Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:37 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times

Advertisements

I have a 2008 Hyundai Elantra with 135,000 miles on it. One time after driving between 70-75 mph on the highway i came to a complete stop at the toll booth and the car died...or basically stalled. It started right up again, but now i notice after driving at high speeds, upon coming to a complete stop after exiting a highway, the car feels like it is about to stall..it has only completely stalled that one time i mentioned.

Anyone can tell me what may be the problem ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
It should be throwing some codes - and you should have a CEL on.

If nothing else, head to your local auto parts store, connect their code reader, and let us know what you find. That'd be a starting point.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
A common cause I've seen many times in the past that wont throw a code is low transmission fluid. I've seen some cars be as sensitive as 1/2 quart low and start having stalling problems.

Have you had any recent work done to the car, within the last 6 months?

Any other weird issues, even if the issue happened once and didnt seem like a big deal?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 AM

406 posts, read 500,800 times
I had a 1996 Toyota Camry that did the EXACT same thing, I could drive around town all day keeping my RPMs low at acceleration and staying under 45 mph. As soon as I'd either a) accelerate hard or b) get on the highway and then slow down to exit, I'd get a putter and then finally a stall, though I mastered the art of decelerating with left foot on the brake, throw it in neutral and hold the gas pedal enough to keep a rough idle. Generally, once I came to a stop, I'd have to turn it off and wait a few minutes then start it up again with the gas pedal floored and it'd be fine.

I went to my mechanic who said the trouble was most likely something to do with the EGR system. That being said, it could also be the idle air control valve, or possibly even faulty spark plugs/distributor/cap etc. I'd go with having the EGR system checked. I ended up selling the car to someone on Craigslist with full disclosure, and bought another heap. Hope that helps.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM

The one time it actually stalled a light came on that said "EPS"....other then that 1 time my dashboard hasnt given me anything

Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
EPS is the electronic power steering for Hyundai. Did that come on just before the stall? One it stalls, you should get a lot of dash lights because the key is in the "run" position while the motor is not running.

I dont know Hyundai's that well and the EPS but EPS really couldnt cause a stall, but the light can come because of a stall.

You could have the local autoparts store do a basic scan for free to look for any stored codes. The dealer or other shop with the right scan equipment can do a deeper scan and get other codes that basic scantool wont get, but that would most likely result in a charge.

EGR's can cause stalls but on an 08, you would almost certainly received a check engine light by now.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM

No check engine light...as i said earlier..i came to a complete stop at the toll booth after driving about 70mph on the highway...the car stalled , then the eps light came on.. i put the car in park and restarted the ignition....car started no problem....

Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
I would guess and say it could be your transmission not shifting with speed changes, so when you stop its still locked in gear and stalls.

another option could be vacuum related, broken vacuum line. Maybe Throttle Position Sensor, Mass Airflow......

If there is NO check engine light illuminated, there wont be any trouble codes. you need to wait for it to light up, which could take a few days to pop up

Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 22,206 times
Just wondering if you ever figured the problem out, because I am having a very similar issue with my 08 Elantra with 126,000 miles...

Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
2008 Hyundai Elantra - Car Forums - Edmunds

US government opens investigation into '07-08 Hyundai Elantra after reports of engine stalling

The Associated Press
Monday, July 21, 2008

WASHINGTON: The government is investigating 2007-2008 model year Hyundai Elantra compact cars after receiving reports of engine stalling, officials said Monday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a posting on its Web site that its preliminary investigation involves about 167,000 Elantras. NHTSA said it has received four reports of engine stalling because of problems with the vehicle's fuel pump module.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia