Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 01:56 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I never posted that, but for clarity here are the stats:

Pocatello population: 56,637 (2019), county population 87,808
Idaho Falls population: 62,888 (2019), county population 119,062

It should be noted that Idaho Falls is recognized as an MSA, with a population just north of 130,000 when Rexburg/Rigby is included. (2010), probably 133-135K today.

Pocatello also ranks as an MSA with a population of 87K+, the same as the county population.

Blackfoot in between is the step child of the area, not included in either the Pocatello or Idaho Falls metro, but probably should be included in Poky, as it is only 25 miles north of Pocatello.
Perhaps Blackfoot or Chubbuck would be a good location to be somewhat near amenities like Idaho Falls or Pocatello yet far away enough from traffic congestion and crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 02:21 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Someday Idaho Falls and Pocatello might become joined as a metro area or consolidated metro area. An accounting change but corporations (and their employees) consider sitings / relocations might react differently to the region if labeled a 250-300k metro or bigger later. At minimum, likely "more on radar". Positives and / or negatives of that. Easier to say / sell "next Boise" with that public size statement, even if you probably realistically mean half Boise soon or ever.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:42 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I never posted that, but for clarity here are the stats:

Pocatello population: 56,637 (2019), county population 87,808
Idaho Falls population: 62,888 (2019), county population 119,062

It should be noted that Idaho Falls is recognized as an MSA, with a population just north of 130,000 when Rexburg/Rigby is included. (2010), probably 133-135K today.

Pocatello also ranks as an MSA with a population of 87K+, the same as the county population.

Blackfoot in between is the step child of the area, not included in either the Pocatello or Idaho Falls metro, but probably should be included in Poky, as it is only 25 miles north of Pocatello.
Blackfoot is considered a Micropolitan Statistical Area and is already included in a Idaho Statistical area with Idaho Falls as determined by the US OMB. So in theory it could just as easily be included in the Idaho Falls MSA (only five miles further than Poky). And driving through that area, Blackfoot appears to be growing northward more than southward (probably due to the fact that not too far south is an Indian Reservation-Fort Hall).

Best answer for the OP can only be given when the location of a new employer is noted. If south Poky, another location could be Inkom, if western Poky; American Falls.

Doing quite a bit of travel in the AM on I-15 north, there sure is a lot of southbound traffic that I assume is headed toward Poky (could be going further south?).

But it is an easy drive from ID falls to Poky (when there is no active construction. However, one thing to note is that next year (knowing Idaho dept of transportation...maybe the year after) the interchange at I-15 and I-86 will be under major construction due to a complete redesign (needed).

Old 10-16-2020, 10:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Blackfoot is considered a Micropolitan Statistical Area and is already included in a Idaho Statistical area with Idaho Falls as determined by the US OMB. So in theory it could just as easily be included in the Idaho Falls MSA (only five miles further than Poky). And driving through that area, Blackfoot appears to be growing northward more than southward (probably due to the fact that not too far south is an Indian Reservation-Fort Hall).

Best answer for the OP can only be given when the location of a new employer is noted. If south Poky, another location could be Inkom, if western Poky; American Falls.

Doing quite a bit of travel in the AM on I-15 north, there sure is a lot of southbound traffic that I assume is headed toward Poky (could be going further south?).

But it is an easy drive from ID falls to Poky (when there is no active construction. However, one thing to note is that next year (knowing Idaho dept of transportation...maybe the year after) the interchange at I-15 and I-86 will be under major construction due to a complete redesign (needed).
Generally agree with this, I just find the MSA’s there are a bit odd due to various factors. Three or four counties
with most principle cities rather far apart and a lot of low populated areas in between. Interesting to hear of the 82/15 rebuild. That already is a huge intersection by land area, and it seemed to function well, but I would suppose this federal/state agency needs to keep recycling construction jobs. So be it.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:50 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
I agree they are odd and not really understand their point in statistics. But gov't agencies just love statistics so it probably keeps some people in a job.

Pocatello MSA comprises parts of Power county, and pretty sure Idaho Falls MSA comprises Bonneville and Jefferson counties.

As for the problem is the northbound traffic merging from Pocatello Creek onto I-15, then trying to go over to the far left lane in a short distance to exit to the left to get on I-86 while there is a lot of northbound I-15 traffic. Also, the northbound traffic from I-86 east merges into a left lane of I-15 and have read that they are trying to do away with that idea.
Southbound also has a problem that has become more obvious and that is southbound I-15 traffic after it passes I-86 that wants to exit on Pocatello Creek/Almeda Ave and needs to cut over a merging lane with traffic merging southbound onto I-15. Most of the day not a big problem but in the AM can be a bit hectic.

And this problem was increased with the opening last year of the Northgate Exchange just a few miles north of I-86 that allows for those that used to go down Yellowstone to I-86 then over to I-15 to now enter I-15 and then want to exit at Almeda ave. (I do that all the time now vs. traveling down Yellowstone and through what is known as Malfunction Junction at I-86.)

Here's more info on the project and yes, it will be a cluster and I will avoid the area until it is done, and I have a few different routes to take to avoid malfunction junction during busy times and even avoid that interchange if needing to go south on I-15. However, for me; 90% of the time I only go north.

https://iplan.maps.arcgis.com/apps/M...f6844d8192d733

Old 10-17-2020, 08:52 AM

432 posts, read 534,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Someday Idaho Falls and Pocatello might become joined as a metro area or consolidated metro area. An accounting change but corporations (and their employees) consider sitings / relocations might react differently to the region if labeled a 250-300k metro or bigger later. At minimum, likely "more on radar". Positives and / or negatives of that. Easier to say / sell "next Boise" with that public size statement, even if you probably realistically mean half Boise soon or ever.
Technically here's the breakdown for East Idaho statistical areas with 2019 population estimates.

Idaho Falls Metro- consists of Bonneville, Butte and Jefferson, population 151,530

Idaho Falls Combined Statistical area- includes the metro area and Bingham, Madison and Fremont Counties, population combined 251, 347

Pocatello Metro Area- consists of Bannock County and Power County, population 95,489.

Idaho Falls is the economic center of East Idaho. The proximity of the INL and the fact that the biggest majority of it's employees live in Idaho Falls is the reason for the inclusion of Butte County. The US 20 corridor north of Idaho Falls is growing at a pretty good clip...Rexburg has boomed and a fair majority of residents in the county work and shop in Idaho Falls which is why they are included in the CSA and Fremont County is included in the Rexburg Micropolitan area.

It has been said that a few decades from now that Teton County in Idaho and Teton County in Wyoming (Jackson Hole) could also be included in the Combined Statistical area as well as Clark County to the north.

I've read some very interesting studies that have come out this year in fact that just the population of Idaho Falls alone will grow by an additional 35,000 in just the next 15 years.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:44 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
We visit both Poky and Idaho Falls at least once a month to do our big city shopping, we live over in Wyoming and it's a two hour drive give or take to either city.

Of the two I like Poky better in terms of scenery, the town is easy to navigate, people are friendly, and it's less congested than Idaho Falls.

I like Idaho Falls better for food options and they have more stores like Kohl's, Target and a better Mall, not that were shopping at the mall much these days. The traffic is not good, I think this every time we visit. The people are nice enough.

In both towns a majority of places are closed on Sunday due to the heavy LDS population. This is a bummer.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
Technically here's the breakdown for East Idaho statistical areas with 2019 population estimates.

Idaho Falls Metro- consists of Bonneville, Butte and Jefferson, population 151,530

Idaho Falls Combined Statistical area- includes the metro area and Bingham, Madison and Fremont Counties, population combined 251, 347

Pocatello Metro Area- consists of Bannock County and Power County, population 95,489.

Idaho Falls is the economic center of East Idaho. The proximity of the INL and the fact that the biggest majority of it's employees live in Idaho Falls is the reason for the inclusion of Butte County. The US 20 corridor north of Idaho Falls is growing at a pretty good clip...Rexburg has boomed and a fair majority of residents in the county work and shop in Idaho Falls which is why they are included in the CSA and Fremont County is included in the Rexburg Micropolitan area.

It has been said that a few decades from now that Teton County in Idaho and Teton County in Wyoming (Jackson Hole) could also be included in the Combined Statistical area as well as Clark County to the north.

I've read some very interesting studies that have come out this year in fact that just the population of Idaho Falls alone will grow by an additional 35,000 in just the next 15 years.
Ah yes, the age old MSA vs CSA argument. To be honest I’m not sure the CSA functions well in areas like East Idaho due to the distances involved and a lot of open land and farm land in between the principle cities. I think only mass media and a few other businesses use the CSA.

I stand corrected on my definition of the Pocatello MSA. It does include Power county, which is very small compared to Bannock.

IFguy, wiki does not show Butte County as part of the IF metro, but it could wrong. (What? Wiki wrong?)...

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-18-2020 at 05:53 PM..

Old 10-19-2020, 08:38 AM

434 posts, read 417,161 times
I don't believe butte county is counted in the IF metro. It has been argued that it should be because thousands of IF residents actually work in butte county

Old 10-20-2020, 11:35 AM

815 posts, read 736,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Poky has alot more traffic and people than Idaho Falls?
Living in Poky, I would disagree. The only places in Poky where traffic is consistently bad are the diamond interchange over I86, which is technically in Chubbuck. And the section of Yellowstone that goes by Fred Meyer and WinCo.

Even in downtown and the university areas, traffic can be heavier, but flows well. I always get caught in traffic in Idaho Falls....Every. Single. Time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls