Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:26 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times

Advertisements

It's a different story in Twin Falls than it is in Boise or up north. I would certainly say that Californians are not well liked there, and for a handful of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 07:51 PM

140 posts, read 491,342 times
Default Something to chew on.

Funny, the smaller, poorer states don't mind divvying up our large federal tax contributions. If we could keep more of our tax money here, this would be a much better place to live. We could fix up our own roads and schools for example.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
It's a different story in Twin Falls than it is in Boise or up north. I would certainly say that Californians are not well liked there, and for a handful of reasons.
I would be curious to know the handful of reasons. I was in the Twin Falls area over the weekend. My son and his family moved to Hazelton, and they are from California. While I was visiting, I found the people to be extraordinarily warm and friendly, and no one batted an eye when I said I was from California (actually Utah, now). A number of folks suggested that since I was retired, I should move to the area to take advantage of the low cost of real estate.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I would be curious to know the handful of reasons. I was in the Twin Falls area over the weekend. My son and his family moved to Hazelton, and they are from California. While I was visiting, I found the people to be extraordinarily warm and friendly, and no one batted an eye when I said I was from California (actually Utah, now). A number of folks suggested that since I was retired, I should move to the area to take advantage of the low cost of real estate.
Well, that's mostly why. Don't want to derail the thread, so I'll leave it at that.

My parents live in Twin Falls. TF is very, very conservative, very "good ol' boy", very Idahoan, and very reluctant to change. California is equated to "San Francisco values" which is equated to liberal heathens with loose morals and too much money. It may be an unfair stigma, but it is very much the attitude TF takes.

Twin Falls is experiencing much of the same growing pains as Boise, but with several unique conditions that make it different. Wages aren't keeping up with the cost of living, at all. TF is still very much a small town, a very agricultural and retail-driven town. TF is still affordable, but there are very few good paying jobs that enable people to keep up with increasing cost of living. Many people chose to live in TF but work in Sun Valley, because the pay is much better there. But enough people are discovering TF and its proximity to SV, and this is also driving up the cost of living.

This creates a weird social caste in TF - a greater deal of poor and lower middle class people, a significant amount of retirees, and an increasing high-upper class. The middle class is getting squeezed out.

I also don't think there are as many Cali transplants living in TF as there are in Boise, and this adds to the aversion towards them. Californians are seen as invaders, and get the blame for clogged traffic on Blue Lakes Blvd, for new annexations (for those who built slightly out of town - I worked with an ex-Californian who moved just outside of TF, and again moved because his house was annexed and they were forced to pay the corresponding bills of the water and sewer lines), and for the remarkable construction that is happening on all four sides of the town (even across the canyon).

People also tend to blame the horrible meth and burgeoning gang problem on Californians, even though it tends to be mostly local kids involved in these (in my experience).

That's the feeling I get, from my parents and my friends who still live there. I'm not saying it's right, it's fair, but it's certainly there. I'm sure you've seen plenty examples in other threads on this board; here's one in particular with a view responses: //www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...questions.html

For what it's worth, the best bet for retirees in this area = Hagerman. Seriously. A quiet river hamlet in the banana belt of Idaho. It's a retiree town, with absolutely no economic base, and no crime or drug problems. Low cost of living, too. I think 800 people live there. About an hour or so from TF; an hour and a half to Boise.

Last edited by Anchorless; 07-17-2007 at 08:51 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Twin Falls is experiencing much of the same growing pains as Boise, but with several unique conditions that make it different. Wages aren't keeping up with the cost of living, at all. TF is still very much a small town, a very agricultural and retail-driven town. TF is still affordable, but there are very few good paying jobs that enable people to keep up with increasing cost of living. Many people chose to live in TF but work in Sun Valley, because the pay is much better there. But enough people are discovering TF and its proximity to SV, and this is also driving up the cost of living.
Again, I am simply curious, but does anyone actually analyze what is occurring? First, population growth is directly linked to congestion and pressure on infrastructure. There is no denying this fact; however, if one lives in a town of 10K, the cost of commodities should not change because the population grows to 40K. Nothing has changed other than demand, and economy of scale becomes a factor, which should actually lower prices or at least keep them stable. In short, it is not population growth that is driving up prices; it is the business owners and corporations. Next, if the cost of housing and land are escalating, then the responsibility rests directly on the shoulders of the property owners and contractors, who are most likely locals. Further, if ranchers and farmers are going out of business, this is a problem with either their own management or the economy at a national scale. Next, the farmers and ranchers are the property owners, so I assume it is obvious who is inflating property values. Finally, low wages are the fault of both local business owners and corporations.

I’m sorry that Idaho’s way of life is changing, but I’m afraid it is no more immune to what’s happening all over the United States than any other place. This pattern is repeating itself everywhere. Until people stop worshiping the buck and care more about quality of life, there will be no stopping it.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Interesting prospective on things; but don't forget gas, which has gotten quite expensive, that is a part of cost of living and I'm not sure the locals have anything to do with that. In addition, with gas being more inexpensive the price of your products that you have to purchase have gone up because now it costs more to transport the goods.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Interesting prospective on things; but don't forget gas, which has gotten quite expensive, that is a part of cost of living and I'm not sure the locals have anything to do with that. In addition, with gas being more inexpensive the price of your products that you have to purchase have gone up because now it costs more to transport the goods.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I would like to respond. The cost of fuel is not necessarily related to cost of procurement; it is most often related to whatever the market will bare. I have driven in a number of areas where fuel is much cheaper, but the economy in those areas will not support higher prices. As an example: the cost of fuel in San Francisco is 20 to 50 cents more a gallon than surrounding areas. There is no reason for this other than oil companies believe people in SF are willing to pay such prices. Greed, Torrie, Greed.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:57 AM

448 posts, read 1,070,539 times
Smile Dodgers fan

Quote:
You might for wearing a dodgers hat, now that you mention it.

Seems like everyone up here is a Giants fan, for some reason or another.
I'll forgive ya, I'm married to a true blue Dodger fan and GB fan. Oh well he's a keeper anyway! You could even start to like the Mariners and the Seahawks?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 AM

Angry Come but DON'T CHANGE A THING

I’m sorry that Idaho’s way of life is changing, but I’m afraid it is no more immune to what’s happening all over the United States than any other place. This pattern is repeating itself everywhere. Until people stop worshiping the buck and care more about quality of life, there will be no stopping it.[/quote]

Truly spoken, I catch myself grumbling that I have neighbors from Ca that are too close, (.25 miles) and the barking dog that comes into my yard and driveway to take a s...But needless to say to digress, I am from truly N. Ca where I was an hr from any major city and the growth was so torrid with those "bay are and soCal" mindsets moving in and taking over. I say that cause they bring in their money and attitudes and change the dirt roads to pavement because they want to drive their beamers and hummers faster and not get them dusty! We used to tell our neighbors who wanted to pave our dirt road if you want pavement and amenities go back where you came from. Don't change this area! Well they did and that's why we are here in the middle of middle of ID. Backed by 6 million acres of wilderness. Amen!!
DON'T COME HERE AND TRY TO CHANGE A THING!!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 AM

Smile OK to move here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyToy View Post
Can someone please explain to me if it's a REALLY BIG DEAL for someone to move to Idaho from California? I've looked over some of these threads posted by Idahoans {?} practically cursing the Californians migration towards the north. Nonetheless. I'm am somewhat afraid for my relocation to Pocatello now. Will I be shunned for my language, and speak? I move on October 1st from San Diego...and aside from the culture-shock....grrrrr I hope it won't be hard to make friends and fit in {25 years old...wanting to marry and start a family with my boyfriend}
If you prefer to be truly english speaking Americans, welcome to a true American state. It is so warm and welcoming here. I find that people in bigger cities have a tendency to be a little more agressive in their attititudes as nature but over all it's the best place to live !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho