Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I brought my own:

Do y'all eat like grits and crawdads wayyyy down there in the south?
I like grits! We have some crawdads in the creek, but I've never eaten one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 AM

18,530 posts, read 1,428,363 times
Default Good grief, C B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I like grits! We have some crawdads in the creek, but I've never eaten one.

Do you mean you've never eaten one? You don't know what you're missing! (neither do I...)

Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM

I'll bet you haven't eaten spring fries. They beat crawdads by a mile.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:58 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
I've eaten prairie oysters. Anyone? Other than Banjo who has eaten everything on the range!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:36 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
I'll stick with regular oysters. Raw, on the shell with a little cocktail sauce. Yum!!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I've eaten prairie oysters. Anyone? Other than Banjo who has eaten everything on the range!
Not everything.
Some friends of mine, while we were out on a moving bender a half century ago, stopped and picked up a road kill badger. We pulled off the road and built a campfire.
Someone dared each of us to eat it. I passed. The other three didn't, and spent the rest of the trip hanging their heads out the windows while I drove.

The car should have been burned afterwards. By far the nastiest trip in my life.

I'm glad kids today don't do stupid stuff.

My paternal Grandma cooked and canned everything but the hoof and horns back then. The Depression hit my grandparents hard and they had 4 kids to feed, so nothing was wasted.
She was a great cook, and I always just ate what was put in front of me. I grew up eating head cheese and tongue sandwiches and other odd stuff, but I never knew until much later what I was eating. It all tasted good! But it wasn't all weird; we ate lots of chops, roasts and steaks, too. And a lot of game birds and trout.

The odd stuff was saved for up in the hills. She would send up big cartons of home-canned stuff with a half-dozen loaves of homemade bread. All the men except for one uncle couldn't cook a damn thing, so I ate lots of sandwiches up there, and whatever else came in a Ball jar.

Back then, there were still a lot of sheep, and most of the sheepherders were pretty good cooks. I ate a lot of lamb, always with some mint jelly, fried spuds with onions, and coffee that would peel paint at the sheep camps.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 AM

18,530 posts, read 1,428,363 times
Lamb, to me, needs mint jelly. I'm sure it helps with the coating it seems to leave in my mouth, if I don't have it. Has mint jelly fallen out of style today? I don't see a great deal of it in the stores.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2bfree View Post
Lamb, to me, needs mint jelly. I'm sure it helps with the coating it seems to leave in my mouth, if I don't have it. Has mint jelly fallen out of style today? I don't see a great deal of it in the stores.
Lamb needs to be cooked well done always. Otherwise, it does leave a fatty taste in the mouth. Most cooks don't know how to cook lamb these days, and cook it like beef, but lamb stays very tender, even when it's cooked until it's almost charcoal.
The jelly adds the proper tang, much like steak sauce does with steak, but fresh mint leaves will do just fine.

The sheepherders used stinging nettle in a pinch if there was no mint around. Stinging nettle, when either cooked or dried, is edible, and the sheepherders would pick some, then dried it in the heating frying pan before the lamb chops went in the same pan. The formic acid, the stuff that makes the nettle sting, was cleaned out of the pan with a little rock salt before the meat went into the pan. The nasty gloves they wore when doing everything were another matter- it was best not to ask how the nettle was picked.

Last edited by banjomike; 05-29-2014 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Lamb needs to be cooked well done always. Otherwise, it does leave a fatty taste in the mouth. Most cooks don't know how to cook lamb these days, and cook it like beef, but lamb stays very tender, even when it's cooked until it's almost charcoal.
A matter of opinion!

I like my lamb medium rare, and hold the mint jelly please! Tastes just fine to me that way, tender and juicy with no greasy taste that I can detect.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:55 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
A matter of opinion!

I like my lamb medium rare, and hold the mint jelly please! Tastes just fine to me that way, tender and juicy with no greasy taste that I can detect.
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho