Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2006, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,448 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking to relocate to a smaller town in Idaho. Something with low population and good weather. I'm currently looking at Fairfield or Swan Valley, but I'm open to suggestions. What would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2006, 03:28 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
I do not know about Swan Valley. I do know Fairfield is COLD COLD COLD and the wind blows. LOL Maybe why it is a small town.Not sure how small it really is. There have been many times we could not even travel through Fairfield for blowing snow.

Not sure what you mean by good weather. We have lived in Clayton,population 27 and it is very cold there, Challis population 900 something and there is not a lot of snow but temps drop to below zero for a couple of months in the winter. Sometimes as much as 30 below.

We lived in Weiser,population 5000 something, and it was a fairly mild winter compared to Clayton and Challis. We live in Cambridge,popultion 360, now and we seem to like it for weather. There sometimes can be 3 foot of snow and temps get to about 10 below at the worst but we have seen it at 25 below for a few days ,only once, in the 11 years we have lived here.

I guess it all depends if you need to live where you can work,we are retired. So far we have spent 11 of the 20 years we have been in Idaho in Cambridge but now my husband is looking to move again. Sigh

Chris

Cambridge Valley.
http://www.fmtc.com/~shades_of_idaho/Areal7-8-05.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 PM

47 posts, read 202,695 times
Default Hagerman

If you are looking for good weather, small town feel, but good location, I suggest Hagerman or Glenns Ferry. One hour from either Twin Falls or Boise, mild climate and beautiful views. Let me know if I can help with any questions you may have...

Old 05-03-2006, 07:56 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Default hagerman

Tell me more about Hagerman please.
I am looking at that town myself.
I will be there next month to scope it out.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2006, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,734 times
Default Live From the Intermountain West

The decision depends on you. Would you rather live closer to Sun Valley and Boise, or would you rather live less than an hour away from Jackson Hole, the Tetons and close to fly fishing resorts which have been owned by pro athletes and some very famous east coast families? Yellowstone National Park is about 1-2 hrs. away (depending on which entrance you use to enter it).

Travel can be difficult a few days yearly in the winter from either. But, the more people that move into the areas, it seems like more travelers keep roads and other travelers safer.

Go visit both places, if you haven't recently, and try to determine what's the most important to you. I believe you'll know your own answer, based on services avalable, what businesses and other supports you will ultmately need, and other special issues for you, and the availability of what you need to be relativey close by.

Good luck and please let us know if you need more information as there are some wonderful webstes to explore .

Old 06-09-2006, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 23,553 times
Default Swan Valley is GORGEOUS!

My husband's family has two cabins in Palisades (just outside of Swan Valley) and Swan Valley is soooooooo pretty! The people are friendly too! Have you ever been there? How did you hear about it?

Old 06-14-2006, 02:12 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,542 times
I would go see them both first . for me both do not fit what your asking and that is comeing from an ex Idaho person .

Old 06-20-2006, 02:56 PM

46 posts, read 214,257 times
Never been to Fairfield but been thru Swan Valley many times since we lived in Alpine WY and SV is on the way to the big city for shopping (Idaho Falls). If you like Winter it is great. Summer is great, both weeks of it! <g? The seasons there can be June July & Winter. It is pretty sometimes but there is nothing there, no medical, no decent grocery stores but lots of bars so it would be just a hop skip & a jump to refill your fridge. Not cheap anymore either compared to when we were there (98-01). As someone said: visit first.
HTH
John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho