Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:49 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times

Advertisements

I am trying to wrap my head around their thought process. Their 40k Cadenza's didn't do well at all, now it seems they are "doubling down" with the K900. Granted this car has everything you would find in say a 7 series BMW, for $20,000 less, but seriously, who's going to be buying a $65000 Kia? What were they thinking with this product line I wonder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 02:50 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Well, I think they're trying to do one of two things:

#1 Raise the overall value of their brand name so they can start asking more for their lower-end vehicles.

#2 Take a shortcut into the higher-end market without going to the expense of developing and promoting a new nameplate.

If their goal is #1 they might succeed. If it's #2, it's gonna fail miserably. There's a reason why Toyota, Honda and Nissan don't sell $65K sedans under their own brand name.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:04 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
A lot of things car makers do may not seem to make sense if you only look at the U.S. market. But when you look at the global market, you get a very different perspective. Seems to me that an upscale auto at a bargain price presents a value proposition that could be popular in various parts of the world.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:28 AM

708 posts, read 1,059,489 times
I never heard of this car until now. It looks nice, but I think I'd rather have the Optima. I don't know how much they are asking, but $65,000 seems a little to much. Even if I had that kind of money to spend, I'd consider an Acura or Lexus first. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I want the brand name that carries a little more panache than Kia.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:31 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times
I don't get it either. With so many solid choices at that price, who in their right mind would by a Kia?

Old 04-05-2014, 09:29 AM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
I think in order to be successful they needed to do what Toyota, Nissan and Honda did. Create a new brand luxury label like, Lexus, Infiniti and Acura.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:34 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Ok here's my thought, this could be a great "opportunity" to watch a corporation's marketing strategy from it's infant stage! I'm going to follow how they market this car, see if I can catch their plans.

My personal thought is this, like Mont Blanc, who is known for their pens, started selling watches, their launch watch was $750 and no one bought it. So they launched a $1500 watch, and no one bought either because Mont Blanc was known for their pens. So they went and launched a $10,000 watch and now they can't keep the $750 watches in stock. So they had to "show what they could do, raise the customer's expectations of their company" before they could even sell the lower end stuff.

My thoughts are that Kia is launching the K900 in order to sell more Optimas.

It will be interesting to watch this social project take place!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:39 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Well, I think they're trying to do one of two things:

#1 Raise the overall value of their brand name so they can start asking more for their lower-end vehicles.

#2 Take a shortcut into the higher-end market without going to the expense of developing and promoting a new nameplate.

If their goal is #1 they might succeed. If it's #2, it's gonna fail miserably. There's a reason why Toyota, Honda and Nissan don't sell $65K sedans under their own brand name.
Bingo. Both Kia and Hyundai have really screwed up by offering luxury cars under their own nameplate. They did things the cheap way, rather than create a premium brand. If you buy a $60-70k BMW or Mercedes, if it needs service, you take it in and get the red carpet treatment.

If you have a K900 or Hyundai Equus, when you go in for service you're sitting next to some kid in the waiting room who brought in their Kia Rio/Soul or Hyundai Accent and is loudly listening to music on their iPhone while texting/talking non stop.

They needed to follow Toyota's example, and create a premium brand if they plan on playing in a premium market.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
My thoughts are that Kia is launching the K900 in order to sell more Optimas.

It will be interesting to watch this social project take place!
That might be the game. Hyundai has been trying to work their way into the luxury market for ages now. They started with upmarket Sonatas, the Azera, now the Genesis, so why not try the direct route with the sister company? Maybe if the Optima starts to look like the 900 that strategy might help.

Kia still has the "cheap car" stigma. See how well VW did with the Phaeton and VW isn't really considered to be a cheap car here in the US....a luxury car purchase has a large component of snob appeal and there simply isn't any snob appeal with a Kia.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Bingo. Both Kia and Hyundai have really screwed up by offering luxury cars under their own nameplate. They did things the cheap way, rather than create a premium brand. If you buy a $60-70k BMW or Mercedes, if it needs service, you take it in and get the red carpet treatment.

If you have a K900 or Hyundai Equus, when you go in for service you're sitting next to some kid in the waiting room who brought in their Kia Rio/Soul or Hyundai Accent and is loudly listening to music on their iPhone while texting/talking non stop.

That would be your own fault for not slapping the kid in the back of the head for doing that in your home or office etc. Seeing that you dont have to go anywhere with Equus' service they pick your car up for you and give you a loaner until they return it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia