Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 09:36 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times

Advertisements

I've seen tons of banter regarding this on social media. I for one, feel the city and county are doing a decent job.

There is absolutely no way they can get to every single neighborhood street in one or even two days. One major difficulty is people leaving their vehicles in the streets; cars and trailers. Its cases like this that wind up making things difficult for garbage removal and mail delivery.

Neighbors helping neighbors is something I've seen. We've got a Pocatello transplant and he ventured down our street on his four wheeler with plow to help us clear our driveways after the county came through and plowed.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas and remained safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 11:09 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I enjoyed being snowbound for a couple of days. I'm just sorry the new gas fireplace I ordered hasn't arrived yet, but it should be coming any day now. It looks like there will be plenty of winter left to enjoy it!

Old 12-28-2016, 07:14 PM

168 posts, read 174,266 times
My neighborhood (in Ammon) generally gets no plow service whatsoever on the roadways, but in heavy storm conditions, the county sends out graders to "level the snow on the roadways". We end up with flattened snow on the roads of our subdivision, which then freezes into a long-lasting ice pack. When all of the feeder routes and city streets are clear and showing black asphalt, we are usually still slipping and sliding on hard-pack ice.

But the people in our neighborhood are pretty resourceful and generally pretty helpful, too. There are those who simply push all of the snow from their driveways out into the streets, creating deep, loose snow on the roadways, but we also have a number of neighbors who seem to look forward to snow events to get their four-wheelers out and scrape off all of the sidewalks.

I never look at the snow removal efforts of others as a negative, even when the county leaves a 3ft snow berm in front of my driveway, or a neighbor creates snow berms across my driveway when clearing the sidewalk so the kids can get to school.

It is all just a part of living in a place that gets snow.
I simply proceed to clear the rest of my area of responsibility in as timely a manner as possible, and always offer to assist nearby neighbors with their snow removal, too.

Oh, and I try to plow a pathway by my mailbox for the postman/postwoman, and to be sure my trash can is in a position that is accessible for the robotic truck to get to it. No reason to make their job harder, either.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:14 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
This reminds me of the last year I lived in St Paul. We were rather an isolated block as our block ended at the park. The whole neighborhood got together & we plowed, shovelled our block out. There were a few snowballs thrown around also, lol.

Those were the days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: