Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 AM

129 posts, read 583,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
With regards to ATVs, we have a lot of older, milder riders in both the clubs I'm involved with, and they tend to stick with forest service roads and mild trails. Risk taking isn't the focus, it's just a pleasant way to get out and enjoy the many miles of forest service roads in the area, and the views and experiences they offer. Most you can do fine in a light truck or car...it's just a lot nicer on a quad. We also have a lot of "UTVs" (side by side ATVs, aka Rinos, etc) around. They are growing rapidly in popularity...and either (atv/utv) provide a great way to get to many of the hiking trailheads in the area. I'm not trying to talk you into something you're not interested in, it's just one of my passions. I will say, you will miss a lot of what the area has to offer if you limit yourself to paved roads.
Well, if it isn't too dangerous or daredevilish, perhaps I be interested in giving it a try. I have had too many near death experiences in the past and now that I am older and settled down I am just trying to live as peaceful of a life as possible. For most part I am pretty simple person in my extracurricular pleasures. I don't mind trying new things, if the risk level is low. Perhaps, remote mountain hiking/camping is the only major risky thing I will still do, but that is a pastime I cannot sacrifice. I gave up the prospects of mountaineering, which was another activity I really longed to try.

Quote:
With regard to the religious issues, I suspect the portion of the population of the Jewish faith is fairly low. Having said that, I don't think you be "slighted" or shunned because of your faith, people here are pretty accepting. I don't pay any attention to what faith my friends are, and I think most people here are the same way. I think the bigger question is, how much would you miss a large population that share your faith? As to why there are few Jews in the area, I'd say that's a good question. Undoubtably a part of that is the reputation the area has due to the Aryan Nations years ago.

I'm also making an assumption that the Jewish population here is low...I'm not really sure. I am unaware of any synagogs in the CDA area...but I couldn't tell you the location of any particular churches or temples either. I'm probably the wrong person to give you input here. I guess my point is that, in my experience, a person's faith just isn't that big a factor around here. Others will have different opinions.
Well, reputations have a funny way of scaring people. Some reputations are well deserved, others are not. It seems that Spokane does have a sizable Jewish population and the Chabad and other Jewish organizations are talking about setting up community centers in COeur d'Alene. As the town grows and more diverse groups of people come in, all the past wounds will be healed and forgotten. A place as beautiful as CDA, which such accepting people, will soon grow with a more diverse population. Of course, with growth (and sometimes diversity) comes positives and negatives.

Quote:
At the risk of sterotyping, I just don't picture that many Jews focused on outdoor activities, particularly hunting and shooting. However, the existence of the JPFO would tend to say I'm wrong about that...
Wow, glad you know about the JPFO. It was, and hopefully will still be, one of the greatest and most pro-active pro-2A/gun rights organizations in the country. Sadly, Aaron Zelman, the founder of the JPFO, died last week. It was very sad for Jewish gun owners like myself. I actually have to renew my JPFO membership, which expired just a week before Aaron's passing. I think his son is taking over the organization.

As far as the stereotype about Jews not like shooting, it is a bit of a broad generalization and inaccurate with regards to world Jewry. You see, about half the Jews on the Earth are actually well trained in firearms and combat. The Jews in Israel, who are more than half the Jews on Earth, are all trained with firearms from a very young age. However, your stereotype may hold true to Jews in the USA. But, things are changing slowly by slowly. There are more and more Orthodox and religious Jews who are becoming gun owners and many of them are voting Republican or conservatively.

With regards to hunting you are right. The issue with hunting is the Torah forbids it to some degree. This is a tricky issue and I obviously cannot explain it all here in this thread. Basically, animals are suppose to be slaughtered ina ritualistic manner by a Shochet with proper blessings and preparations from the Rabbis. Some Jews do hunt, but not so common.

Quote:
I hope you decide to make the move, the area and the people have a lot to offer.
Thank you I am very excited to visit and explore the area. I very well may move there. I guess I have to examine the situation in more depth.

Quote:
One of your comments made me smile in a way:

I'm from the Buffalo area, and I really miss the local options for food. Really good, cheap Friday night fish frys. A beef on 'weck sandwich, fried balogna with onions and cheese or a good cheesesteak. Good, local pizzarias, not some chain. And I REALLY would like to find a good order of wings somewhere in the West. Still, the food is the ONLY thing I miss at all, a very fair price to pay.

I realize you were talking about food that was acceptable for religious reasons, but still...
I hear New York cannot be beat when it comes to food, especially high quality cheap eats. In Oregon, you have to pay good money to have food that is good. Our Pizza is really crappy here, no doubt. A guy from Chicago had a restaurant and nobody's pizzas/calzones could compare to what he made.

With regards to the 1.5 drive to Eugene, the trips were not specifically about me acquiring Kashrut Kosher or religious food. Rather, the nearest health food store was in Eugene and I only eat organic and natural foods, which I believe personally is a form of kosher eating. Being Messianic, I don't follow the Talmudic Kashrut standards of Kosher. I do eat Bison, Venison and other meats slaughtered on the field that would be considered non-kosher by Kashrut standards. Where I lived on the Oregon coast was so remote that the only store that had a good selection of food that wasn't full of chemicals and other junk was in Eugene. That would be Sundance Natural Foods and Market of Choice, where I shopped a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
"Neo-nazism" or "hate groups" and "anti-government groups" can be different but some might try to blend them together. The latter rallying cry might be an easier public "sell" these days.

There was a "militia leader" arrested for making grenades and reportedly threating Obama in north Idaho late last year. Don't know all the details of that group's agenda but wouldn't be surprised if it was more than just anti-government.

I have followed the general issues of hate and extremism some and take it seriously partly because of what I learned about, heard and saw happen while I lived in the south a few decades ago. But, again, the issues are almost everywhere to some degree.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-27-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 04:57 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Wow, glad you know about the JPFO. It was, and hopefully will still be, one of the greatest and most pro-active pro-2A/gun rights organizations in the country. Sadly, Aaron Zelman, the founder of the JPFO, died last week. It was very sad for Jewish gun owners like myself. I actually have to renew my JPFO membership, which expired just a week before Aaron's passing. I think his son is taking over the organization.
I'm sorry to hear about Aaron Zelmans passing. From what I knew, he was a strong voice in the RKBA movement, I'm glad to hear his son is taking over. I used to be a lot more active on the various gun boards than I am now...too many interests, too little time (and $$$). Hence, "Toyman" .

Quote:
"Neo-nazism" or "hate groups" and "anti-government groups" can be different but some might try to blend them together. The latter rallying cry might be an easier public "sell" these days.
You are correct, and it is tremendously annoying that people that oppose ever increasing government spending, regulation and intrusion into individual lives (aka "anti-government" types) are labeled as racist by some. Our area is pretty strongly libertarian and independant, and quite a few own guns...in the eyes of some people that makes us all "anti-government militia members". Of course, little could be further from the truth.

In all too many cases, there's what you hear on the news or read in the paper, and then there's the truth. Too often they have little in common.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 AM

66 posts, read 150,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
Wow, glad you know about the JPFO. It was, and hopefully will still be, one of the greatest and most pro-active pro-2A/gun rights organizations in the country. Sadly, Aaron Zelman, the founder of the JPFO, died last week. It was very sad for Jewish gun owners like myself.
It was a sad day for all freedom loving Americans. Aaron Zelman's unyielding dedication to the constitution changed the face of the pro gun movement.

I will never understand why so many American Jews embrace the disarming of the citizenry, and what that represents, and clearly, neither did Zelman.

I had let my membership in JPFO lapse, (I'm not Jewish, but joined years ago out of respect for the organization), but when I heard Zelman passed away, I renewed it immediately.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im5150too View Post
It was a sad day for all freedom loving Americans. Aaron Zelman's unyielding dedication to the constitution changed the face of the pro gun movement.

I will never understand why so many American Jews embrace the disarming of the citizenry, and what that represents, and clearly, neither did Zelman.

I had let my membership in JPFO lapse, (I'm not Jewish, but joined years ago out of respect for the organization), but when I heard Zelman passed away, I renewed it immediately.
I let my GAO membership lapse, and need to join JPFO. I feel bad about not doing my part. Luckly, my NRA membership is life, makes it easy.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 AM

161 posts, read 396,461 times
To the OP, I am a minority (American Korean) and so is my family. Moved up 6 months ago. Haven't experienced any evidence of racism. Have gone all over the pan handle and have only experienced genuine courtesy.

After saying that, there are local nut jobs that like to stir the pot. Just last week, there were some white power guys protesting a local taco stand. But they didn't make the local news...thank goodness, cause I'm pretty sure that's what they were looking for.

there are always town idiots. Everywhere. But, per capita, this place as alot fewer vs. where I came from prior (San Bernardino).

Sometimes I think isolationism is equated to racism which, in my humble opinion, is incorrect. People just want to be left alone, to be free to live their lives. I sympathize with them. That's the beauty of this area. Some would say this place hates change and that 's a bad thing, I would say that's part of the reason I moved my family here. Live and let live. Live a simpler, more wholesome life. That there is one of the many appeals of Idaho.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 PM

21 posts, read 55,882 times
Racism is alive and well in Idaho.....especially the North.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE WOLF View Post
Source? Anecdotal evidence?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:32 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
Quote:
There can be a line between contributing to a discussion and throwing out opinion to stir the pot without any support.

Please be a contributor...elaborate and share your PERSONAL anecdotal experiences...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,002 times
Quote:
//www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...ml#post8196342

Appears The Wolf [MOD INSERT] has views that seem to be [/MOD INSERT] a tad racist, so maybe in The Wolf's home racism is alive and well.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 02-22-2011 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Let's attack ideas, not people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho