Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:51 PM

7,102 posts, read 6,013,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
k900 is a bad name for a car

probably should have left it as a number

k900 makes me think dog or movie

---
Hehe good point, it's a silly name, especially when the rest of their line up has actual names. Soul, Optima, Sorento, Sportage, Sedona, Rio, Forte'.... K900 doesn't fit...

Again, here I am with my doesn't fit arguement. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 01:02 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,041,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Hehe good point, it's a silly name, especially when the rest of their line up has actual names. Soul, Optima, Sorento, Sportage, Sedona, Rio, Forte'.... K900 doesn't fit...

Again, here I am with my doesn't fit arguement. lol
A while back when Lincoln introduced the "new" MKZ, I felt the name was all wrong, and suggested they re-name it the Lincoln Collinard.
Sounds ritzy enough.
This K900 really looks like it would sell well as the Kia Collinard .

Bob.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:10 PM

Reminds me of collard greens, don't know if I could be reminded of collard greens on my morning commute. I went to a random name generator and it spat out Apolo... has a nice ring to it...

Old 04-05-2014, 01:40 PM

21,938 posts, read 25,303,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Bingo. Both Kia and Hyundai have really screwed up by offering luxury cars under their own nameplate. They did things the cheap way, rather than create a premium brand. If you buy a $60-70k BMW or Mercedes, if it needs service, you take it in and get the red carpet treatment.

If you have a K900 or Hyundai Equus, when you go in for service you're sitting next to some kid in the waiting room who brought in their Kia Rio/Soul or Hyundai Accent and is loudly listening to music on their iPhone while texting/talking non stop.

They needed to follow Toyota's example, and create a premium brand if they plan on playing in a premium market.
LOL @ BMW and dealership satisfaction. Mercedes has gotten pretty good. Lexus always has been from the beginning, although its slipped. Isn't Hyundai still doing the valet service for the Equus?

In general, yeah, they need to improve. Hyundai isn't great for a non-premium brand, but with the Equus or K900. Also, it's not going to get cross-shopped with the 7/A8/S. It MIGHT lure a few buyers from the 5/A6/E segment since it offers a bit more for the same price. Whose really going to buy it, however, is near-luxury buyers looking for something a bit nicer than a Toyota Avalon who don't want to pay the brand tax for a luxury badge. Mostly it's just a halo car, anyway. It's designed to move the brand upscale from its sub-Honda/Toyota roots and sell more Elantra/Sonata/Genesis cars, which all do sell pretty well. My major thing is I still don't get why there's both Kia and Hyundai. I always though of Kia as the more youthful version of Hyundai so I don't really get why specifically a K900 since it isn't that.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,149,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Seeing that you dont have to go anywhere with Equus' service they pick your car up for you and give you a loaner until they return it.
You're right, I had forgotten about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That's not true at the Hyundai dealership I use. Genesis and Equus owners have their own waiting room with leather reclining chairs and individual TV's with headphones (I've never seen it but have been told about it).

Since I'm a Sonata owner I have to sit out in the main waiting area with the "regular folk" and share a TV.
That's not the case with the Hyundai dealership near us, just one waiting room. (I kinda think someone is pulling your leg about this. It would cost a lot of money just to build a separate waiting room just for a handful of clients in every dealership.)

Old 04-05-2014, 01:55 PM

I think treating customers different depending on the price level car they buy would be the equivalent of business suicide.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
LOL @ BMW and dealership satisfaction. Mercedes has gotten pretty good. Lexus always has been from the beginning, although its slipped. Isn't Hyundai still doing the valet service for the Equus?

In general, yeah, they need to improve. Hyundai isn't great for a non-premium brand, but with the Equus or K900. Also, it's not going to get cross-shopped with the 7/A8/S. It MIGHT lure a few buyers from the 5/A6/E segment since it offers a bit more for the same price. Whose really going to buy it, however, is near-luxury buyers looking for something a bit nicer than a Toyota Avalon who don't want to pay the brand tax for a luxury badge. Mostly it's just a halo car, anyway. It's designed to move the brand upscale from its sub-Honda/Toyota roots and sell more Elantra/Sonata/Genesis cars, which all do sell pretty well. My major thing is I still don't get why there's both Kia and Hyundai. I always though of Kia as the more youthful version of Hyundai so I don't really get why specifically a K900 since it isn't that.
By halo, you are referring to what I was mentioning about Monte Blanc and their watches right? It's a showpiece to bring the value of the rest of the brand up?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:47 PM

486 posts, read 833,991 times
What the point of having Hyundai and Kia. It's like have plymouth/dodge or Ford/Mercury. Decades a go there was a difference between these cars now they are almost exactly same.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM

They aren't that's the point. The parent company is Hyundai. Kia has it's own Corporate team, it's own Research and Development. The only thing that they share are platforms, some shared tech, but they go their separate ways when it comes to R&D. That's why their cars look so different. Hyundai supplies Kia with cash as well I believe.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:13 PM

347 posts, read 652,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
k900 is a bad name for a car

probably should have left it as a number

k900 makes me think dog or movie

---
Or maybe a movie about a dog:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia