Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 AM

37 posts, read 112,520 times

Advertisements

Long story short, moved from WA to KY for horses... plan didn't work due to another party not fufilling obligations so now have too big place and miss the west coast. Planning to go back to WA but prices and politics is getting crazy. Looking at Spokane area properties and stumble upon Sandpoint just across the border. Do some research and now thinking Sandpoint area is the place for us. Checking out various threads and eventually will come visit but before booking train (don't fly) we'd like to make sure it's a definate prospect.

Need:
Quality medical services... everyone says Sandpoint has good hospital and doctors. Husband is older and in good health, but you never know what life is going to hand you.We looked at a place near Clark Fork and I was worried that it was too far from Sandpoint if there was a medical emergancy. Is that a possiblity? What areas have difficulty being reached by medical services?

We love the downtown of Sandpoint and how they seem to keep themselves to more local small shops. Being a person who trys to buy local or at least USA this appealled greatly. How is the farmer's market? Is it difficult to set up your own stall? We a have a great local one that is easy to both shop and sell. Are there a lot of local shows/ community get togethers and are organized and well attended?

I am an avid horse person and currently breed and sell but am ready to get back to the trails. What is the best area for a horse person? Is there a good horse community? I'd really like a place that was bordering or near lots of riding space.

Finally... I'm currently attending college. Will have my two year degree soon but plan to work all the way to a masters. How is the local college? I go to a small town communty college and love the atmosphere. Not worried about a bit of a commute as when I start my four year I'd have to go a min of 45 min anyways.

Weather wise, we've had the mildness of the Seattle area and the definate four seasons of KY so we think we can handle the snow and ice. How long does the winter average? What's the worst months. Statistics just don't cut it. It puts our area at an average of 89 during summer but doesn't tell you that you'll get a week or two above 100 w/ 90% humidity. I do love the Fall and Spring here though.

I really do think the area is for us but would like to narrow down the area to search for housing. Last question... anyone want to trade a smaller house w/ approx 20 acres for large house and 86acres?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
I don't think Sandpoint has the greatest doctors or hospitals but they do in a pinch and Coeur d'Alene (and Spokane) is right down the road and lifeflights make it a zip to get there in emergencies.

The college thing could be a problem for you. North Idaho College is in CDA but is only a 2 year school. U of I and Lewis/Clark State Colleges have very limited presences in CDA.

What kind of horses and riding do you do?

You really should look into Deer Park, WA. Close enough to Spokane that you would have access to good docs and hospitals and there are several colleges and universities there. Gonzaga and Whitworth are excellent and easily commuted to from Deer Park.
Deer Park also has a huge and very active equestrian community with access to great vets. Good equine vets are in limited supply in the Sandpoint area.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:23 PM

148 posts, read 501,554 times
Usually the two most important decisions on moving are the education and medical resources. As an emt in NID I can tell you that medical care can often be delayed. Med Star is a superb service but many times they are grounded do to weather, not so much in summer. If readily available advance life support is desired I would look closer to post falls area. Just my 2 cents, which is now not even worth that thanks to our govt. spending.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander dave View Post
Usually the two most important decisions on moving are the education and medical resources. As an emt in NID I can tell you that medical care can often be delayed. Med Star is a superb service but many times they are grounded do to weather, not so much in summer. If readily available advance life support is desired I would look closer to post falls area. Just my 2 cents, which is now not even worth that thanks to our govt. spending.
Forgot about bad weather. Very true.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
I don't think Sandpoint has the greatest doctors or hospitals but they do in a pinch and Coeur d'Alene (and Spokane) is right down the road and lifeflights make it a zip to get there in emergencies.

The college thing could be a problem for you. North Idaho College is in CDA but is only a 2 year school. U of I and Lewis/Clark State Colleges have very limited presences in CDA.

What kind of horses and riding do you do?

You really should look into Deer Park, WA. Close enough to Spokane that you would have access to good docs and hospitals and there are several colleges and universities there. Gonzaga and Whitworth are excellent and easily commuted to from Deer Park.
Deer Park also has a huge and very active equestrian community with access to great vets. Good equine vets are in limited supply in the Sandpoint area.

Deer Park, WA was actually the place I was looking at before Sandpoint. I liked the location and easy access to Spokane but did not feel the same vibrant community that Sandpoint seems to have. Also, the cost of living seemed higher than ID or is that just perception?

Old 12-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selandra View Post
Deer Park, WA was actually the place I was looking at before Sandpoint. I liked the location and easy access to Spokane but did not feel the same vibrant community that Sandpoint seems to have. Also, the cost of living seemed higher than ID or is that just perception?
I live in the Priest Lake area but we spend a lot of time in Sandpoint. Since we are horse people, we've spent a great deal of time in Deer Park and all I know is the horse community there which is very active. The Backcountry Horsemen there and the Yeehaw Riders (if I remember the name correctly) do a lot, especially with middle-aged and older riders who really want to hit the trails and get out into the woods on horseback.
I have no idea about the cost of living or how Deer Park compares outside of the equestrian community. But it is definitely more convenient as far as medical care and colleges.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Quote:
.We looked at a place near Clark Fork and I was worried that it was too far from Sandpoint if there was a medical emergancy. Is that a possiblity? What areas have difficulty being reached by medical services?
Clark Fork is only 25 miles from Sandpoint, so as you can tell from previous posts, medical services will be available unless the weather is bad. But it is a bit of a gamble--we had to make a similar decision, and CF is not "back of beyond," but you can see it from there! (Sorry Montana !).

It seems like almost everybody has horses in our neighborhood of CF (River Road), and I'm told there are great trails up the mountains on either side of the river. We haven't explored much of the back country yet.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
I live in the Priest Lake area but we spend a lot of time in Sandpoint. Since we are horse people, we've spent a great deal of time in Deer Park and all I know is the horse community there which is very active. The Backcountry Horsemen there and the Yeehaw Riders (if I remember the name correctly) do a lot, especially with middle-aged and older riders who really want to hit the trails and get out into the woods on horseback.
I have no idea about the cost of living or how Deer Park compares outside of the equestrian community. But it is definitely more convenient as far as medical care and colleges.
I do like the sound of it but the cost of living does need to factor into my decision (would rather have more money to buy horse stuff ).
Medical is more a just in case.. my husband is getting older and though he's in great condition... I want to keep him that way. I enjoy having him around most of the time .
As for college, its important but it's also a short term factor... never thought I'd reach the age where 6yrs doesn't seem that long .

Which brings me to another question... what internet service is available around Sandpoint? Right now we have hughesnet and I'd rather not continue with them.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Clark Fork is only 25 miles from Sandpoint, so as you can tell from previous posts, medical services will be available unless the weather is bad. But it is a bit of a gamble--we had to make a similar decision, and CF is not "back of beyond," but you can see it from there! (Sorry Montana !).

It seems like almost everybody has horses in our neighborhood of CF (River Road), and I'm told there are great trails up the mountains on either side of the river. We haven't explored much of the back country yet.
What is the Clark Fork area like? What kind of internet do you have? I believe the one place we were looking at was right near the main highway up to Sandpoint. How is the driving in the winter? Are they good about plowing/ sanding after storms?

Is there any horse groups in your area? Would people be open to joining a horse group if one became available? I'm really big on community and getting people together for a good time. I spent some time recently judging for a group who did trail riding w/ obstacles. Everyone had a great time and I would love to either join or start up something like it. What is the main type of horses? I have sporthorse type Appaloosas and don't really fit into my local QH neighborhood.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
What is the main type of horses? I have sporthorse type Appaloosas and don't really fit into my local QH neighborhood.
Are you an English rider? I am and my daughter does dressage and eventing. She has a pinto Oldenburg cross sporthorse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho