Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times

Advertisements

Wondering if the folks who have lived here years past could post some good things to have in storage for hurricane season. We are renting in a condo w/ impact glass, so I know that part is taken care. Other than that, any suggestions of good things to have on hand would be appreciated. [and we are not staying here...I refuse...even if it is a Cat 1 ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 01:52 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Lightbulb Hurricane Checklist

Hurricane Kit

* Flashlights and extra bulbs
* Battery-operated radio
* Fully charged battery-operated lanterns. Don't get candles and kerosene lanterns. They are fire hazards.
* Extra batteries
* Matches
* Clock (wind-up or battery-operated)
* Plastic garbage bags
* Working fire extinguishers
* Scissors
* Clean change of clothes, rain gear, sturdy swamp boots
* An inexpensive rabbit-ears television antenna to use if cable goes out

House Checklist

* Gather supplies early
* Store loose outdoor items
* Anchor small sheds
* Trim dead branches from trees and shrubs
* Put chorine in pool - protect filter motor
* Tape or board up windows
* Fill gas tank of cars - park in safe place
* Remove valuables (furniture and rugs) from the floor
* Move furniture away from window - cover with plastic
* Put important documents in waterproof container
* Get extra cash (ATMs may lose power)
* Keep tuned to Bay News 9 for the latest information

Food and Water

* Bottled water. Figure on a gallon of drinking water per person per day.
* Shelf-package juice and milk boxes
* Canned and powdered milk
* Beverages (powdered or canned, fruit juices, instant coffee, tea)
* Prepared foods (canned soups, beef, spaghetti, tuna, chicken, ham, corned beef hash, fruit cocktail, packaged pudding)
* Canned vegetables and fruits
* Dried fruits
* Snacks (crackers, cookies, hard candy, nuts)
* Snack spreads (peanut butter, cheese spreads, jelly)
* Cereals
* Raw vegetables
* Sugar, salt, pepper
* Bread
* Dry and canned pet food
* Right now, buy all the nonperishable foods you will need, put them in a box and leave them alone, except to rotate stock. Stock up on ice and pack coolers as early as possible. Freezing them ahead of time is less hassle than fighting for them at a store.
* Before the storm, turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting and drape blankets over them, but keep bottom vents clear. Then move perishables you'll use first into ice chests to limit opening of refrigerators.
* Designate one cooler you will open regularly; fill that with drinks and less perishable items. Set aside other coolers for more perishable things such as meats and open them only rarely.
* Crank up your ice maker, break out the ice cube trays or fill jugs with water, so you can be making and storing ice in your freezer or coolers around the clock.
* Store cubes or small blocks of ice in sealed bags and containers so you can drink it after it melts.
* Clean your bathtub out, then wash it with bleach. Rinse thoroughly. If possible, line it with plastic. Then fill it and as many clean bottles as you can with drinking water. Fill your toilet tank; you'll want it to flush after the storm.

Hardware

* Hand tools - hammer, screwdrivers to use now, shovel and *****x for after the storm
* Power screwdriver
* 4x8-foot sheets of plywood 5/8-inch to 1/2-inch thick to put over windows. Ask for exterior plywood.
* 1/4 machine screw sockets and screws
* Plastic sheeting to cover furniture
* Rope
* Sturdy working gloves
* Duct tape to waterproof items; masking tape isn't strong enough.
* Canvas tarps
* Nails. There are many kinds, so look over your home now and determine what you will need.

Medical Needs

* Medic-alert tags
* Insect-repellent sprays and candles
* Feminine hygiene items
* Sunscreen
* Soap
* First-aid kit and first-aid handbook
* A supply of any prescription drugs
* Extra over-the-counter medicine (for colds, allergies, cough)
* Children's medicines
* Aspirin
* Bandages
* Adhesive tape
* Cotton-tipped swabs
* Antiseptic solution
* Sterile rolls, bandages
* Ear drops
* Thermometer
* Tweezers
* Needles
* Disinfectant

Baby Needs

* Disposable diapers, wipes
* Formula, baby food
* Diaper rash ointment, petroleum jelly
* Baby medicines (pain, cold, cough)
* Medicine dropper

Emergency Toilet

* Small can with tight lid
* Plastic bags for liners
* Disinfectant or bleach
* Deodorizer

Kitchen Supplies

* Plastic to line bathtub to fill with water
* Jugs or containers to store water
* Water purification tablets (usually available only in drug stores), 2 percent tincture of iodine or ordinary household bleach, which contains hypochlorite as its only active ingredient - not bleach with soap, lemon or other additives.
* Manual can opener
* Bottle opener
* Matches
* Pocketknife - preferably Swiss Army style
* Camp stove or other cooking device and plenty of fuel. Use canned fuel, not charcoal or gas
* Disposable dishes
* Ice chests or coolers
* Paper plates, napkins, cutlery, cups

Old 05-04-2007, 01:54 PM

If you have pets is good to find a hotel that take pets (dogs/cats). Get all the information just in case of an evacuation. For us is Columbus Georgia....

Old 05-04-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Hurricane Hunter Tours

The federal government's Hurricane Awareness tour makes a stop in Daytona Beach Friday and while there, you will be able to tour a hurricane hunter airplane.

The National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration is bringing the hurricane hunter to the Daytona Beach International Airport.

State emergency leaders are joining Bill Proenza, the new director of the National Hurricane Center, for the event.

The plane flies directly into hurricanes to determine the strength and speed of the storm.

Students get to tour the plane from 10 to 2

http://www.hurricanehunters.com/mitchcb.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-04-2007, 02:19 PM

279 posts, read 472,356 times
walmart has a little stove for 7 dollars, actually it is a metal box that you stick sterno under. i tested it and it works great. I also fill all my empty 2 liter soda bottles with water.

thanks for the great list

Old 05-04-2007, 02:32 PM

54 posts, read 317,609 times
Propane if you have bbq or portable cooker.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:32 PM

458 posts, read 599,138 times
I don't think I understand your post. If you are not staying, even if is a Cat 1....then why would you need a lot of supplies?

You will have at least a week of warning that you are in the cone of probability. And if it gets a few days out and still looks like it is coming your way, you sound like you would leave anyway.

So perhaps the better question is what should you take with you when you evacuate.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Don't forget your party supplies for the hurricane party! If I am still around after a powerful storm I will start the generator and have the hurricane party the night after the storm. Got to keep that positive attitude!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 08:45 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Don't forget your party supplies for the hurricane party! If I am still around after a powerful storm I will start the generator and have the hurricane party the night after the storm. Got to keep that positive attitude!!!
Now this is the right attitude!

My dad used to be an airline pilot, and he would fly the planes out of miami during a hurricane to atlanta. They didn't want the fleet on the ground in a storm. So he would be in atlanta having a hurricane party, and my mom would be home with us just jealous of all that partying going on, because mopping up was no party!

He always put up the boards and the shutters and sandbags before he went....

Old 05-04-2007, 09:04 PM

155 posts, read 473,900 times
Honestly a cat. 1 hurricane is no different than a really bad thunderstorm. You'll find that most people say cat. 3 is when they will start to evacuate. I have been more scared in some of those midwestern thunderstorms than I have ever been in a cat. 1 hurricane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes