my father's WWII medals ruined, his prized war memorabilia mostly ruined, my Grandmother's McCoy pottery collection looted, My Grandfather's antique tools ruined, I could go on but it would be tiresome.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm just trying to let you know that there is possibly more that you want to take along than just family pictures. I also can't stress enough that you should bring your phone book with you. Frankly, practically all of us here now have a number of plastic storage totes for evacuation purposes. We are ready to take what we have salvaged from K, paperwork, momentos, pictures, clothing, and snacks when we leave. Also clean the food out of your fridge or you will be sorry. All that stuff about canned food, batteries, etc. is fine if you are going to stay, but when you evacuate assume you will come back to nothing and pack like it; then you won't be sorry later on.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:53 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Ladywithafan: "I guess the only thing we've decided to evacuate with are a few family/baby pictures & water, tuna & peanut butter. Everything else can be replaced."

As someone from the NOLA area, I implore you to rethink your evacuation stratagy! We left with 3 changes of clothes, a swimsuit, one pair of flip-flops, one pair of tennis shoes, and the family pictures. We were not allowed to return for a month, and there was nothing to salvage when we did. You can't imagine how long it took for us to get another wardrobe going. It took me a year before I could actually tell someone that the outfit I was wearing didn't have a donated item in it. And believe me psychologically speaking, it does feel good to be able to wear your own clothes and shoes.

Insurance papers, birth certificates, social security cards, credit card papers, all sealed in zip-loc baggies (a joke) were distroyed and/or looted. I will take you months to replace these things and weeks to months on the phone trying to contact people and settle your affairs. My mother's identity was stolen via looters and I've had to lock up her credit as a result.

Family mementos were mostly distroyed, my GreatGrandmother's 150 year old jardaniers(sp) broken, my father's WWII medals ruined, his prized war memorabilia mostly ruined, my Grandmother's McCoy pottery collection looted, My Grandfather's antique tools ruined, I could go on but it would be tiresome.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm just trying to let you know that there is possibly more that you want to take along than just family pictures. I also can't stress enough that you should bring your phone book with you. Frankly, practically all of us here now have a number of plastic storage totes for evacuation purposes. We are ready to take what we have salvaged from K, paperwork, momentos, pictures, clothing, and snacks when we leave. Also clean the food out of your fridge or you will be sorry. All that stuff about canned food, batteries, etc. is fine if you are going to stay, but when you evacuate assume you will come back to nothing and pack like it; then you won't be sorry later on.
Great post...I will have my cell phone & address book...I can't worry about the mementos...I don't keep a lot of mementos just for the reason of where we live & it's just a "thing". After going through divorce & then some...the most important things are family & friends...yeah, I'll bring a change of clothes but if my closet blows away...I don't care...that's all replaceable...being that I live right next to Sarasota Bay, should a big one come into SRQ, I don't expect anything to be remaining of where I live. Why would it? I already have my few pictures, birth certificate & SS card ready if necessary. Anything to do with insurance/banking is on line & can be accessed later on...I don't have much so I don't have much to lose. But a few family pictures & my children's baby pictures, those I can't replace. I've seen in the rain by the bay here how fast the water rises in certain areas of town & we drove through water almost up to the rear view mirror (of a 4Runner) where the land is low. A 15-25 foot surge would not be unlikely where I am and I will evacuate or else keep a kayak chained up to the 2nd story...

Old 09-23-2007, 08:18 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
Thanks Ladywithafan; I'm with ya on the, "it's just things," but the advice on the clothing was more about being practical than saving your stuff. After Katrina there were about a million people all stuck with 3 sets of basically vacation type clothing trying to get school uniforms for their children, something to wear for a new job interview, and trying to get a reasonably priced overcoat for fall (which was just around the corner). We waited in lines for hours at Wal-Mart etc. buying up the last pack of socks while others had to wait for another day or two till the next delivery truck could arrive. The next time around you can bet I'm not going to be standing in those lines again, ugh.

As for the momento's, I have learned my lesson, what's left of the family antiques has gone either with my Mom north of the lake or up to VA with my sisters. It's not worth worrying over my Great Grandma's 150 year old jardinier; someone else in the family can have it. As for the rest of the stuff (ha ha what stuff) it's just lagniappe, I have a tent, air mattress and generator and will use them again as needed.

You have the right attitude about the stuff; there is something about having nothing that is really liberating, although after a while I did begin to miss my nail clippers.

Best wishes and hoping ya'll continue to have a quiet year over there.

Last edited by Drouzin; 09-23-2007 at 08:26 PM..

Old 10-10-2007, 06:13 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,807 times
I used to like hurricanes a lot and when the weather people predicted Key West would get hit by a hurricane I would get really exicted and happy. I was glad that the 2004 and 05 seasons were active and that we were getting hurricanes. But after Hurricane Wilma hit 2 yrs ago, and flooded everyone's houses and insurance started skyrocketing, I said no more. I don't want anymore hurricanes, not even tropical storms and depressions. We had no power for 4 days and it was miserable! I DO NOT WANT ANYMORE HURRICANES AT ALL OR EVER AGAIN!! I'm glad we haven't had anymore hurricanes anymore and we have had no threats by any storms. My 5 grandkids had to make, I believe 5 or 7 days of school. They were exicited about the storms but after having had made those days and going thru the storms they and their friends do not want any more hurricanes at all. If we get another storm heading, I'll immediatly start packing right away and evacuate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes