Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,015,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I don't know about older people being the more conservative, but I do find in my experience that conservatives are far more vocal in everyday, real life than non-conservatives. Maybe just the tea party types. But age doesn't seem to play into it.
I think your comment about who is vocal and who is not is a matter of perspective. I've been a libertarian since well before libertarianism became popular. I'm talking 30 years or more, back when few people had even heard of libertarians, much less be able to describe what that political perspective stood for. I've always felt the liberals/progressives are guilty of assuming that everyone agrees with them, and are oft found to make statements that imply that anyone who doesn't agree with their point of view is an ignorant rube.

I suspect that this reaction is a result of our own point of view because we don't find the statements that we agree with to be arrogant and overbearing, but those from a different perspective often seem that way.

Just my $0.02.

Dave

Old 04-20-2014, 08:41 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,751,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I think your comment about who is vocal and who is not is a matter of perspective. I've been a libertarian since well before libertarianism became popular. I'm talking 30 years or more, back when few people had even heard of libertarians, much less be able to describe what that political perspective stood for. I've always felt the liberals/progressives are guilty of assuming that everyone agrees with them, and are oft found to make statements that imply that anyone who doesn't agree with their point of view is an ignorant rube.

I suspect that this reaction is a result of our own point of view because we don't find the statements that we agree with to be arrogant and overbearing, but those from a different perspective often seem that way.

Just my $0.02.

Dave
That could be. I was pretty struck though, by the EKG guy in the ER. I don't care what your political leanings are, you don't mouth off about them in a professional situation and most certainly not in the ER.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,015,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
That could be. I was pretty struck though, by the EKG guy in the ER. I don't care what your political leanings are, you don't mouth off about them in a professional situation and most certainly not in the ER.
I certainly agree with you in that situation.

In fact, I think in general we'd have a more civil society if folks of all political persuasions didn't make those sorts of challenging political statements around people they don't know. It's one thing to have a discussion with someone you know even if you disagree. It's quite another to make statements to strangers that unknowingly challenges their perspective.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 AM

7,384 posts, read 12,683,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I certainly agree with you in that situation.

In fact, I think in general we'd have a more civil society if folks of all political persuasions didn't make those sorts of challenging political statements around people they don't know. It's one thing to have a discussion with someone you know even if you disagree. It's quite another to make statements to strangers that unknowingly challenges their perspective.
Especially if they're sick and worried. Sorry you guys had to go through that, Misty. What a jerk (the EKG guy).

Old 04-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Especially if they're sick and worried. Sorry you guys had to go through that, Misty. What a jerk (the EKG guy).
Thanks, CFF.
I thought about complaining to Bonner General but my husband doesn't like the thought of anyone possibly losing their job over being a twit. He's mellowing as he gets older. He's 4 years older than I am and I guess I haven't quite gotten there yet.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,753 times
Default Seattle suburbs are 'live and let live'

Regarding Seattle, I have found this to be a very live-and-let-live environment regardless of what point of view you come from. At least that's how it is in the suburbs. In general, people just leave you alone and let you live your life. I am very socially conservative and haven't had anyone be hostile towards me about it.

Thanks for sharing about the hostility in Idaho and the disdain of hearing about organic foods, eating healthy, etc. These things are important to me, and I had no idea that Idaho considers these ideas liberal. Since when is good health liberal?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcity321 View Post
Regarding Seattle, I have found this to be a very live-and-let-live environment regardless of what point of view you come from. At least that's how it is in the suburbs. In general, people just leave you alone and let you live your life. I am very socially conservative and haven't had anyone be hostile towards me about it.

Thanks for sharing about the hostility in Idaho and the disdain of hearing about organic foods, eating healthy, etc. These things are important to me, and I had no idea that Idaho considers these ideas liberal. Since when is good health liberal?
I love the Seattle area and have been spending a good bit of time north of there. I have found people to be extremely friendly and non-political. As far as Idahoans being disdainful of organic and healthy foods, I haven't experienced that at all. I live in a small, blue collar, logging town and our local grocery store has a wonderful selection of organic and health foods. No disdain at all!

Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,190,427 times
I have never found Seattle to be "friendly"...people wise, socially awkward, reserved coupled with strained politeness maybe, but although I found it near impossible to make solid friendships if you are not a nerdy, tatted up, ultra liberal type...at least Seattle always felt very live and let live. Whenever I have been to Coeur Delane though, I am always amazed at how genuinely warm and friendly, and receptive the folks there are, imo. Felt like two different worlds.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:06 AM

98 posts, read 233,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcity321 View Post

A lot of the times the crowd that pushes the organic foods tries to ban anything that doesnt comply with it and thus forces everyone to adhere to their standards of what we should and shouldnt eat. I have no problem with more choices in almost any category, I just have a problem with the religion that organic food has become and how some who are caught up into it spend there time trying to force others to convert.

That being said, when I visited CDA area I noticed no real difference food wise regarding organic and all the other buzz words compared to that of southwest CT so I didnt really notice any disdain.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
I have never found Seattle to be "friendly"...people wise, socially awkward, reserved coupled with strained politeness maybe, but although I found it near impossible to make solid friendships if you are not a nerdy, tatted up, ultra liberal type...at least Seattle always felt very live and let live. Whenever I have been to Coeur Delane though, I am always amazed at how genuinely warm and friendly, and receptive the folks there are, imo. Felt like two different worlds.
I meant the Seattle area, not the city itself. That seems pretty much par for the course with most big cities. Except Boston and NYC. Seattle is (in my opinion) much less aggressive. I find most western cities friendlier than eastern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho