Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:18 PM

6 posts, read 18,475 times

Advertisements

Answer about the LDS: They are very nice people and we have friends who are LDS. However, remember that here it is a much more closed knit community and so the majority of LDS here are more concervative than alot of the US. We personaly have had no problems at all. You'll mostly see the LDS culture reflected in the lack of nightlife in the area, as well as how there are so many large families. IF is a town of babies!
Hope that helps!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 PM

106 posts, read 583,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamommy View Post
Hello. My family and I are strongly considering moving to the Idaho Falls Area. We Currently live in the Seattle area and want to get out of the " Hustle and Bussle". What is it like there? My husband's commute is now over an 1 hour ea way, and we live 12 miles from the city. Also, I've read a lot on these boards re: LDS. Is it a very large LDS community and what does that mean according to the IF locals? We lived in AZ for 5 years and made some very good LDS friends. I just need info on the communtiy and if it's just plain friendly. Thanks!!! Oh and where to live I'm looking for 250-300,000 in aneighborhood with sidewalks, thanks!!!!
You're looking for 250,000 - 300,000 people? Sounds like Boise. I think you have the wrong side of the state...

As far as LDS... I'm not LDS and I didn't have a problem with living with LDS people in my 20 years in I.F. But... I never had any LDS friends nor did I really associate much with them. Not that I didn't go out of my way necessarily, but I got the feeling that birds of a feather stick together. Guess it can't be helped since you tend to congregate with people who have common interests...

Old 01-06-2007, 07:44 PM

9 posts, read 36,822 times
I posted in another thread on LDS. I know it probably sounds offensive but having LDS friends in another state or city is different than living in an LDS community. Here some are quite pushy and cliquey. Man, they are so nice when you move here but if you don't convert, you never get your baskets of food left on your doorstep again. You get the "we take care of our own" attitude, on the job you have to listen to constant LDS talk but I live in Rexburg so Idaho Falls, be it super conservative, is probably San Francisco next to here lol.

You can't even have a drink in a restaurant in the good old 'burg. I'm also curious about I.F. Do you at least have a place you can drink coffee or a good bar? Curious.

I also notice a difference in attitudes from students from other states. Some LDS from other places are much more open to those that aren't like them but the hardcore locals are a different matter.

I've met some great young LDS from out of state, met some not so nice locals. Not sure about I.F.

Last edited by UnhappyinRexburg; 01-06-2007 at 07:52 PM..

Old 01-06-2007, 07:50 PM

75 posts, read 344,608 times
I meant 250-300K for a house. From my research there are alot of houses for much lower

Old 01-06-2007, 07:53 PM

75 posts, read 344,608 times
thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it. Actually, when we visited our LDS friends took us to the Brew Pub in IF. It was a good microbrew. Now, it wasn't Seattle MicroBrew, but it was good. I think our lds friends may not be the norm... They let us bring home beer, and put it in their fridge!!!

PS please don't take this anyway I have something against LDS, I do not.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:59 PM

I'll be honest, living in the town I live in makes it hard not to feel some alienation so I also wanted to make it clear that I don't dislike all people that happen to be LDS. I'm young and single so its slim pickings not only in dating but making friends. It sounds like you have some nice friends. Like I said, its subjective. I'm not very conservative so that might be some of it. Your friends seem a little more open-minded.

Its funny, I was drinking coffee at work and there was some girl making noises and saying "ugh, what's that smell." She acted like even the smell of coffee was as bad as the smell of marijuana.

But I want to repeat, there are people I like here. I just think its hard being a youngish single with no interest in converting. I would feel like that if it was a town ran by any religion.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:48 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappyinRexburg View Post
I posted in another thread on LDS. I know it probably sounds offensive but having LDS friends in another state or city is different than living in an LDS community. Here some are quite pushy and cliquey. Man, they are so nice when you move here but if you don't convert, you never get your baskets of food left on your doorstep again. You get the "we take care of our own" attitude, on the job you have to listen to constant LDS talk but I live in Rexburg so Idaho Falls, be it super conservative, is probably San Francisco next to here lol.

You can't even have a drink in a restaurant in the good old 'burg. I'm also curious about I.F. Do you at least have a place you can drink coffee or a good bar? Curious.

I also notice a difference in attitudes from students from other states. Some LDS from other places are much more open to those that aren't like them but the hardcore locals are a different matter.

I've met some great young LDS from out of state, met some not so nice locals. Not sure about I.F.
Have you not ventured to Idaho Falls at all? We have plenty of places such as Applebee's, Chili's, TX Roadhouse and others that serve alcohol (not on Sundays unless it's premixed or beer/wine) along with good food. We have coffee places and get this, Starbucks

Old 01-06-2007, 11:58 PM

6 posts, read 31,523 times
idaho falls is a good place.I'm not an LDS an i have never had anyone try to pressure me to become an LDS.You can get a really nice house for 250k.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:09 AM

Unfortunately, I don't get to really venture to I.F. very much. I think I've been there once or twice. I guess I'm not a great judge when most of my Idaho interaction has taken place in Rexburg. Maybe this year.

What I've seen of I.F. is nice. Lots of places to shop and eat. If LDS don't hassle people there then it sounds like a good place.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 AM

106 posts, read 583,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamommy1 View Post
I meant 250-300K for a house. From my research there are alot of houses for much lower
Oh okay! Duhhhhh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls