Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,018,155 times

Advertisements

I have read that the two companies, Kia and Hyundai were planning on turning into a Lexus/Toyota type partnership, where Hyundai would be the higher-end line up and Kia would be the lower end. That seems to be the customer's expectations already, that Kia's are cheaper. So this would make sense.

But, that's why this K900 is such an enigma, if that were the direction that Hyundai/Kia were planning, to make Hyundai the Flagship brand, then why launch the K900 under Kia? It makes no sense to me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,787,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Bingo. Both Kia and Hyundai have really screwed up by offering luxury cars under their own nameplate. They did things the cheap way, rather than create a premium brand. If you buy a $60-70k BMW or Mercedes, if it needs service, you take it in and get the red carpet treatment.

If you have a K900 or Hyundai Equus, when you go in for service you're sitting next to some kid in the waiting room who brought in their Kia Rio/Soul or Hyundai Accent and is loudly listening to music on their iPhone while texting/talking non stop.

They needed to follow Toyota's example, and create a premium brand if they plan on playing in a premium market.
That's not true at the Hyundai dealership I use. Genesis and Equus owners have their own waiting room with leather reclining chairs and individual TV's with headphones (I've never seen it but have been told about it).

Since I'm a Sonata owner I have to sit out in the main waiting area with the "regular folk" and share a TV.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,510,901 times
Keep up people.

The complimentary scheduled maintenance program is available to customers who either purchase or lease a new 2015 K900 and complete the maintenance work for their vehicle at participating Kia retailers. As an added benefit, K900 customers may enjoy the use of a Cadenza or K900 loan vehicle during their service visit

If you decide to become an Equus owner, you will enjoy Hyundai's*"At Your Service"*valet program where your Equus is picked up for service when you require it or you can have it scheduled regularly.

Equus Concierge Service Napleton's Valley Hyundai | New Hyundai dealership in Aurora, IL 60504

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That's not true at the Hyundai dealership I use. Genesis and Equus owners have their own waiting room with leather reclining chairs and individual TV's with headphones (I've never seen it but have been told about it).

Since I'm a Sonata owner I have to sit out in the main waiting area with the "regular folk" and share a TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
That would be your own fault for not slapping the kid in the back of the head for doing that in your home or office etc. Seeing that you dont have to go anywhere with Equus' service they pick your car up for you and give you a loaner until they return it.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:01 PM

So it seems that Hyundai/Kia is truly trying to break into the luxury market. It's going to be difficult to do considering the head start that every other car maker has on them, but if 15 years ago, you would have told me that Kia would be a leading car manufacturer, I would have laughed in your face, look at them today, gobbling up market share at a rapid pace...

Old 04-05-2014, 12:13 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,174,636 times
I think they planned the Equus servicing perfectly. They come to your house and pick it up while leaving you a loaner vehicle in return. That is amazing with regard to service.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,051,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I think in order to be successful they needed to do what Toyota, Nissan and Honda did. Create a new brand luxury label like, Lexus, Infiniti and Acura.
Exactly if you remember what those two where like when introduced in US market; which is very different. Kind of like asking why big 3 have continued to introduced small compacts.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Exactly if you remember what those two where like when introduced in US market; which is very different. Kind of like asking why big 3 have continued to introduced small compacts.
So you wouldn't see Hyundai as a luxury brand if that's the way they chose to do it? Separating Kia and Hyundai? Hyundai being the "luxury" models?

I agree with you, they need to come up with an exclusive name, one without any baggage, and introduce a luxury brand with combination of the two R&D teams at Kia/Hyundai. This would make much more sense than trying to put lipstick on a Kia and calling it luxury.

Not putting Kia down, they have a wonderful product, the K900 is a badass vehicle, but it just doesn't fit their company. If Lexus released the K900 they would probably have huge success with this vehicle.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 19,000,786 times
My neighbor has a 2014 CTS-V Caddy and my wife's boss drives a 700 series BMW. Neither of which I would want. Yeah, they can boogy down the road and handle great. But they are not my idea of a "luxury" car. They have all of the appointments, most I would never use. They have all of the glitter but both lack one major thing- a luxury ride. These over priced crouch rockets ride more like a sports car than a luxury car. If Kia really brought a soft riding car to the game, it MIGHT just hit a home run. Most of the buyers of these cars are not in their 20's. Most are older and if they can afford a "luxury" car, they can also afford a sports car. I'd rather own the Kia K900 with a Vette, Camaro, or Mustang hopped up in the garage than a CTS-V or any of the others including any AMG Mercedes. There is a difference between a sports car ride and yer grand dads old Lincoln or Caddy. Maybe, just maybe, Kia didn't stick its head in the same sand as the others and will have a winner....maybe.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 PM

CTS-V is like a mid-life crisis car for guys who still want to drive like bats-outta-hell is what you're saying? It does seem that in the luxury market place, there's a huge emphasis of outdoing the competitors by offering more horse power. Which, why have a car with 600HP if it beats you to death on the ride down to your vacation home in Florida? Good points TrapperL

Old 04-05-2014, 12:43 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,422,132 times
k900 is a bad name for a car

probably should have left it as a number

k900 makes me think dog or movie

---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia