Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:49 PM

7 posts, read 85,158 times

Advertisements

We would like to move from Gary, In to Idaho Falls, Idaho. We love Yellowstone and all the national parks. Someone told me that it my be hard to fit in because the color of our skin. But really I don't want to move where there are stupid white or black people. We just want a great place to raise our family and good schools for our kids. I know that Idaho Falls is about 98% white, but are they nice whites? I am so tired of all the gangs speeding in the streets with their loud music playing and hearing gunshots. Someone set my neighbors garage on fire a couple of weeks ago and my house caught fire around 3:00 a.m (it was only me and the kids home). Can you imagine someone banging on your door to wake you and when you wake all you see through the window is bright red/orange?

I am a physical therapy assistant and my husband is a truck driver will it be hard to find work? And what about buying a house with a bankruptcy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2006, 03:28 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
I live in the Idaho Falls area and yes it's mostly made up of white folks. There's also the major religion influence which is the Mormon or LDS church which does factor into the "color scheme" if you will. I am not going to go too deep into detail as I am not out to offend anyone with my own thoughts/theories

We are seeing more of a multi-cultural and ethnic blend and yes there are African-Americans here, more so then when we moved here in '91

IF (Idaho Falls) is a far cry from Gary, I've been there before on a truck as my hsuabnd drives truck as well.

As far a being a PT assistant, you bet there should be plenty of room as this is snow country and you have outdoor athletics, when you have that, yes you have injuries needing PT.

There are plenty of driving jobs here be it over the road, regional or local. I would say in the big picture the health insurance is not the best perk that any of the driving companies have, however your overall cost of living is much lower.

Getting a house on bankruptcy? I'm not sure on that, I would contact a lending company. I know my sister went bankrupt and she wound up getting a lower interest rate on a car loan than I did

As far as nice whites, most folks I've run across no matter the skin tone are nice, then again you and I both know every crowd has it's fair share of jerks

Old 06-11-2006, 08:15 AM

Thumbs up Thankyou cleosmom!

Thank you again for your reply! And yes i do know that wherever you go there will be jerks but I just didn't want ant crosses being burn in my yard your my kids coming home crying because someone said bad things ( the N word). It seems like Idaho Falls has nice people, good jobs, things for me and my family to do together or alone, good quite environment to raise a family, and one of the most beautiful places I have seen. This is a WINNER in my book!

Old 06-12-2006, 09:18 PM

47 posts, read 202,728 times
Default Idaho Falls

Hello Moose, If you can put up with the colder winters, you will find that IF (Idaho Falls) is a great town. I lived there a few years ago and still go back since I live in Idaho. People are tolerant, with a few exceptions just like any other town, but most are very accepting of others and easy to work with and get along with. No cross burners there either. Also, if you have kept your credit clean since your bankruptcy, you should have no trouble getting a home loan. Check with a mortgage broker in the area, ex[ect a little higher interest rate (8% or Higher) but you can refinance in a couple of years or so to a lower rate. Enjoy Idaho!!!!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:00 AM

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you for the information. I love snow, I think I'm the only woman that tells her husband to stay inside so that I can shovel the snow!

Last edited by moose3; 06-13-2006 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: forgot to spell check

Old 06-24-2006, 07:40 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,777 times
[quote=moose3] Someone told me that it my be hard to fit in because the color of our skin. QUOTE]
Skin color makes no deference so why even state it. There are only good people and well the other kind stating color is a statement of discrimination period. It is almost like saying we want to be with our own kind! Or like some one telling me I could not know what discrimination was as I was white! Well I thought we were all People just with deferent back grounds. I have and many threw out this country have been discriminated against for many things and in many ways. Fact a lot of the first slaves in the US were white, called indentured servants! Who were never freed as stated as there masters kept them in debt just like back in good old Europe. But to give you some thing to chew on. Yes there are lots of driving jobs with the pay about the same as any were. There are gangs in Idaho and do not let any one tell you deferent. The fallowing is just a small sample that was in the AP look it up to read the whole thing it will give you an idea of how some in Idaho think.

Gang Violence Puts Idaho Town on Edge
Bob Fick, AP, Oct. 28
CALDWELL, Idaho—Gunfire and gang violence are alarming people in this farm town where the usual background noise is the reassuring chug of field machinery.
Since July, police have received more than 100 reports of shots fired in Caldwell, a town of 30,000 halfway between Boise and the Oregon line. Two young men have been killed and several more wounded in drive-by shootings. Police believe most of the violence is gang-related.

Home = depending on what you call affordable could be trouble as Idaho is not that cheap. If your coming from some were like calif or the east coast or some were homes cost over $300,000 then yes it is cheaper. As most run around 185. Fort some size that’s an average
Idaho is also gone from the 18 hungriest states to the 8th in the last year that tells you also how they think and work. they seam more to make them look good on paper and taking care of there working class poor and that class is growing as of last year a growth of almost 33.3% according to the federal government. If you want to go there ask people like my self who lived there (my case ten years) why they left if it is so good. Ask the kids there if there happy with the money they make and if they see them self’s staying there? do a lot of research spend hours as it is easier to not move then it is to have moved and wise you would not have and be stuck as now you do not have the cash to move again right away . remember there is always two sides to the story but I will say this with calif plates on the car we were spat at and had things thrown at us so if you do go make shore you change them the very first day possible . learn from others mistakes do not repeat them if you can and good luck chousing were to go but expect some dislike if your from a state with high housing cost as they tend to label all from there as causing all the problems in Idaho like housing cost but they do not think the low wages and inflation has any thing to do with it that’s why a senator pulled the bill to rays Idaho’s mina mime wage law from 5.15 to 6.15 as he said they do not need it.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:21 PM

[quote=huntman58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose3
Someone told me that it my be hard to fit in because the color of our skin. QUOTE]
Skin color makes no deference so why even state it. There are only good people and well the other kind stating color is a statement of discrimination period. It is almost like saying we want to be with our own kind! Or like some one telling me I could not know what discrimination was as I was white! Well I thought we were all People just with deferent back grounds. I have and many threw out this country have been discriminated against for many things and in many ways. Fact a lot of the first slaves in the US were white, called indentured servants! Who were never freed as stated as there masters kept them in debt just like back in good old Europe. But to give you some thing to chew on. Yes there are lots of driving jobs with the pay about the same as any were. There are gangs in Idaho and do not let any one tell you deferent. The fallowing is just a small sample that was in the AP look it up to read the whole thing it will give you an idea of how some in Idaho think.

Gang Violence Puts Idaho Town on Edge
Bob Fick, AP, Oct. 28
CALDWELL, Idaho—Gunfire and gang violence are alarming people in this farm town where the usual background noise is the reassuring chug of field machinery.
Since July, police have received more than 100 reports of shots fired in Caldwell, a town of 30,000 halfway between Boise and the Oregon line. Two young men have been killed and several more wounded in drive-by shootings. Police believe most of the violence is gang-related.

Home = depending on what you call affordable could be trouble as Idaho is not that cheap. If your coming from some were like calif or the east coast or some were homes cost over $300,000 then yes it is cheaper. As most run around 185. Fort some size that’s an average
Idaho is also gone from the 18 hungriest states to the 8th in the last year that tells you also how they think and work. they seam more to make them look good on paper and taking care of there working class poor and that class is growing as of last year a growth of almost 33.3% according to the federal government. If you want to go there ask people like my self who lived there (my case ten years) why they left if it is so good. Ask the kids there if there happy with the money they make and if they see them self’s staying there? do a lot of research spend hours as it is easier to not move then it is to have moved and wise you would not have and be stuck as now you do not have the cash to move again right away . remember there is always two sides to the story but I will say this with calif plates on the car we were spat at and had things thrown at us so if you do go make shore you change them the very first day possible . learn from others mistakes do not repeat them if you can and good luck chousing were to go but expect some dislike if your from a state with high housing cost as they tend to label all from there as causing all the problems in Idaho like housing cost but they do not think the low wages and inflation has any thing to do with it that’s why a senator pulled the bill to rays Idaho’s mina mime wage law from 5.15 to 6.15 as he said they do not need it.
To set the record straight, Caldwell is on the opposite side of the state. As far as I know there have been no hate related crimes and I do watch the news and live near IF.

As far as raising the min. wage, don't get me started on that dumb idea. If it goes up, so does the entire COL

Old 06-24-2006, 09:32 PM

[quote=cleosmom]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58

To set the record straight, Caldwell is on the opposite side of the state. As far as I know there have been no hate related crimes and I do watch the news and live near IF.

As far as raising the min. wage, don't get me started on that dumb idea. If it goes up, so does the entire COL
And so dose the whole cost of living is right the cost of gas homes food and in fact every thing has gone up but the wage so now you get less money if you’re a working poor and in Idaho that has gone up fact Idaho now places as number 8 from being 16th
Yes Caldwell
your right I have been around fact every state but Alaska and Hawaii west of the Mississippi river and a few east of that . I have live in calif, North Dakota (Place of birth by the way) and Idaho. spent summers in Missouri and or Wisconsin what I went threw in Idaho is more normal then it should be ,and even if it was abnormal it should have never happened If I went threw it any one can simple as that . Attitude of what I thought I would find was not what I found! Fact I thought it was the best place to move! Only I did not do the research I have now! Nor have I been any were that my car, or my wife’s car was spat on, or we were told to go home! Nope Idaho holds that honor all to its self. Same thing with not answering letters nope again Idaho politicians hold that honor. What I did learn is in Idaho there is a case of close my eyes and it is not true and if it is it will go away. I also know that Idaho has lost its hold on the bats place to live no mater how you look at it. Do a Google it dose not even show up almost at all. Wonder why if it still is so great .I also know Idaho’s cost of homes and things are going up as fast as every were but not the minimum wages . then again there is no reasons to have a wage that the young can stay in Idaho and afford to live on not just survive if that is there? !even more so why I left and why I do not return or recommend any one dose is easy to read now
Got to love Idaho’s attitude
ell is on the other side of the sate so here ya go for your side

Old 06-24-2006, 09:50 PM

Here are some excerpts from the governor’s state of the union address in Idaho for 2006

Even though the economy has been very strong, home budgets are as tight as ever because of rising energy costs. Here’s what one of our newspapers said: “HIGH COST OF HEAT LEAVES VALLEY RESIDENTS COLD.” And if the headline isn’t compelling enough, then listen to what citizens across the state have told me. My office received a call from a mother who spent one-fourth of her monthly budget on utility bills. I received an email from a family of eight, who had their power turned off right before Christmas. And a single mother wrote about having to dress her three-year old in two sweaters and wrap her eight month-old in extra blankets just to fend off the cold.

Another serious problem is gang activity. As the population grows, gangs will only get worse, unless we act. Idaho currently has no laws against gangs, but we must eradicate this social epidemic before it infects every community.
And when I talk about gangs, I want to dispel the image of the unsophisticated street thug. This is organized crime. They run like a business, but their business is no good.

This year, we will also take another step in our continuing fight against methamphetamine. Thanks to our anti-meth initiative, we have shut down more than 760 labs in seven years; on average, we’ve taken out two labs every week since I took office. We’ve been tough on meth and the word is out. We must make it harder than ever to Peddle this Poison in Idaho

One of the best ways to keep from having to build prisons is to ensure that our children are loved and cared for so they don’t get into trouble in the first place. From the very start of my administration, I have focused on families and children, declaring this the Generation of the Child. (Boy they failed on this one how about helping families from breaking up because a parent becomes disabled some thing Idaho dose not do!)
Our efforts have matured over the course of seven years. We have accomplished much, but there is more to do. To continue our emphasis on families and children, I propose creating the Office for Families and Children within the Executive Office of the Governor. This effort will formalize Idaho’s commitment to promoting healthy and well-educated children, and strengthening families. ( Gee this would be nice for a change in Idaho but lots of talk lets finaly see some action)

I recognize that property taxes are an increasing burden. I have a genuine concern in those areas of the state with rising property values, that seniors, those on fixed incomes, and the disabled might be priced out of their homes. It should never be the case that growing property taxes force a citizen from their home. (Ops to late Mr. Governor)
Hmmm makes ya think now don't it! well at lest there finally talking about some big problems like gangs, drugs, poor families, people losing there homes , families needed help , people on fixed incomes being left behind and people losing there homes over property taxes because there so high compared to wages and the fixed income many live on . . Yup good to here the rederic now let’s see some action then may be I will change my tune and be on Idaho’s side again. May be even move back but it will take changes not words for that to happen

Last edited by huntman58; 06-24-2006 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-24-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58
I also know Idaho’s cost of homes and things are going up as fast as every were but not the minimum wages .
It's called supply and demand. Folks from all over the country and world are wanting to move to Idaho and they actually do move to Idaho, hence the raise in housing costs: supply and demand. If the min. wage were to be raised, it would only drive the costs of everything else up further.

If you don't want to move to Idaho, don't you're not hurting anyone's feelings. If you want to move here, then do so and most likely you'll be greeted with a friendly smile in my neck of the woods

Enough said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls