Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:34 PM

37 posts, read 81,862 times

Advertisements

In my opinion it is less about Repubs vs Dems than it is stupidity and low culture vs education mindedness and having some idea of what the rest of the world is like. I have met intelligent, articulate Republicans before so I know they exist, but they don't seem to be well represented here. Keep in mind that most of my time in northern Idaho has been spent in Priest River, but inbreeding is an issue here and I remain convinced that there is such a thing as sub-clinical FAS. Generally, if I talked about reading a book to a local, they either assumed I meant romance novels (blech) or looked at me as if reading is a waste of time.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM

65 posts, read 153,614 times
Just purchased a house in Rathdrum, and there are quite a few misconceptions in this thread. Have lived in So. Cal. most of my life, did a lot of research as this is a huge move for our family, and I am walking away from a 27 year old business that I built from scratch.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 PM

181 posts, read 435,625 times
Most people in CDA are on the right, I myself am very rightwing. In general it seems to be a live and let live place where folks try to do the right thing for their neighbor. I've lived here about a year and a half and have never looked back, I love this place and its people.

We have a few progressives/Marxists/liberals or whatever the secret password is this year. You see the odd Prius with an Obama for king sticker or one of those coexist stickers but they tend to be a quiet bunch.

Most folks here just get along, I saw far more hatred, anger and violence in the liberal bastion of Los Angeles than I've ever seen here. So over all I'd say its a conservative/libertarian/tea party town with a lot of emphasis on personal freedoms and personal responsibility.

But then what would I know I'm just a knuckle dragger republican with 5 college degrees.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 AM

Wanted to post before I get into it to make sure it was working, so here is my opinion based on over 3 years of research on my own. I have looked in Utah, Boise (Eagle, Meridian) Spokane and surrounding, North Dakota, Montana, North Carolina. I have actually lived in Nebraska, California, Utah, Eastern Washington, Priest river, Hayden Lake Idaho, and I did not see any inbreeding, the whole skinhead thing is/was a joke, and once I saw some idiot at a little league game make a comment about a Mexican kid, and 8 or so of the parents got up and firmly told the guy to leave and don't come back. (that was 28 years ago) The Whole reason for my move is freedom from oppressive government fees, taxes, and regulations, and yes a citizenry that hopefully will not tolerate it either. It is heart breaking to see what my once beautiful California has become, and to have to pull up deep roots and relocate. I only find taxes tolerable when you are actually getting some necessary service that has value. Anything else is repulsive. To give you an idea of how out of place we are where we live. I have 9 children (all with the same wife, and we are still married. Imagine that), and we home school, we visit health food stores regularly, and almost never go to a doctor, although they definitely have their worth, don't get me wrong. Organic food? Great, but I love McDonalds fries, and a Chocolate shake once in a while also. Coeur D'Alene has every modern amenity you could need, but still has the small town feel, and Spokane is pretty much fully self contained as far as anything else you may need, and is close by. Diversity is a PC code word for DISUNITY! It does not mean that we have to tolerate bad behavior, or some other countries culture imposed on America's! If you fly jets, you can not be Diverse, you have to be unified, and follow the rules of flying. If you came from a country that drives on the Wrong side of the road (LOL) I am sorry, your diversity is not going to be tolerated here. So my point Is that disagreeing with bad behavior does not make you intolerant, or racist. It doesn't matter what color you are, but it does matter how you behave. I have a live, and let live attitude. I don't want to bug anyone, and I don't want anyone telling me what to do either, but I will be the first one to come and help in any way I can when asked, and have found the people of north Idaho to not only be that way, but friendly and welcoming as well. But seriously why would you work so hard for example to get to America, and then try to change it into the crummy place you just came from? So I think if you are moving to a new place you should respect that, or don't move there. That doesn't make everybody red necks to guard their culture, and their home. BTW as it turns out my neighbors on both sides are retired LAPD, and both neighbors across the street are also California transplants, and literally almost everybody I have dealt with in this process of relocating, and buying a house in North Idaho are California transplants. I just changed over the utilities and even the girl at the electric company used to live here, the realtor, loan guy, and a ton of retired Fire and police from Ca live in North Id. You want to know their only regret? It's that they didn't move sooner!!!! The people in this entire country in my opinion are so sick of the diversity lie, and being told/forced what to do through regulation, taxation, and fees, and not being listened to at the ballot box, that the only thing left that they can do is vote with their feet, and move to a place that is more like they are, and that is what I am doing as we speak. Good weather can only go so far you know! Is it racist or bad to not want to live where people behave badly? I don't think so. Is it bad or racist for people to not want people to move to your city, or country and try to change it into where they came from? I don't think so. You know the old saying, when in Rome, do as the Romans do! When I get to the boarder of Idaho, I am going to remove my Ca. plates, and throw them away, and blend in!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 AM

13 posts, read 18,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS454ElCamino View Post
Wanted to post before I get into it to make sure it was working, so here is my opinion based on over 3 years of research on my own. I have looked in Utah, Boise (Eagle, Meridian) Spokane and surrounding, North Dakota, Montana, North Carolina. I have actually lived in Nebraska, California, Utah, Eastern Washington, Priest river, Hayden Lake Idaho, and I did not see any inbreeding, the whole skinhead thing is/was a joke, and once I saw some idiot at a little league game make a comment about a Mexican kid, and 8 or so of the parents got up and firmly told the guy to leave and don't come back. (that was 28 years ago) The Whole reason for my move is freedom from oppressive government fees, taxes, and regulations, and yes a citizenry that hopefully will not tolerate it either. It is heart breaking to see what my once beautiful California has become, and to have to pull up deep roots and relocate. I only find taxes tolerable when you are actually getting some necessary service that has value. Anything else is repulsive. To give you an idea of how out of place we are where we live. I have 9 children (all with the same wife, and we are still married. Imagine that), and we home school, we visit health food stores regularly, and almost never go to a doctor, although they definitely have their worth, don't get me wrong. Organic food? Great, but I love McDonalds fries, and a Chocolate shake once in a while also. Coeur D'Alene has every modern amenity you could need, but still has the small town feel, and Spokane is pretty much fully self contained as far as anything else you may need, and is close by. Diversity is a PC code word for DISUNITY! It does not mean that we have to tolerate bad behavior, or some other countries culture imposed on America's! If you fly jets, you can not be Diverse, you have to be unified, and follow the rules of flying. If you came from a country that drives on the Wrong side of the road (LOL) I am sorry, your diversity is not going to be tolerated here. So my point Is that disagreeing with bad behavior does not make you intolerant, or racist. It doesn't matter what color you are, but it does matter how you behave. I have a live, and let live attitude. I don't want to bug anyone, and I don't want anyone telling me what to do either, but I will be the first one to come and help in any way I can when asked, and have found the people of north Idaho to not only be that way, but friendly and welcoming as well. But seriously why would you work so hard for example to get to America, and then try to change it into the crummy place you just came from? So I think if you are moving to a new place you should respect that, or don't move there. That doesn't make everybody red necks to guard their culture, and their home. BTW as it turns out my neighbors on both sides are retired LAPD, and both neighbors across the street are also California transplants, and literally almost everybody I have dealt with in this process of relocating, and buying a house in North Idaho are California transplants. I just changed over the utilities and even the girl at the electric company used to live here, the realtor, loan guy, and a ton of retired Fire and police from Ca live in North Id. You want to know their only regret? It's that they didn't move sooner!!!! The people in this entire country in my opinion are so sick of the diversity lie, and being told/forced what to do through regulation, taxation, and fees, and not being listened to at the ballot box, that the only thing left that they can do is vote with their feet, and move to a place that is more like they are, and that is what I am doing as we speak. Good weather can only go so far you know! Is it racist or bad to not want to live where people behave badly? I don't think so. Is it bad or racist for people to not want people to move to your city, or country and try to change it into where they came from? I don't think so. You know the old saying, when in Rome, do as the Romans do! When I get to the boarder of Idaho, I am going to remove my Ca. plates, and throw them away, and blend in!
Great post. I too share the same ideology in my quest to live a better life with my family. Looking to leave CA as well to come to N. Idaho. All the best to you and your family...

Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 AM

Thanks. Now That I have a house in NID, I can't wait to get there!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 AM

117 posts, read 249,180 times
We moved here to be around more conservative like minded people. But we also have no problem with liberals who don't go crazy because you don't agree with them. We have liberal friends and they are normal. They are not angry people like other liberals. So I don't believe all liberals are bad BUT... In Vegas and California, they find out your conservative and they do the whole hate, death and crucify you speech. I was harrassed just for putting a picture of a political figure on my desk. They took a marker to it and drew all over the picture. I was bullied because of my political beliefs. I call that their way of manipulating people into shutting you up so their views stand out more. Kind of like communist China and Venezuella. They start to censor you by bullying you to death. So your afraid to say what you believe. But in China they just throw you in a workers camp until they conform you to what they want. Chavez of Venesuella now runs their TV programming and every morning he speaks to his people about what they should stand for. I refuse to be bullied by liberals. But I have no problem listening to them if they stop attacking me. So far CDA has a little of both parties. I do notice a lot more conservative. But pretty much everyone is so very nice liberal or conservative. Maybe the liberals here are just more mature then the ones in the southwest. Maybe they know that free speech is important and that not everyone will always agree with them. Where as Cali or Vegas they try to censor you by bullying tactics.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM

16 posts, read 35,486 times
VelvetSky, I feel your pain.

I've had my car keyed for having an small NRA sticker on my car. "Rifle" was overwritten with permanent marker to read "Retard." That's the thug mentality in my metro area and one of the many reasons why I'm looking at Idaho to be my new home.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 AM

117 posts, read 249,180 times
I think that is so sad, that someone would take time and energy to express hate on someone else by vandalism. Instead the healthier way is to just accept not everyone is going to agree with you. Sorry this happened to you Opel.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM

414 posts, read 1,094,898 times
I happened to be in one of Coeur d'Alene's bars with some friends last weekend when a guy in the middle of the room suddenly exploded with a series of expletives, followed by a loud, curse-filled rant about being surrounded by "a bunch of Obama haters." "Obama haters" was a term he repeated several times during the rant, and he also expressed his interest in moving back to a "sane town like Seattle." Despite everyone in the bar hearing him, no one confronted him, threatened him, openly berated him or anything like that. After a few minutes one of his friends calmed him down and he left a little while later.

My point is that even with lowered inhibitions and in a bar environment, Coeur d'Alene's residents tend to have a live and let live attitude, even when someone disagrees vocally and obscenely with the majority.

Note: I'm not saying Coeur d'Alene's bars are always happy-go-lucky. They are still bars after all, complete with all the usual problems that come with combining groups of people with alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho