Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Is Neo-Nazism Really Dead in Spokane/Couer d'Alene area?

Unlikely, these skunks do not change their stripes, they just burrow underground and plot against what they see as sub-human. If anyone truly knows "sub-human" it would be these guys.
True. But, rats and cockroaches scatter when light is shown on them.

The local human rights task force has done a good job of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM

66 posts, read 150,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
I never said that idaho was racist hotbed....It does have some racism in it, more then most.....
Again I would respectfully disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
I have seen racism..Idaho is not that bad..but it is here...Maybe its just where Iam in the panhandle....
Racism is everywhere. You obviously have a different perceptive than a white person living or working in a predominately black neighborhood.

I can tell you racist acts committed by blacks are far more tolerated by the system than vice versa. Neither should be acceptable.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
I never felt that there was Neo-Nazism or evidence of racism in the area.

I did feel like it was a place where one could be free to be themselves, regardless.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 PM

129 posts, read 584,196 times
Hi Toyman.. I would be more than happy to go shooting guns with you sometime when I get up there. As far as ATVing, I'm not sure about that. I haven't done it before and I have been lot more reserved over the years. I've trying to avoid any risky activities like I use to do in the past. It does sound like fun though. I'm more into mountain hiking/trekking now. I just like to relax and enjoy nature. That is a luxury I don't have in what I call "Suburban Hell". Another hobby I wanted to pick up is snowshoeing, which I think the CDA area would be great for.

I assume you read that I am not seeking out to just be friends or commune with Jewish people. If that was all that I wanted, I could just move to Brooklyn, New York or some area that has a large Jewish community. I actually embrace people of all different cultures and ways of life. Considering I am a Messianic/Netzarim Jew, I have a close connection with many Christians. Actually, right now I am attending a Russian/Ukrainian church who has accepted me for my culture and I accept and even integrate with theirs.

The way I look at it is, if people will accept my culture and if we have enough in common, I am more than happy to accept theirs. However, there are what I consider core values that I find to be important with all relationships I have with people. I tend to think people of a more conservative and/or religious background would have more in common with me and not feel alienated by my views. However, I am pretty accepting when it comes culture and way of life. Even, I can have friends who are even Hindus, Buddhists, Spiritualists, Agnostics, etc as long as they don't try to ridicule my religion or convert me.

Anyway, to stay on the subject, I am glad to hear people are accepting and that the Neo-Nazi element is on the decline. I did call one of the people at Jewish synagogues in the area and he seemed to be a bit paranoid. He was telling me that the neo-Nazi movement is trying to get back to life and that they are trying to setup a new headquarters in Athol. Without getting emotional, can anyone confirm the absurdity of his claim? Well I will take this guy's claims with a grain of salt. I will say that us Jewish people do get a bit paranoid at times. I want to experience the place for myself and I really appreciate the posts of the people here.

It is true racism is everywhere. I guess in a bigger city you can be more anonymous. My worries are it being a small town, that the element, even though a small number,may be able to recognize me easier considering the size of the town. Well, I have a feeling by the posts of people here, that neo-nazi crap will not be tolerated and that the guys perpetrating this stuff will find themselves packing their bags for another area sooner or later. Somehow, I think I would fit in more and make better friendships in a place like CDA than Portland. Not to say there isn't good folks in Oregon as well.

In the end, I think its the proximity to nature and a more peaceful atmosphere of CDA that attracts me the most, not just the culture or politics of the people. However, I think I'd be happier living in a place with people whom which I can relate to better.

Another place I have considered is Bellingham, which is from what I hear quite liberal. I'm sure I'd like the cultural element around CDA more, but the beauty of the area I find to be quite enchanting. I think CDA would be the better of the two , because it has less rain, less liberal and a bit cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Mr. SmithW, seeing your background and interests, all I can say is Git-r-done! If there are any people around with neo-nazi beliefs they are very few and far between, and are far more outcasts of the community than any other group. If they are around (and yes, in a population of the size of Kootenai county there is bound to be one or two around) they are held in contempt.

If you wish to surround yourself with exclusively with a Jewish background and beliefs, this isn't the place. But if you wish to worship in your own manner and comfortable with people of different beliefs, you will have a lot to like. Quite honestly, I don't see religion as that big an issue around here. I'm an athesticly-leaning agnostic, probably more of a minority around here than Jews are and have never seen an issue. Heck, some of my best friends are Christian . Actually, most of them are, and I only mean that comment with good will.

If you make the move, we'll have to get together and do some shooting. We have quite a number of shooters on this site. Also, feel free to pick up an ATV, I'd love to show you around some of the forest roads and trails. I can take you to places only a tiny percentage of the population ever goes to.

Last edited by Mr.SmithW; 01-25-2011 at 10:29 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 10:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
...I did call one of the people at Jewish synagogues in the area and he seemed to be a bit paranoid. He was telling me that the neo-Nazi movement is trying to get back to life and that they are trying to setup a new headquarters in Athol. Without getting a emotional, can anyone confirm the absurdity of his claim?
I saw that in the news a few years ago. One or two idiots were trying. That was years ago, and I haven't heard anything since. I'll add: If they made the news about it, I don't think their odds of success are very good.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I saw that in the news a few years ago. One or two idiots were trying. That was years ago, and I haven't heard anything since. I'll add: If they made the news about it, I don't think their odds of success are very good.
The problem is that the media will focus on one or two idiots like that. The news media (even the local ones) are a worse enemy for this area than the handful of racist nutjobs that might still be around.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-26-2011 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
Hi Toyman.. I would be more than happy to go shooting guns with you sometime when I get up there. As far as ATVing, I'm not sure about that. I haven't done it before and I have been lot more reserved over the years. I've trying to avoid any risky activities like I use to do in the past. It does sound like fun though. I'm more into mountain hiking/trekking now. I just like to relax and enjoy nature. That is a luxury I don't have in what I call "Suburban Hell". Another hobby I wanted to pick up is snowshoeing, which I think the CDA area would be great for.

I assume you read that I am not seeking out to just be friends or commune with Jewish people. If that was all that I wanted, I could just move to Brooklyn, New York or some area that has a large Jewish community. I actually embrace people of all different cultures and ways of life. Considering I am a Messianic/Netzarim Jew, I have a close connection with many Christians. Actually, right now I am attending a Russian/Ukrainian church who has accepted me for my culture and I accept and even integrate with theirs.
With regards to ATVs, we have a lot of older, milder riders in both the clubs I'm involved with, and they tend to stick with forest service roads and mild trails. Risk taking isn't the focus, it's just a pleasant way to get out and enjoy the many miles of forest service roads in the area, and the views and experiences they offer. Most you can do fine in a light truck or car...it's just a lot nicer on a quad. We also have a lot of "UTVs" (side by side ATVs, aka Rinos, etc) around. They are growing rapidly in popularity...and either (atv/utv) provide a great way to get to many of the hiking trailheads in the area. I'm not trying to talk you into something you're not interested in, it's just one of my passions. I will say, you will miss a lot of what the area has to offer if you limit yourself to paved roads.

With regard to the religious issues, I suspect the portion of the population of the Jewish faith is fairly low. Having said that, I don't think you be "slighted" or shunned because of your faith, people here are pretty accepting. I don't pay any attention to what faith my friends are, and I think most people here are the same way. I think the bigger question is, how much would you miss a large population that share your faith? As to why there are few Jews in the area, I'd say that's a good question. Undoubtably a part of that is the reputation the area has due to the Aryan Nations years ago. At the risk of sterotyping, I just don't picture that many Jews focused on outdoor activities, particularly hunting and shooting. However, the existence of the JPFO would tend to say I'm wrong about that...

I'm also making an assumption that the Jewish population here is low...I'm not really sure. I am unaware of any synagogs in the CDA area...but I couldn't tell you the location of any particular churches or temples either. I'm probably the wrong person to give you input here. I guess my point is that, in my experience, a person's faith just isn't that big a factor around here. Others will have different opinions.

I hope you decide to make the move, the area and the people have a lot to offer.

One of your comments made me smile in a way:
Quote:
I was living in the Oregon coast for 4 years and drove 1.5 hours into Eugene just to get food.
I'm from the Buffalo area, and I really miss the local options for food. Really good, cheap Friday night fish frys. A beef on 'weck sandwich, fried balogna with onions and cheese or a good cheesesteak. Good, local pizzarias, not some chain. And I REALLY would like to find a good order of wings somewhere in the West. Still, the food is the ONLY thing I miss at all, a very fair price to pay.

I realize you were talking about food that was acceptable for religious reasons, but still...

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-26-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm from the Buffalo area, and I really miss the local options for food. Really good, cheap Friday night fish frys. A beef on 'weck sandwich, fried balogna with onions and cheese or a good cheesesteak. Good, local pizzarias, not some chain. And I REALLY would like to find a good order of wings somewhere in the West. Still, the food is the ONLY thing I miss at all, a very fair price to pay.

Or good Chinese food...

Old 01-26-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Or good Chinese food...
You mean there is something better than Panda Express?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Definitely not Golden China in Newport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho