Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 PM

382 posts, read 1,033,565 times

Advertisements

Life is political. It's all related...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 04:24 AM

129 posts, read 584,196 times
Yes it is.. From the sounds of it though, it seems Coeur d'Alene has changed a lot, and even though some neo-nazi element may remain, overall it is a safe place for Jews and other people. I am amazed to hear they have a Messianic Jewish community in Coeur d'Alene. That is great for me, as I consider myself a Messianic or Netzarim Jew. I suppose if they feel safe having a community there, I should be safe as well.

I look forward to visiting the area. I have a lot of questions about the CDA area, but it would probably be inappropriate for this thread. I will post those questions in another thread.

Sorry, Sage, if we got a little too deep into history and ethics here. I guess with a topic like this and a poster with my background, it was bound to happen. Anyway, I think most of my questions are solved. Ejay and others have given me a better understanding of the situation there. But, I would appreciate hearing other comments on the topic, if anyone else wants to share.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,842,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
Life is political. It's all related...
While that point is true, CDF does make some distinction between state-specific issues (on relocation, etc) and larger political issues (even if based in a state). This thread is NOT about your broader political beliefs, it's about people being able to feel comfortable in a very specific location in Idaho. I believe you (and others) are intelligent enough to recognize and respect that delineation.

So keep it relevant in that regard. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 PM

66 posts, read 150,493 times
I guess I understand why this question keeps coming back up, but it does get tedious, and I didn't even grow up in ID. I'm sure for those that did, it's got to be infuriating.

I've yet to meet anyone in N ID that would be classified as a Neo Nazi, or even anyone that would be sympathetic to someone who was.

As an ex cop, what I can tell you, is that percentage wise, there's far more eyes keeping track of those types of individuals, then there are watching violent street gangs in places like LA or Chicago. All the violence caused by the Nazis in N ID put together, wouldn't compare to a busy week's worth of violence caused by street gangs in many large cities. And if you're white, and you'd like to see racists, take a walk in some of those neighborhoods sometime.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 PM

708 posts, read 1,816,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im5150too View Post
I guess I understand why this question keeps coming back up, but it does get tedious, and I didn't even grow up in ID. I'm sure for those that did, it's got to be infuriating.

I've yet to meet anyone in N ID that would be classified as a Neo Nazi, or even anyone that would be sympathetic to someone who was.

As an ex cop, what I can tell you, is that percentage wise, there's far more eyes keeping track of those types of individuals, then there are watching violent street gangs in places like LA or Chicago. All the violence caused by the Nazis in N ID put together, wouldn't compare to a busy week's worth of violence caused by street gangs in many large cities. And if you're white, and you'd like to see racists, take a walk in some of those neighborhoods sometime.
First of all I'm from a big city....Im sorry to say that this town, both northern Idaho, and the surrounding areas, have racism...I met some of the most beautiful people in this town and I will miss them a lot because we are moving back east in the summer...Idaho is not really welcome to change....I have NEVER experienced racism until I came here with my husband, and here again, Im not knocking this town...overall, the beauty is majestic...But, there are still some people who don't like people of other races....i was born and raised in the big city and lived there for over 35 years..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
...Certainly, there is no active Jewish community there.

...I'm sure finding a Jewish wife with conservative values in Coeur d'Alene will pose quite a challenge. I have lived up in the Pacific Northwest most my life and will say not many Jews live the wilderness mountain lifestyle. As you can see from our history most Jewish people like to congregate together in specific neighborhoods of big cities. Before Jews lived in the cities we would all live together in isolated sheitels. Basically, we all lived together and traveled together. Not many would separate and go there own way. This probably stems back from the old times. Most Jews are within tight-knit communities.

I have to ask, why the big focus on a Jewish communitiy? And not to single your beliefs out, could be Muslim, Catholic, Morman, hispanic, black or "neo-nazi". I'm not attacking you, I just want to understand what you're looking for.

What I read in your statement is that you wish to surround yourself with people of a similar belief set and culture. Quite honestly, that doesn't sound particularly focused on diversity or accepting of others. Or, for that matter, someone looking to fit in and make a place in the larger community.

N. ID has residents with a broad spectrum of religions and races. It is predominantly white, highly independant and slightly conservative. However, nearly everyone that I have encountered has been quite outgoing and accepting of others. I think a portion of that is due to the number of "transplants" that have made the decision to leave their comfortable life surrounded by longtime friends and family to start out new in this area. The lack of a long term "support system" encourages contact and acceptance of others.

IMO the people that feel the greatest level of isolation are those that are looking to isolate themselves from the community as a whole and surround themselves with others that look or believe as they do. While we don't have a "Jewish community", as far as I know we don't have a Morman or Catholic one either. Most communities are a mix of beliefs and races here, without the segregation you see in many larger cities. I think that most people here place contributing to their community above a particluar church. IMO that is a positive thing.

As to Neo-Nazis, I have lived here for 17 years now and never encountered one. Same as with gangs.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:11 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
It was a question, not a speculation. I see you are from Hayden, rather then telling me not to come because I think this or that, I just like to know what the situation is there. As for me , I am theologically, Orthodox Messianic Jewish, Republican, gun owner, conservative. Let's just say I really do not fit in well in a liberal town and want to be in a place with other like-minded people. I don't care if they are of my exact religion or denomination, but I am looking to be around people who are more religious, Christian, conservative , like myself. I really feel like a foreigner or outsider in Portland and just cannot integrate with the local hipster/liberal population of this city.

Also, I love to live in a place that is surrounded by nature rather than endless suburban sprawl of condos, housing subdivisions and mini-malls. I would love to be able within minutes to be hiking in the mountains or to spend the day at a beautiful and pristine lake. Also, it seems that CDA area is a shooter's paradise which is another major benefit. In PDX I am stuck shooting at crowded ranges with so many strict rules. I'd love to have the luxury to go into the forest and shoot, which is impossible around here. However, the shooting ranges there are really nice looking, even if I didn't want to go into the woods.

DOn't take it personally, but the neo-nazi headquarters was located in Hayden area for many years, so yes there is a bad reputation and I am sorry that the good people there have to bear that burden. Being Jewish, I hope you can understand where I am coming from and why I am asking. Seeing that a potentially tragic event occurred at MLK gathering not far from CDA made me worry a bit, but it would not prevent me from wanting to move up there.

Basically, I have not been up there since I was 13, so I don't know what the people think. SO, please tell me about the area and if someone says "Don't move here", then I think I may get the wrong feeling.

I am an accepting person , love nature, shooting guns, going to Temple/Church (being Messianic I do both) . However, I need to know my surroundings and amongst Jews, the area has a bed reputation. But I won't let reputations ever influence me, I want to hear from the people in the area and make my own decision.
Mr. SmithW, seeing your background and interests, all I can say is Git-r-done! If there are any people around with neo-nazi beliefs they are very few and far between, and are far more outcasts of the community than any other group. If they are around (and yes, in a population of the size of Kootenai county there is bound to be one or two around) they are held in contempt.

If you wish to surround yourself with exclusively with a Jewish background and beliefs, this isn't the place. But if you wish to worship in your own manner and comfortable with people of different beliefs, you will have a lot to like. Quite honestly, I don't see religion as that big an issue around here. I'm an athesticly-leaning agnostic, probably more of a minority around here than Jews are and have never seen an issue. Heck, some of my best friends are Christian . Actually, most of them are, and I only mean that comment with good will.

If you make the move, we'll have to get together and do some shooting. We have quite a number of shooters on this site. Also, feel free to pick up an ATV, I'd love to show you around some of the forest roads and trails. I can take you to places only a tiny percentage of the population ever goes to.

edit to add

With regard to the Aryan parade a decade or so ago, I went downtown to watch, largely because I didn't trust the media to portray it accurately. I hung back a block or so, and chatted with some of the cops (there were more cops than marchers or protesters IMO). There was a small group of marchers (I'd guess 20-30) and maybe 60-100 protestors walking along with them. Neither side distinguished themselves as tolerant, accepting or particularly bright. Both focused on mindless chants and profanity. Still, the media managed to focus on the center of the parade and make the whole thing look much larger than it was. All around a disgusting event to have in my town.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-25-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM

66 posts, read 150,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
First of all I'm from a big city....Im sorry to say that this town, both northern Idaho, and the surrounding areas, have racism...I met some of the most beautiful people in this town and I will miss them a lot because we are moving back east in the summer...Idaho is not really welcome to change....I have NEVER experienced racism until I came here with my husband, and here again, Im not knocking this town...overall, the beauty is majestic...But, there are still some people who don't like people of other races....i was born and raised in the big city and lived there for over 35 years..
Respectfully, if you lived in a big city for 35 years, and "never experienced racism" until you came to Idaho, when you lived in the city you either stayed in your home and didn't spend any time with the inhabitants, or you just ignored racism that wasn't directed at you.

As a white kid who grew up in a predominantly black/hispanic neighborhood, and then worked as a cop in similar neighborhoods, I saw and experienced racism that even many of my black friends told me was beyond anything they had ever experienced. Racially motivated beatings were a daily event of my childhood, and I investigated many, many, beatings, rapes, and murders that involved racist components, committed by blacks, against whites or hispanics. They were common.

But though a 12 year old spray painting a swastika on a synagogue wall in a upscale neighborhood, was always prime time and front page news, when the hispanic girl was gang raped and made to eat her own excrement by 4 black men, while calling her her every racial epithet imaginable, it was on page 7, with no mention of the racist overtone. As with most things, the media decides what's racism and what isn't.

Any form of racism is abhorrent to me. But to say North Idaho is some kind of a racist hot bed today, while insinuating racism is non existent in any big city, is ridiculous.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM

708 posts, read 1,816,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im5150too View Post
Respectfully, if you lived in a big city for 35 years, and "never experienced racism" until you came to Idaho, when you lived in the city you either stayed in your home and didn't spend any time with the inhabitants, or you just ignored racism that wasn't directed at you.

As a white kid who grew up in a predominantly black/hispanic neighborhood, and then worked as a cop in similar neighborhoods, I saw and experienced racism that even many of my black friends told me was beyond anything they had ever experienced. Racially motivated beatings were a daily event of my childhood, and I investigated many, many, beatings, rapes, and murders that involved racist components, committed by blacks, against whites or hispanics. They were common.

But though a 12 year old spray painting a swastika on a synagogue wall in a upscale neighborhood, was always prime time and front page news, when the hispanic girl was gang raped and made to eat her own excrement by 4 black men, while calling her her every racial epithet imaginable, it was on page 7, with no mention of the racist overtone. As with most things, the media decides what's racism and what isn't.

Any form of racism is abhorrent to me. But to say North Idaho is some kind of a racist hot bed today, while insinuating racism is non existent in any big city, is ridiculous.

I never said that idaho was racist hotbed....It does have some racism in it, more then most....I just happen to notice it when the company i worked for here had to inform each client that i was black before i could come to there house to give them care...That's all..I grew up in the sixties where I lived around the corner from race riots that broke out and set the whole neighborhood on fire...I have seen racism..Idaho is not that bad..but it is here...Maybe its just where Iam in the panhandle....

Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Is Neo-Nazism Really Dead in Spokane/Couer d'Alene area?

Unlikely, these skunks do not change their stripes, they just burrow underground and plot against what they see as sub-human. If anyone truly knows "sub-human" it would be these guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho