Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 06:14 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times

Advertisements

Should we keep our resources here or should they support the war?

The war has depleted the equipment inventory of the Florida National Guard, potentially hampering response to a predicted heavy hurricane season. The National Guard has only 53 percent of the dual-use equipment it once had for responding to a storm or domestic disturbance. Florida has 600 to 700 soldiers in Iraq. Members were sent overseas with equipment, but when they return, the gear often stays in the war zones. The Florida Guard was down 500 Humvees and 600 trucks, short 4,000 pairs of night-vision goggles and needed 30 more wreckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 07:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I have been trying to find out why a domestic hurricane relief organization doesn't exist. Sort of like the old Civil Defense, where residents can get training and cach some supplies, and help coordinate relief. Oh wait, I forgot, this is Florida!

Old 04-10-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have been trying to find out why a domestic hurricane relief organization doesn't exist. Sort of like the old Civil Defense, where residents can get training and cach some supplies, and help coordinate relief. Oh wait, I forgot, this is Florida!
That was the purpose of the Civil Defense, but I don't think that they are in the city/town emergency plan anymore..... The FEMA process is all over this one now.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:48 PM

The Florida County Emergency Management takes over all disasters:

http://www.floridadisaster.org/fl_county_em.asp

Evacuations routes; http://floridadisaster.org/PublicMapping/index.htm

Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Anyone who lives in FL who doesn't have a basic plan for hurricanes is living in a dream world. National Guard? FEMA? I'd rather the National Guard do what they did after Andrew in keeping the streets safe from looters and gangs, and FEMA took a hike. Tha National Guard doesn't need Humvees and 6000 night-vision goggles to do that job.

After Wilma, we were without grid power for days, but our refrigerator never went off because I had planned ten years earlier for an event like that.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Anyone who lives in FL who doesn't have a basic plan for hurricanes is living in a dream world. National Guard? FEMA? I'd rather the National Guard do what they did after Andrew in keeping the streets safe from looters and gangs, and FEMA took a hike. Tha National Guard doesn't need Humvees and 6000 night-vision goggles to do that job.

After Wilma, we were without grid power for days, but our refrigerator never went off because I had planned ten years earlier for an event like that.
You are correct, planning for a hurricane is a must so you can sustain the lost of basic services and survive the outcome. But back to the question should they be here or overseas?

The Army just extended the tour of duty to 15 months and the individual will be back to the AOR after 12 months from the return day… .

Old 04-11-2007, 03:36 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Any opinion I give on whether or not the guard should be overseas would be based on personal opinion more than a knowledge of the logistics involved. Kinda like asking your plumber if your pants fit right.

FWIW, a nephew is over there, but he is a West Point grad. Good man.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Any opinion I give on whether or not the guard should be overseas would be based on personal opinion more than a knowledge of the logistics involved. Kinda like asking your plumber if your pants fit right.

FWIW, a nephew is over there, but he is a West Point grad. Good man.
Is he active duty, or National Guard or Reserve? I retired after 22 years of service and understand your views. Our prayers are with all the service members deployed around the world.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Wasn't that a big problem with Katrina? Too many service personnel overseas?

I agree that the National Guard did a great job after Charley.

And the Coast Guard was phenomenal during Katrina. They always are.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wasn't that a big problem with Katrina? Too many service personnel overseas?

I agree that the National Guard did a great job after Charley.

And the Coast Guard was phenomenal during Katrina. They always are.
The Coast Guard is the top dog on national issues related to search/rescue and inmigration. Many times they are the silence heros in the community, loads of kudos from the ones that have benefited from their risk taken rescues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes